The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

• Global Moderator

Now that more and more people get their FZ-07's I was wondering what kind of fuel mileage you do on average.

I know that these machine are not made to hyper mile and should we even care what MPG we get as long as we have fun riding. It is however interesting to know because having a longer range on a tank is always a bonus.

I started with a disappointing 45 mpg while breaking in the engine. Kipawa said he saw 65 mpg so I guess riding style has a lot to do with it.

I took it easier during a longer trip and got 52.
This is closer to what the factory states (an estimated 58 MPG).

Today my friend picked up his new Cruiser, a Yamaha VStar 650 and I joined him for his first ride home. And he has a different riding style for sure because when we got back I averaged 62 MPG !

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest montana07

I started at 42 MPG, and now it reads 49 MPG, but I haven't reset it yet so it's likely a bit higher

• Global Moderator

They say that once they have some mileage on them, the fuel consumption gets better.
I find it hard to drive slow with this thing. It seems that likes to cruise at 70 mph

• Premium Member

OK so can't remember what I posted last time in other thread but here are my latest numbers:

Second last tank: 64.6 MPG (Imperial) city and highway and back country roads

Last tank (today): 72.1 MPG highway and back country roads

My computer which was only reset when I got bike at 3km and now I have over 600km shows 4.6 l/100km which is 61.4 MPG.

Loving the gas mileage. Better than my Ninja 250. In town and back country roads jack rabbit starts loving the torque and acceleration. On highway I have been pretty much 110kmh to 125kmh and peaked at 145kmh so maybe I'm babying it but fast enough for me and my licence!

• Global Moderator

Oh wait, your measuring in Imperial lol

I was worried that mine was way out of whack compared to your bike but now it all makes sense.
So my easier ride to Ottawa last week was 52 mpg US so 62 imp
and my best so far (but no fun) was 62 US so a whopping 74.4 mpg imp

I'm at 1300 km so far (about 800 miles)

• Premium Member
I was worried that mine was way out of whack compared to your bike but now it all makes sense.

Aren't we in Canada? Big Canada Day celebration in downtown Ottawa in front of those national capital buildings?  Really Guru you need to get out of the kitchen more! ;)

• Premium Member

Aren't we in Canada? Big Canada Day celebration in downtown Ottawa in front of those national capital buildings?  Really Guru you need to get out of the kitchen more! ;)
Hey my winking smiley didn't appear!!!

Second last tank: 64.6 MPG (Imperial) city and highway and back country roads 
Last tank (today): 72.1 MPG highway and back country roads

Well, my fuel consumption were similar than Kipawa's for my break in period.  66 mpg (imperial) for backroads to 72 for mixed highways and backroads.  Very near the cunsomption of my previous WR250X. I'm amazed by the FZ-07.

I'll check what is my fuel consumption now. I guess that low 50 would be right. For playing in the twisties, numbers will be lower. But seems to me that the FZ-07 is more fuel efficiency thsn my previous SV650S AND is as fun in the twisties or more. ;)

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

lol, you mean there is a world out there?

Yes we are in Canada, but Trudeau kinda screwed it all up back in the '70 trying to introduce the metric system but didn't push all the way through. So now we are stuck with 2 systems, metric and standard.

So confusing and everybody converts everything no matter what system they use. celcius to fahrenheit, mile to km, feet to meters, inches to cm ect..

As for mpg, It gets even weirder. Liter/100km is the official measurement, but the average Canadian also uses Imperial. Where I live people use US MPG, maybe because we are 15 minutes from the border.  I convert no matter what someone uses back to Km/L, because I want to know how many km one liter takes me.

I'm a metric guy  ;) Here's why:

WorldMapMetric-1024x4931.jpg

The metric system just makes more sense and is easier to use, maybe that'll be the one thing Obama can get right and swap us over to the metric system.

Guest montana07

57 MPG on today's riding, town, highway, and twisty mountain roads. I wasn't babying her, so it seems yamaha's estimate was a bit low.

