The MT-07 Forum

Need gear advice

rapture333

Hey guys, I am what I guess you would call a prespective rider, I'm taking the class soon and have been looking into the FZ07 very seriously now, all around it looks like a great first bike!

I was wondering what was recommended for gear, and what is recommended for just going around town. Do you recommend wearing full gear all of the time, or can it be minimalized? I know I'm sure that's a tricky question, but here's the thing, I live in Key West in the Florida Keys, and if you have ever been to Key West everyone typically drives a bicycle or a moped, because everything is so close. Personally, I'd rather drive a motorcycle than a moped around town. Primarily going down town, and to the gym most often. (About 2-3 miles from home) I figure gloves, shoes and a full face helmet at the minimum. Would I be looked down upon for not dawning full gear? It seems to me that I am already dressing safer than 99% of the moped riders who dawn shorts, sandals and a t-shirt.

Speaking of gear, it is usually 90+ degree's and 100% humidity most of the year down in the Keys. What is some good, safe, riding gear that won't cause me to dehydrate myseld by the time I get to Miami? Cost is not really a concern in this department.

Thanks!

Minimum: helmet/gloves/jacket/boots/some kind of pants preferably Kevlar if city riding. 100 degrees is no issue if you get a good air flowing jacket(I'm californian/central valley ever felt 112 degrees? Dunno if it gets that hot there) Your skin will thank you when you crash. Just remember armor is very important as well.

Do research and decide what you want just know the risks of having inadequate gear in a crash.

I live in Florida. When I had my cruiser I had a non-DOT half helmet, half finger gloves and unless it was cold out a tshirt with jeans... lol I was lucky to have never wrecked. But my friends who I used to ride with did. Both in the same accident. Buddy who had the same helmet as me still had a crack in his skull, though the helmet did save his brain from spilling onto the road and saved him from brain damage. That was 3-4 years ago. I've finally gotten back on a bike, they almost died and honestly it scared me a bit. Now, full face helmet. Waiting on a modular for the summer heat, least I can open it up at lights. Wearing boots, leather jacket now, mesh with the pads for the summer and gloves. The mesh jackets are very light and will probably also save me from skin cancer... lol I still only wear jeans, but most are pretty heavy.

• Premium Member

Most of the textile mesh jackets with armor will suit you well. When it's hot I just wear my kevlar lined jeans with armor. Might get a little warm but nothing tremendously uncomfortable.

Gloves, boots and a full face helmet to top it off.

That's about it.

Everything went braap.

First thought: the FZ-07 is excellent for beginners and, as all the reviews and mag articles say, even expert riders. It's my second bike and it's very easy to ride and control but also very easy to get into hooligan mode with. You can ride it nice, or you can wind her out for all she's worth and it doesn't feel like you need more.

Gear wise, on the street, I'd recommend at least a good helmet, jacket, and kevlar jeans. My current setup is AGV carbon helmet, speed and strength textile jacket (great price), Dainese kevlar jeans, and Dainese Asphalt riding shoes (pricey for shoes but comfortable to wear everywhere all day, even when off the bike, and they provide ankle protection that most "riding shoes" can't)

When I started out, all I had was a $150 helmet, the speed and strength jacket, and some cheap gloves. But I soon realized what asphalt does to your hands (hand skin grows back slower than the rest of your body, or so I'm told), and what asphalt does to even thick denim jeans over 20mph.

Good luck buying gear! Check reviews on stuff and make the best decision. It can be an expensive initial investment especially after buying the bike itself. But it's well worth the price, beats a hospital bill! also, ATGATT, all the gear, all the time. Most accidents occur when you're within a few miles of your house. Weigh your options whether you'd rather be mildly uncomfortable and hot on your rides, or laying in a hospital bed unable to move because half of your body is a scab waiting to crack when you try to move.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Global Moderator
...Most accidents occur when you're within a few miles of your house...
That is exactly why moved. I should be safe now. 

• Premium Member

I'm in the Phoenix area, and it is regularly over 110 in the summer, with unrelenting heat from the sun. I wear a very breatheable helmet (Arai signet Q), a mesh jacket with armor, decent mesh riding gloves (icon), and mesh lo cut boots (firstgear). My gear (with the exception of the boots) is also white, to help cut down on heat as well.  

Up until the other day I was always wearing just regular jeans, because I couldn't find any riding pants with armor that I liked, and would feel comfortable wearing in the office. Then I found some Bohn armored mesh underpants -- think very VERY breathable long underwear (closer to nylons the ladies wear) with full armor (knees, shins, thighs, hips and tailbone) -- and they fit under a loose pair of jeans with no problem. Looking forward to the extra peace of mind when I ride from now on.

I'll probably always be an ATGATT kind of guy, and with the ridiculously hot weather armored mesh is the way to go.

My advice is that I've found out the hard way run-of-the-mill jeans won't do diddly-squat in a crash. Keep that in mind.
Depending on how you fall, that is very true. I decided to order of pair of reinforced jeans for cooler or longer ride days. My problem with pants is, unlike the gloves, helmet and jacket, you don't take the pants off... well I guess you could be it's a pain and I don't want to spend more time getting geared up or down than I do riding... lol

With the FZ being my first motorcycle I started off with; a full face, some short cuff boots, gloves, and a leather jacket (fall/winter). The boots I got were the Joe Rocket short cuffs; pretty comfortable at a great price. As far as jacekts go, a textile breathable jacket should be great for FLA. If you really want leather, I just picked up a Dainese C2 perf jacket and it seems to flow extremely well! They're on closeout at most vendors.

I'm also one of those ATGATT guys.

