The MT-07 Forum

Intro & New Mistress ... :-)

catfish

Good Morning,

I had lunch with a new mistress on Thursday. We went dancing, and she followed me home. A dark-skinned beauty who's favorite color is blue.

IMG_4247.JPG

I'm retired from full-time work, but teach folks how to ride motorcycles part time (MSF & TCT). When I'm not out enjoying a good ride. Street, dirt, track days, & a little racing since 1968. Its an overwhelming addiction I hope I never out grow.

I really like Italian dancers (2002 Aprilia Caponord with 145k miles, 2011 Beta 520RS with 10k miles in the garage), but this Yamaha is like a much-improved version of the old Honda Hawk GT. She whispers to me when we dance. :-)

Yes, it needs suspension for me (225 lbs.) for fast play & track days, but it works pretty darn well for a $7k beginner bike. The motor & handling are almost perfect. What a sweet little bike!!!

I noticed a few threads & discussion about stalling on the forums. I suspect folks are trying to engage clutch BEFORE revving engine. I can certainly make mine stall on cue if I do it that way. Modern emissions-controlled motors are too lean to have good, strong idle & off-idle throttle characteristics.

The method I personally teach folks on how to get underway on _ANY_ motorcycle is this;
(1) Crack throttle open to rev above idle rpm
(2) Hear the motor respond appropriately and if it didn't, give more throttle 'til it does...
(3) THEN eeeeease into the friction zone.

The other options I will be persuing are re-mapping and/or idle-fuel adjustments that should get rid of that lean idle.  Waiting for service manual to arrive later this week.

If you happen to see Santa Claus on a Liquid Graphite FZ-07 (or the Caponord or Beta) anywhere on the west coast, wave because its probably me! ;-)

Catfish ...

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome catfish! Nice bike. I like the windscreen, which one is it? Thanks for the explanation for the stalling situation. I think that's what was happening to me every now and then. See you on the road!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I can attest that is not happening during my two stalls. My clutch level was as close to the handlebar as possible. I would hope people would know what a friction zone is and how to feather it. If not please stay off the main roads and practice :(

Welcome!

Welcome catfish! Nice bike. I like the windscreen, which one is it? Thanks for the explanation for the stalling situation. I think that's what was happening to me every now and then. See you on the road!
I have that one on mine. It is the Madstad removable Flyscreen. I also have their 20" windshield for colder rides.  

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13002/.f

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I have that one on mine. It is the Madstad removable Flyscreen. I also have their 20" windshield for colder rides.  

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13002/.f
Good eye!  I'm impressed the Madstad flyscreen really does take the wind off my chest. I bought Madstad also to get the bigger windshield (22") for winter or long trips.

Thanks everyone for your welcomes! :-)

Catfish ...

Welcome! If you don't mind getting interrogated already, what size is that windscreen and how much was the whole setup?! Wanting a windscreen and like this setup!

Archived