The MT-07 Forum

Brake pads

fastfredyb

Does any body have a preference for brake pads?  I went to the dealer and the pads alone were like 80$ for the front alone.  Sorry but that's waaaaaaaay to much . Bikemaster, EBC, any other other decent brand?

This is what I hate about motorbikes, I can't just go to the local Autozone, Oreilly's, Napa....so on and so forth.

Give me your opinion.

When my FZ-07 was less than a week old, I replaced the stock front pads with EBC HH-rated ones.
(They're the same EBC pads used on a 1998 YZF-R1, by the way.)

I did this to get more braking power, and they delivered.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wait, decent brake pads are this cheap and adds more braking power? Why doesn't every FZ owner do this mod instead of stainless steel brake lines?

I've had the EBC HH front pads for nearly all of the 9,000-and-something miles on my FZ07.
Front brake rotor wear looks normal.

Why not more swapping to these pads?
My guess is a combination of not knowing about them and/or believing the aftermarket brake lines should be the first thing done.
Probably for a touch of bling, too.

The last discussion I remember about brake pads I distinctly remember a professional warning people about using high performance brake pads that aren't designed for street use. Apparently, some people want the very best pads and mistakenly buy them so read up before you buy to make sure they are right for your bike.

Beemer

• Premium Member

If you want a step up from the HH, EBC makes the EPFA, which are great dual purpose street/track pads. I've been using them for a year and a half, 20+ track days and thousands of street miles. Rotors look great, and pad wear seems minimal.

:)

- Paulie

Bendix make some nice pads. I am a fan of the carbon /metallics ( NOT STRAIGHT CARBON for the road) but I think ebc, sbs, bendix, vesrah and quite a few others make some great metallics pads. I suspect the stock pads are chinese/Thai/Indonesian/Indian cheapies to keep the cost down. I would happily be corrected, but I think buying any name brand quality pad is going to be an upgrade.
I had the same problem with an early Hyosung. Brakes were aweful and wooden. Changed to ordinary vesrahs and the brakes improved immensely ( even more when I made the disc actually parallel to the pads and stopped the caliper flexing under load...)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have Ferodo HH pads on the front of my Aprilia that are suppose to be more Street oriented than track. http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/motorcycle/brake-pads-and-shoes/sintergrip-road-st/ I had the "Platinum" ones (a std. organic pad). The change in braking was is noticeable - especially when squeezing hard on that lever.

Galfer also makes a range of good pads that will be better than OE organics .

Archived