I always wear a full face helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. If it is a very short trip, I'll skimp on the pants sometimes, but not usually. My helmet has good airflow for summer, gloves have a mesh vent on top of the hand, jacket is perforated leather, and my boots are riding boots. I usually wear textile overpants for convenience, and they have a mesh vent near the crotch and on the front of the leg. All of my stuff is armored.

ATTGAT.

Always full face helmet, always armored jacket, always armored pants, always motorcycle boots.

I can live with an injury. I can't live with one that happened because I was too lazy to get proper gear on. Its that simple.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

ATTGAT. 
Always full face helmet, always armored jacket, always armored pants, always motorcycle boots.

I can live with an injury. I can't live with one that happened because I was too lazy to get proper gear on. Its that simple.
And I spelled ATGATT wrong....and I'm talking to myself. All is well.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

We knew what you meant.  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

And I spelled ATGATT wrong....and I'm talking to myself. All is well.
I had to go back and change mine...... darn dislexia
Its a bitch when you have dyslexia and OCD.

It's simply ADHD in my case.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, I am what I guess you would call a prespective rider, I'm taking the class soon and have been looking into the FZ07 very seriously now, all around it looks like a great first bike!  
I was wondering what was recommended for gear, and what is recommended for just going around town. Do you recommend wearing full gear all of the time, or can it be minimalized? I know I'm sure that's a tricky question, but here's the thing, I live in Key West in the Florida Keys, and if you have ever been to Key West everyone typically drives a bicycle or a moped, because everything is so close. Personally, I'd rather drive a motorcycle than a moped around town. Primarily going down town, and to the gym most often. (About 2-3 miles from home) I figure gloves, shoes and a full face helmet at the minimum. Would I be looked down upon for not dawning full gear? It seems to me that I am already dressing safer than 99% of the moped riders who dawn shorts, sandals and a t-shirt.

Speaking of gear, it is usually 90+ degree's and 100% humidity most of the year down in the Keys. What is some good, safe, riding gear that won't cause me to dehydrate myseld by the time I get to Miami? Cost is not really a concern in this department.

Thanks!
full face helmet visor down , reinforced gloves, jacket with elbow and shoulder pads, jeans or riding pants and boot or high tops !

rolltide268

Based on experience...take it for what it's worth - ICON Anthem 2 Mesh Overpant (breathe good for warm/hot days and have knee armor and reinforced rear area fabric,etc.) but just an fyi I don't wear them unless I am riding for the day as in a ride with buddy's or a trip or at night. I do too much errand running at work throughout the day to be taking them off/on multiple times a day when I live in a 5 square mile town. ICON Overlord textile jacket - good two and a half season jacket, good in summer heat, decent armor and I wear my jacket whether this or my winter jacket everywhere no exceptions. ICON Airmada helmet. ICON 29'er or similar gloves - inexpensive, flow good air, I wear gloves everytime but these are my choice when it gets hot out. Boots - uuuhhh....I only wear boots when I go on a trip (black Doc Martens that are ancient), don't ever wear them even for a day long ride but that may be dumb but it's what's comfortable for me. I usually wear Salomon's, Van's, Addidas...typical 'tennis shoe'...

This is what works for me and not at all a 'standard' to go by but just an fyi...

• Premium Member

If you a sort of tight budget I would recommend a icon airmada helmet as it has a ton a breathing holes, a dainese Evo leather jacket that is has a ton of breathing holes, a good set of leather gloves and good boots. At the end of the day you do need all the gear if you don't want to suffer in case of wreck, but get the helmet, gloves, a good armored jacket and boots. You can get good riding pants last but still get them.

ATGATT!!! Can't say it enough times. You'll always hear someone pipe up about how they crashed going yada-yada miles per hour in shorts and a t-shirt and they were just fine. If the story is even true (which usually, it's not) they were VERY lucky. The reality is even a low speed single bike accident when not wearing the right gear has the potential for very serious injuries depending upon how you land and what you land on/slide into.

Another piece of good advice is buy gear not an image. Meaning, buy gear that will protect you and use it. Don't be that idiot wearing the full face helmet unbuckled with an armored jacket while wearing shorts and flip-flops. (If this offends anyone on here, sorry but you're an idiot.)

As for brands, honestly it doesn't matter. If they are a reputable company (Klim, Joe Rocket, Icon, S/S, Alpinestars, Dainese, etc, etc) the gear will do its job if it's sized right and worn correctly. It's already been stated on here what parts need the most protecting. My couple of pennies is if your jacket doesn't come with a CE approved back protector then ante up and buy one (I'm partial to D3O but that's just me). Also I've recently found that an armor rig (under shirt with armor and hard parts), armor shorts, and individual knee pads give the best protection and fit and then you can wear them under a variety of different gear without that gear needing to have its own armor. It gets pricey but so do ER bills.

fromthecage

@tino206 as much as I adore my Dainese gear, I wouldn't quite consider it budget gear. If I wanted a budget leather jacket I would probably look into Joe Rocket, Sedici, etc

+1 on that I've heard very good things about Sedici's quality for its cost. Cycle Gear seems to be the best place for the motorcyclist on a budget.

A good way to get higher end gear at low prices is as close as your local Craigslist. Gear whores like me are forever selling things on the cheap to clear room for new stuff. Obviously I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're looking for a helmet. But, with a jacket or pants you can obviously tell if it's been damaged to the extent it no longer offers protection.

• Premium Member

I owned full gear before I purchased a motorcycle. It's definitely an investment that you can't put a price on. Being protected in case you go down is a must. With that being said Dainese makes some solid breathable textile jackets.

Archived