The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

Well, that contradicts what we experienced on my bike - as I wrote, my cousin using 3rd and 4th gear used a lot more fuel than I do.

I typically use 6th gear above 40 mph, I even rearely shift down to pass slower cars as there is plenty of power on tap. Driving my car, a Skoda Superb, I usually shift into 6th around the same speed, the 1.8 litre turbo turning about 1300 rpm. Even loaded with passengers and luggage it will climb pretty steep hills at such low rpm fairly easily, but I will not let it climb hills with less than 1500 rpm showing. Max torque is found between 1500 and 4500 rpm, so quite different from the FZ. Still, I have done long-distance drives with 3 passengers in our hilly country getting 44 mpg. City driving return 30 mpg. If, OTOH, i use lower gears and more rpm, using 4th instead of 6th etc., it use 15 % more petrol.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

It should be grins per mile... I know I didn't buy the FZ-07 for MPG... between my FZ-07 and FJ-09 for example it's only about 5-7MPG diffrence between the 2 but after I start running past the 3 digits for long runs the FJ-09 just sips fuel when the FZ-07 is gulping down gas...

EDIT:
FZ-07 70rwhp...12sec 1/4 mile
FJ-09 120rwhp...10 sec 1/4 mile

for almost 2x the rwhp the FJ-09 is far more efficient for its mpg than the extra 5-7 mpg the FZ-07 makes in my book...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I agree (about the fun part), I do not use tall gears to save fuel, but because I find it more comfortable. Higher revs means more vibrations and the engine sound stressed when I'm just cruising. If I rode faster than 60 mph regularly I'd fit taller gearing because after 60-65, the engine starts to sound busy to me. And there is such an abundance of low-end grunt that even fanging in the mountains I tend to shift up in the 5-6k rpm range, and it still storms up to speed. Anything above 8.5k rpm seems to make more noise than power, and over 9500 it is mostly finished. It can be hauled higher, but it just sounds strained. Not having to wind out an engine is for me a huge asset.

I've only got 350 miles on my FZ and I've been averaging around 50-55. Like Rick mentioned, I have noticed that going 60 in 6th does seem to lug the engine with elevation changes. I've seen the instant read out upwards of 60-70 when cruising while keeping the RPM's in the sweet spot.
Definitely keep the revs up until you have more miles. It's way harder on a new motor to run lower revs and make the motor work, than have it a gear lower and get into the torque curve. 
Roll the gas on smoothly in 3rd and 4th gear now and then, gradually increasing the revs and then slam the throttle shut to let the bike coast down. This puts pressure on the rings and helps to seat them. 

I've always sorta suspected the reason my Aprilia gets such good mileage (some guys only average in the mid 30s) is due to the fact that it was a dealer demo bike and the dealer broke it in, shall we say, hard and fast, lol. After 15 years, it doesn't use a drop of oil either.  

i just wish the FZ's most buzzzz doesn't happen right at 5k. This is where the fun/sweet spot starts, imo. 

And pretend like that instant read-out isn't there. 

Well, that contradicts what we experienced on my bike - as I wrote, my cousin using 3rd and 4th gear used a lot more fuel than I do.  
I typically use 6th gear above 40 mph, I even rearely shift down to pass slower cars as there is plenty of power on tap. Driving my car, a Skoda Superb, I usually shift into 6th around the same speed, the 1.8 litre turbo turning about 1300 rpm. Even loaded with passengers and luggage it will climb pretty steep hills at such low rpm fairly easily, but I will not let it climb hills with less than 1500 rpm showing. Max torque is found between 1500 and 4500 rpm, so quite different from the FZ. Still, I have done long-distance drives with 3 passengers in our hilly country getting 44 mpg. City driving return 30 mpg. If, OTOH, i use lower gears and more rpm, using 4th instead of 6th etc., it use 15 % more petrol.
You're quite right on that Faffi! The FZ works most optimal at 3-3.5k RPM, and most certainly doesn't lug at anything above 4k RPM, even at hard throttle, towing a caravan! (Okay, maybe not a caravan..)
At low speeds, the MPG is directly related to gearing, which is why I changed my sprockets to 17/38t (to get taller gearing).
I now do about 70MPG average riding mostly 70MPH on the interstates (which is amazing).

If anyone else would repeat what I did, (putting taller gears on) I wouldn't recommend combining the 17t front and 38t rear, as it gives you a very small window of optimal efficiency.
17/38t is too tall for the city (in 6th gear), as at 3k RPM I'm doing 55MPH.
So I would recommend 17/39t for better fuel economy.

Initially I thought the engine was lugging at 3-4k rpm, but it's not true. It's just how this type of engine works.
THis engine might lug at 2.5k RPM, but at 3.25-3.5k RPM it has all the power and momentum to run full throttle in final gear (with a 17/38t), which means at 3k RPM stock it's perfectly fine to open the throttle.

Archived