The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

I've got about 2500 miles on mine, and the majority of it is from a 40 mile, mostly freeway commute. It says I'm getting about 43 mpg... I'm 6'1 ish and about 230lbs, so there is that to contend with. I'm usually going between 70 and 85mph, but I have been known to push it up over 100 from time to time when I hit a couple stretches of road with good visibility and no places for cops to hide =p

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only on my second or third tank, but my AVG says 57mpg. I've got maybe 200-250 miles on her. I probably drive like an old woman most of the time, as I generally abide by whats in the manual.

• Premium Member

I think there is a huge difference in mpg based on riding style. My car is a Civic Si and people claim to get 27 mpg. I hit VTEC every time I accelerate, and hit red line every now and then 'cuz it's fun. I'm lucky to get 21. Same thing goes with the FZ. I know I could get much better gas mileage if I stayed in "ECO" mode, but... what fun would that be? I'm still in "break-in" and, although I'm not a fan of Motoman break-in process, I do believe in varying RPM and not sitting on any RPM number for too long. So... Long story short... I rev the crap out of my bike and do some inadvertent wheelies now and then, and still get 52 to 54 mpg. My mileage has gone up since I installed an Akrapovic Ti exhaust, and the power and torque feel better too (could be plecebo), but in the end, if I wanted to nurse it, I think I could get much better gas mileage (but I don't have the self control). :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Strangely enough, there is a certain point where I think my mileage is better when I've got some RPMs. No real numbers to give you, but just looking at the "current gas mileage" number on the LCD, babying it isn't best mpg.

Why can't left turners see us?

Last time I checked, I'm getting a little over 47mpg. My throttle happiness knows little bounds. I'm not necessarily going very fast, but like getting to the speeds I ride at pretty quickly. :-D

Guest Ralph

On a ride with a mate on a small bike over 53 miles on very twisty up and down lanes
rarely getting into 5th or 6th and not getting over 60 mph the trip said 83 UK MPG
it always reads low by 3 to 5 mpg so really about 85 UK MPG that's about 70 US MPG
amazing for a near 700cc twin.

Bikie says she's averaging 54 mpg. and that's a mix of suburban riding and back country roads/ very little highway. I bet it would get the claimed 58 mpg. if only highway miles, I'm sure of it. Of course riding styles differ and affect mileage differently. I generally accelerate (when taking it easy) with about 1/4 twist or less on throttle and shift around 3 to 4k rpm. so my shifts are close and I always keep it in the ECO range .... unless of course I get a sudden adrenaline surge and then it's damned the gas mileage, a rocket should be ridden as such!

Beemer

Just returned from a trip from Charlotte, NC to Titusville, FL, including several day trips while I was there.  Averaged over 61 MPG for 1933 miles.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Most riding was 55 to 70 mph. 

• 3 weeks later...
njdevils1990

Just filled my FZ07 on Tuesday, after a 100 mile ride. This got me wondering how well others are doing as far as fuel efficiency and tank mileage. I went 205 miles on 3.1 gallons of fuel, averaged 67.9mpg and had the fuel trip go on at 180 miles.

Best MPG 69.0
Best tank trip 205 miles
Furthest on f trip 25 miles
most fuel at fill up 3.2 gallons

Backed up by my fuelly account that I use religiously.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

njdevils1990

In full gear I am 155-160(depending on if I'm just in leathers or with heated/rain gear and/or backpack), 5'10" my worst mpg was 50, that was during this past winter with temps in the 0-30°F range.

308144.png

njdevils1990
308144.png

308144.png

My onboard computer indicates 49.3 MPG and i cannot get it to deviate from that no matter how i ride.

I weigh 205 with gear.

I considered trying Fuelly but since my gearing is now different, I just keep telling myself "you didn't get a bike for gas mileage". But even before the gearing change, can't seem to get more than 45mpg and around 145 miles when the last fuel dash starts flashing.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I am getting between 48 and 64 mpg. I have a running total and hopefully I will get a more accurate reading as I ride more. I DID by the motorcycle for the fuel mileage (And the fact that I didn't need to drive a car to get around town) (And the fact that riding a motorcycle is fun) (And I the FZ-07 is awesome) .....and Where was I?

Oh right, even with my mileage I am loving the $10 premium gas fillups.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

I manually calculate @57-61 mpg. Usually, almost always, I come out to 60 mpg.

150 lbs, 5'8", Yamaha saddlebags, @marthy slip-on and EJK.

Edit: I'll add that I was using premium for the first 4,000 miles or so then switched to regular. I used star brite (2 bottles) for about another 1,000 miles or so. Now I just fill up with regular. Nothing changed to me. Performance or mpg wise, so I'm just gonna fill up with the good ol' regs for now on.

I ride around 500 miles a week at a minimum and put $5 to $6 in her every other day. Saves me a lot of money overall

Everything went braap.

Guest Ralph

I ran mine to the point it started cutting out under acceleration,
running slow 50/60 mph it did 228 miles and took 13.39 ltr to fill
about 3.5 US gall it did 48 miles from when the display started to
flash to starting to cut.

njdevils1990

That's impressive

308144.png

njdevils1990

Thank you for moving the thread, I tried searching for an MPG thread.

308144.png

Guest Ralph

It seems that you cant quite get or use 14 ltr's in the tank,
I am interested in such things as here in the UK fuel stations
are shutting down and I do some quite long rides so it's good
to know how far it will go, would rather avoid a push of any
distance.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you'll find this hard to believe. I couldn't believe it. I just got back from a country ride. Filled up before. Did all country roads and a couple top speed runs.

Averaged 62 mpg.

Whaaaa??? That can't be right. And I'm in the US. Tripometer had 168 miles and I always fill up to the ring. It took 2.7 gallons.

Archived