The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im getting 50mpg us gallons and miles and I sincerely wish the USA would convert to the metric system! lol

RRokay Raggie

It seems both this fz07 and my previous bike, the honda nt700v had large reserve fuel amounts, I wonder if this is to keep the fuel pump submerged/cool/healthy ? I could get 250 miles range out of the NT700v and the needle was on "E" at 180 miles. At 55mpg that over a gallon reserve on the honda and it looks like the fz has a gallon reserve as well.

Pesky burp shield in the fz07 gas cap is a real nightmare I wonder if I am actually filling the tank?

Its raining
I'd like to be riding,
so on I ramble

RRokay Raggie

• Premium Member
It seems both this fz07 and my previous bike, the honda nt700v had large reserve fuel amounts, I wonder if this is to keep the fuel pump submerged/cool/healthy ? I could get 250 miles range out of the NT700v and the needle was on "E" at 180 miles. At 55mpg that over a gallon reserve on the honda and it looks like the fz has a gallon reserve as well.  
Pesky burp shield in the fz07 gas cap is a real nightmare I wonder if I am actually filling the tank?

Its raining
I'd like to be riding,
so on I ramble
I've noticed this too. The fuel gauge (Bars) drop down fairly quickly but that last bar seems to stay on there forever. I get an average of 57 MPG - US. I baby it still as I'm almost done with the break-in period. 

• Global Moderator

I ran it harder during the last tank, including a trip with passenger: 49mpg (us)

Fuel efficiency is my obsession! So here goes my latest tank report. Followers may know that the 25 MPG with my former mounts (900SS, ZX12-R, and R1100RS) were poor excuses to justify donning helmet, gloves, and Tour-master sweat suit for crash protection. My weekly trip is 130 miles of super slab in high volume hours. Sadly 3.7 gallons is not going to get her done running ahead of the pack WFO.

Previously 30 miles in bumper to bumper lane splitting increased the average that 1.4 gal remained after 44 miles of flashing reserve.

Both times I hit reserve 100 miles out.

So without the +60 MPG readings in traffic I was wide open for the entire fuel load. Reserve at 100 miles, 30 miles to go...

20 miles later as I cracked it wide open again I got the dire warning of starvation. She bogged out! Hoping to avoid a sweaty push I took the next exit and gassed up within four miles. Only with full throttle/high RPM did I get the bog. Apparently the fuel pump was in cavitation (sucking air).

Vital Statistics: 128 miles WFO equals 3.4 gallons consumed! Yes my brothers.. YHSRVT was a quart short! 3.444 gallons filled the 3.7 gal tank. 38 MPG is still better than a Prius, and weather permitting more fun! Previously the average was 59 MPG, when you run the ton you will pay more at the pump.

Cycle World reports on the 107 HP FZ09 "the average mpg indicated by the trip computer was 33 mpg, which, given the 3.7-gallon fuel capacity, works out to a 120-mile range and the distinct possibility of the fuel light coming on before 100 miles. Yamaha claims 44 mpg."
Still these hooligan bikes are delivering more smiles to the miles!

Yamaha goes naked 3 ways. At DHY my 7 was parked next to big brothers, 8 & 9. Amazing how similar they are. Frame and pipes are the big diff. That 9 is awesome, but who wants to gas up every hour?

More specs:
FZ-07 $6,990
689cc 2-cylinder 74hp
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 58 mpg

FZ8 $8,890
779cc 4-cylinder 95HP
Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal
Fuel Economy 39 mpg

FZ-09 $7,990 107HP
847cc 3-cylinder
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 44 mpg

Recently the gas light went off on the FZ07, and I had put on about 5 miles after the fuel light went on. I filled the tank until I could see fuel cresting the bottom of the receptical, and the total amount of fuel registering on pump was only 2.7 gallons...  I thought the tank held 3.7 gallons, and if so, does the fuel light really go off when you have about 1/3 of a tank left?

Matt

Just got through a 260 mile ride thru my local twisty mtn roads up and over Wrightwood (local ski resort during the winter) and got around 168 miles before it went to 1 bar on the fuel gauge. This is mix of spirited riding and fwy jaunts and I averaged, according to the trip computer 59 mpg. I can't complain about the fuel economy but the fuel gauge seems awe fully conservative. The most I've put on a single fuel up is about 2.5 gallons so I'm left scratching my head with that fact. Oh well, I guess you just have to be conscious of that fact.... Better safe than sorry. Cheers!

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

Dravyck, this isn't a MPG question, this is a how many gallons actually fit in the tank question. The fuel light started flashing which tells me that the fuel tank is almost empty, but I was only able to fit in 2.7 gallons into it.

Dravyck, this isn't a MPG question, this is a how many gallons actually fit in the tank question. The fuel light started flashing which tells me that the fuel tank is almost empty, but I was only able to fit in 2.7 gallons into it.

Well I have two counts to add..

First time the fuel bar flashed on me..I filled her up right away with only 134 miles done and only 2 gallons added! That's 67 mpg.

The next time I waited a little longer.
I went 154 miles and I was doing 75-90 mph speeds for most of it. I only added 2.8 gallons and that comes to 55 mpg. This is the worst I've gotten

My average has been 60's

"I cracked it wide open again I got the dire warning of starvation. She bogged out! Only with full throttle/high RPM did I get the bog. Apparently the fuel pump was in cavitation (sucking air)." So I was dead empty after 130 miles of WFO Interstate, 38 MPG. My advice is to open her up as you get low on fuel, you will know when the end is near!

olderthandirt
"I cracked it wide open again I got the dire warning of starvation. She bogged out! Only with full throttle/high RPM did I get the bog. Apparently the fuel pump was in cavitation (sucking air)." So I was dead empty after 130 miles of WFO Interstate, 38 MPG. My advice is to open her up as you get low on fuel, you will know when the end is near!
So you are saying that you rode 130 miles at wide open throttle. Where do you live...on the Autobohn?  

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

Last fill up was a disappointing 5.5 L/100km --> 42.77 MPG US according to my display  :o

And I wasn't even going crazy, not that the speed limit has any meaning to me.

I had done 200km and filled it up with 9.15 liter. That would mean I did 4.57 L/100km --> 51.41 MPG US.

Could it be that the on board computer is 20 % off? 

Last night I was on E. wondering...what does the fuel warning look like...oh that flashing thing must be it :) :)

I am getting about 46mpg

Street 39-50, freeway though...If I just roll it on economic mode, like literally hold it and not change speed 85, there's this one time it said 99 for a few seconds haha

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

After a day of running up twisty mtn roads and 140 miles, got around 51 mpg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

• Premium Member

Getting 49mpg with 200 miles on the clock. Put 2.7 gallons in after 140 miles with the gauge flashing.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

scordiaboy515

I have 435 miles on my bike and the last tank got 55 mpg, mostly highway and mountain roads.

My mileage was only OK at first. After 500 miles it improved. On a full tank of highway riding, the bike said 57 mpg. Doing the math with the fill up gallons computed to 61...in either case its good. If I ride a full tank of city riding, with almost zero highway, I get 46-49 depending on how hard I ride. With how fun the bike is, all take it!

I'll have to do an odometer check, I now have 457 miles.  My MPG has been really great.  First fill 56mpg, 2nd 61 and  3rd 68. 

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I am a little confused on the whole mpg rating for this bike. I just got mine last Thursday night and Sunday rode about 160 miles mix of highway, twisties, traffic, stopping and idling for about a half hour total. And today 130 miles all highway and ran out of gas...

• Global Moderator

You did 290 miles on one 3.7 gallon tank? That is about 78 mpg! Pretty impressive.

Archived