The MT-07 Forum

Aftermarket Exhaust in California

hondanike

Hi guys, I am a new rider in California. The FZ-07 is my first bike. I want to install either Akrapovic or Yoshimura exhaust on my bike, but still hesitate due to what I have read about stupid California laws. I need opinions from fellow Californian riders who have installed aftermarket exhausts on their bikes. Have you ever been pulled over by cops and given tickets because of the exhaust? I am really confused by the exhaust laws and the fact that I see so many cruisers and choppers roaming California roads fine with super loud exhausts on. Would it be ok if I install the Akrapovic Carbon on my bike without the catalytic converter since this version doesn't have it? Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

SF bay area here. When I bought my cruiser it had cobra straight pipes with no baffle. That thing could set off car alarms three blocks away. I put five thousand miles on it like that before I switched it back to stock. I rode past many cops and was never pulled over. Of course I tried not to rev it near them. The sound was fantastic but it got old quick. I had my fun but now prefer a quieter ride. The trick, I think, is not act like a jerk on the bike because that with a super loud exhaust is just another reason for them to pull you over.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi guys, I am a new rider in California. The FZ-07 is my first bike. I want to install either Akrapovic or Yoshimura exhaust on my bike, but still hesitate due to what I have read about stupid California laws. I need opinions from fellow Californian riders who have installed aftermarket exhausts on their bikes. Have you ever been pulled over by cops and given tickets because of the exhaust? I am really confused by the exhaust laws and the fact that I see so many cruisers and choppers roaming California roads fine with super loud exhausts on. Would it be ok if I install the Akrapovic Carbon on my bike without the catalytic converter since this version doesn't have it? Thanks in advance.
Just do it man. Im from the Valley... I installed my Akra Ti on saturday and I love it 
just install it. no need for catalytic converter since we don't gotta smog the bike.

I live in California, and I've always had aftermarket (loud) exhausts on my Harleys, and just installed the Yoshimura on my new FZ07. I too had decided that I no longer desired a loud motorcycle, but just couldn't resist! With keeping the revs low in town and neighborhoods, you'll be fine. The Yosh, even without the insert, isn't too bad if you take it easy on the revs. Haven't tried it with the insert in, because I would need to take off the muffler to get the screw in without losing it inside the wall of the muffler. So keep that in mind before your installation.

Thank you so much for the affirmation guys. I just ordered the Akrapovic Carbon option through Revzilla. I initially wanted to go with the Yoshimura carbon, but it's out of stock until the end of this month. I like the sound of the Akrapovic Carbon just a little bit better, plus it's only $70 more than the Yoshimura. Maybe it's just me, but the Yoshimura sounds a little too similar to cruisers from Youtube videos. To me, this Akrapovic Carbon exhaust is a nice balance between the Akrapovic Ti and the Yoshimura carbon, sound wise. In term of look, I think the Ak. TI looks the best, then the Yoshimura, then the Ak. Carbon. That's ok because I will have so much fun hearing her roars while riding her anyway.

I'm in Orange County, CA and I've got the Yoshi installed without the baffle. Zero flack from cops. However, going with what others have stated, just don't ride like a douche and you'll be fine. If I see a cop, I click up a gear or two. But I've passed a couple on the freeway doin 80 and haven't gotten any flashers set on me. Even in Santa Barbara and I've been told those cops suck. I've also been advised by a friend who is on the force and his words were something to the effect of "I generally don't pull bikes over unless they're going WAY too fast or if they're acting like an idiot and putting others in danger"

Play nice and they'll leave you alone.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

Anyone know if dealers in cali will still service the bike with an illegal exhaust on it? I spoke to my dealer about getting an aftermarket exhaust and what i got out of it is that they could get a hefty fine if they get caught working on a bike with illegal parts.

• 5 months later...
How do the dealerships react when the bike is taken in for service when you have an "illegal" exhaust installed?
They dont say anything. . They just cant work on the exhaust itself.

Archived