• Global Moderator

Last tank was 4.3 l/km >> 54.7 MPG US >> 65.7 MPG IMP >> 23.2 km/l >> 14.45 Mi/l

Pretty much normal driving, no highways. Not bad, It seems to me that they do get better mileage after first service.

I'm at 1400 km / 870 miles.

Last tank was 4,5 L/100 km = 63.5 mpgimp = 52.9 mpgus = 22.5 km/L = 13.96 mi/L

Normal riding except for a portion of highway (around 70 km or 43 miles).

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Fuel consumption varies a lot depending where i was riding. I averaged 3,7 l/100 km. My last tank gave me 4,42 L/100 km (highway jaunt). On forest roads, usually i got around 4 l/100 km. Il all depends of the right wrist. I saw 3,1 l/100 km in the break-in period. Always hated the break-in period. But with a 250 cc engine, it was a nightmare.

• Global Moderator

Best I ever got with the X was 70 MPG US. (about 3.4 l/100km) But I noticed that I was pushing it harder and harder and in the end I could barely squeeze 125 km out of a tank without running dry.

Hey, i'm a curious guy. So i pushed the limit of the range of my 07. I know that the level of fuel is low when the last segement of the fuel meter and the fuel level arning indicator are flashing. The problem is i don't know if the last segment of the fuel meter disappears, do i found my self with no gaz. My V-Strom 1000 has some gaz left even when all the segment of the fuel meter were off. Only the fuel level warning indicator was flasing.

After 61.2 km on reserve with the 07, i stopped for fuel. It took 12.175 L to fill it up. So i guess that i could stretch the distance. The goal is to reach the 13 liters mark. 1 liter left in the tank must be sufficient for the fuel pump to avoid problem.

Has someone tried to check the autonomy of the 07?

Killafornia

Been getting about 48MPG city with a lot of stop and go traffic. Hopefully it gets better after the break in period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the first sign of the last fuel segment and the fuel level warning indicator are flashing, around 9.6 liters (2,54 gus) of fuel is used. So around 4,4 liters of fuel are left. So, the FZ-07 would be the bike with a long range when the low fuel indicator is flashing. Good for about 93 km (58 miles).

Good thing to know when you're in an isolated region. I guess it's because i used to ride dualsport bike. :D

Guest montana07

Wow, the reserve is about 1/3rd of the tank. That seems sort of extreme. Good info though lonerider!

Yeah I had a similar experience.

I filled up with 91 octane. US blend.

Just for shits and giggles.

I went 137 miles and the bike had only 1 fuel bar left.

When I filled up, only 2.1 gallons entered the tank.

65MPG! And that's with cruising between 70-90mph

• Global Moderator

Wow, thats amazing, MPG US right?

When the first sign of the last fuel segment and the fuel level warning indicator are flashing, around 9.6 liters (2,54 gus) of fuel is used. So around 4,4 liters of fuel are left. So, the FZ-07 would be the bike with a long range when the low fuel indicator is flashing. Good for about 93 km (58 miles). 
Good thing to know when you're in an isolated region. I guess it's because i used to ride dualsport bike. :D

A gallon reserve is extreme.  You're right, good thing to know. I always had a bit 'Range Angst' with my WR.

I have to correct my estimate. Today, in my search for the long range :D, i discover that there are around 12,6 L (3.3 gus) that are available in the fuel tank of the 07. I reach the point where the bike was starting to bug when i was accelerating hard. I guess the shape of the fuel tank and the location of the fuel pump explain the 1,4 liter that isn't available. So the 200 miles target isn't for me. I got 289,2 km (180 miles). Of course, on highway with gentle right wrist, it could be possible. But it wouldn't be fun.  I estimated 93 km (58 miles) since the last segment of fuel was flashing. I got 69 km (43 miles) instead.

From now on, i'll fuel it up before reaching 50 km (31 miles) while riding on the reserve.

The tank on mine goes to last bar around 130 miles too. The reserve must be big but i havent pushed it. most ive filled is 2.6 gallons

Archived