The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 suspension

pantheraleo

So I'm torn between getting the FZ-07 and the FZ-09. I'm not worried about the power difference. I want to get the 7, but I'm concerned about the suspension. I'm 6'2 and weigh about 210. How will the stock suspension serve me for street riding? I tend to ride aggressively, but in a relatively safe manner. My favorite rides are mountain twisties.

I upgraded the front and rear suspension on my GS500 because it was soft, so I know what a difference in handling it makes. I'm struggling to drop 7k on a bike that I know I need to upgrade the exhaust ($600-800)AND the suspension (not sure of the cost yet) to ride the way I want it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

I am also 6'2, 210. Suspension seems fine for me, but I'm sure to the real "hardcore" guys, they would adjust it slightly (search the forum for that). The bike barely even squats when i sit on it. My favorite is also country twisties.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

I'm 6'2" 230lb. I put on a Penske shock sprung for my weight and it's much nicer to ride now IMO. The stock shock is made for the average person(160-180lbs) so the farther you get from that weight the worse it's going to handle. If you hit bumps and the back end just slams down hard then you need more spring.

I've spent quite a bit of time on both the 07 and 09 forums. General consensus is the 07 suspension is a bit more solid "out of the box" than the 09. The 09 suspension is much more adjustable, but still undersprung for heavier riders, or riders wanting to ride hard. Based on suspension alone, the 07 might squeak by with a win, but hard riding and/or being heavier will require some suspension mods. Neither bike is going to be a fully adjustable Street Triple R or supersport in stock form. I'm 5'11" 260lbs myself and have researched this topic to death since i'm not a 150lb rider.

That being said, there have been some successful rear shock swaps on the 09 (08-10 ZX10R I believe) that have made people happier with the 09.  @Marthy was the first one to do this, and many others have followed.  Seemed to make a solid difference.  

like @mjesenovec said, either way it looks like with your build and the fz's being your choices, you will be looking at upgrading exhaust and suspension on both bikes.

To the OP, if you know what a good suspension upgrade will do for a motorcycle because you upgraded one previously
and your considering buying either FZ,.....then you've answered your own question!

Okay, here is the question. I am not looking to upgrade the suspension, but what would be the default setting for a 230lb former gunslinger?

Archived