The MT-07 Forum

Teaching a loved one or friend to ride.

schalicke

• Premium Member

Have you influenced a loved one or friend to start riding? if so Post it here. 
My wife and I have decided to get her a bike and get her rolling. We have our eyes on a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r that we are planing on picking up for her on Wednesday/Thursday. She has ridden dirt bikes as a kid but that was 15 years ago. We are starting her out slow. Beginner riding class this spring. For now we will stick with her dads pasture and empty parking lots. Here is a pic of her first outing on my FZ-07. A couple stalls and 1 tip over. No damage, thats why we start on grass. 
bdYrIMV.jpg

My 15 year old daughter has expressed great interest in riding. She's been on scooters before but decided to teach her how to ride something with a clutch. Quick learner. She was only able to ride around in this empty parking lot but wants her motorcycle permit once she's 16 1/2.

d2785ec58f827f3b9379117c5a30c469.jpg

This is an awesome thread!

Keep the stories coming. My girl has absolutely zero interest in riding. She thinks my FZ 07 is pretty but that's about as much interest as shes given it.

• Premium Member

I'm working on getting my wife into a class for the spring.
Last summer she mentioned it would be nice to be able to ride, but she was too chicken. Somehow it ended up with me taking a class and getting my MC license at the end of summer ....and my FZ-07! Best thing that happened to me over the summer!

• Global Moderator

My wife has a competitive streak in her. So when I got my motorcycle drivers license 25 years ago, she thought she should be able to do that too. So she got lessons and managed to get her full M license. But she never rode a motorcycle since.

wife went and got her license soon after i got mines. she has no money so no bike yet (im not buying her one either) but i assume when she gets the dough she'll get one

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Hubs rode years ago while attending college. (Cheap transportation) He graduated and sold the bike never thinking about riding again. Then I get a crazy idea to get my M1 licence. I get it and he says he also needs to start riding again to "keep up with me". LOL! So he got back into it and now we ride together.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest sportyeight
wife went and got her license soon after i got mines. she has no money so no bike yet (im not buying her one either) but i assume when she gets the dough she'll get one
Dangz, sounds foreign to me! I work full time, but they might as well just put my wife's name on the check. LOL

Dangz, sounds foreign to me! I work full time, but they might as well just put my wife's name on the check. LOL
she work full time too. i pay all the bills (vehicles excluded) and she uses hers for whatever she wants... i wish someone would make me that deal...

Me and my dad both ride now. Back in about 2005(I was about 11) we were down at my Great Uncles and I spotted his old 1981 Yamaha XS650 Special II. Just sitting in the corner of the barn on it's centerstand. I asked if he rode it and he said not since he got back from Texas when he was in the service. I asked if it ran, and he said probably not. So he pulled it out and tried starting it. after about 5 minutes of choking, throttle and turning over, it fired up. But started pouring gas from the airbox. So he shut it off and asked if we want to take it home. My dad was not too thrilled about throwing it in the back of our truck and hauling it about 50 minutes back to our house. Although we got a wooden ramp that a car would go on to get its oil changed. so we had about a 1 foot gap between the ramp and the bed of the truck. So after about 15 minutes of lifting, huffing, and puffing we eventually got it in.

Well we got it home and tinkered with it a little, cleaned all the dust off, and put it in our shed for about 7 1/2 more years. Now as a 15 year old, I was bored and nothing to do. So what I was exploring Youtube and came across "Motovlogs" that sparked interest in motorcycles I remembered we had the old 650 in the corner of our shed. So I got all the crap out of the shed and there she was, sitting in the corner full of dust again. I was set on getting it to run. I spent about 200 bucks on MikesXS, petcock rebuild, master brake cylinder, etc. Cleaned the carbs, which were all gummed up got them pretty shiny. So I was kick starting it since the battery was kind of shot. Eventually it came to life, sounded like music too my ears. So I spent that summer watching how-to's on motorcycles to learn and ride. Once I thought I was educated enough I started riding around my house. I didn't have that much room so sometimes I would sneak out onto the road and ride around the block a few times ;). So eventually my dad seen I took a interest in motorcycle so we found out about the MSF course and we went and took the 3 day course and graduated without a problem. My dad instantly started loving to ride. So I got my license right when I turned 16, and my dad got his.

So then it was time to look for some new bikes. We looked around for about 6 months, starting from late spring to the middle of November when we finally decided on a pair of Yamahas! His new 2009 FZ1 and my 2015 Fz-07. And what happens from here on out is a mystery.

That's pretty much a quick summary of how I basically helped my dad into learning how to start riding. Hope you liked my little story!

• Premium Member

Haha, fun!

I've helped my GF get back into it. We both got our licenses almost 9 years ago when we were 19/20. Back then, I only had a 50cc Yamaha Zuma. So after I took my class, she borrowed all my gear to take hers. She hadn't ridden since...

I got my first bike 2 years ago and was so excited to get her back on it too. But after so long, it does a damper on your confidence. I would know, I felt the same way when I decided to get back on the bike. So she always made the excuse that since I only had one bike, she didn't want to in case she'd "wreck it." I didn't have any other mode of transportation, so I let it slide.

Once I purchased the FZ, she didn't have an excuse. She finally got over her fear and got back on. We worked in empty parking lots, then it progressed to taking side streets to school. Then two months later, she was on the highway. It's only been 5 months, but she's racked up 3K+ on the mileage and LOVES IT. Now she doesn't know why she was so fearful to begin with.

I've also encouraged a few others, giving them all the information they need - from bike choice to gear choice… probably giving them more info that they wanted. A BFF now has her M1 and rides a 150cc scooter around the streets of the Bay Area in NorCal. Her GF now plans to take the BRC class to get her M1 as well. I know a few more women that want to ride, but it's up to them on when!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I've had my M class since 2005 after I took the MSF course. Life happened, and I never ended up getting a bike. Hoping to finally buy my first bike in the next couple months (Hoping for an 07, but nothing set in stone yet).

Over the years, my younger brother has been hell-bent on riding with me one day. Now that we're older (26 and 28) he's focusing on buying a house, but the bike itch is still there. He still needs to take the msf, but he might get a learners permit and tool around a bit with me first. He's looking at picking up a used Ninja 300 to play with at some point.

My fiancee also has a bit of a bike bug. She's ridden on the back of bikes a ton, but does not want to ride on the back of a sport bike, even if it's a standard like the 07. Her idea of pillion riding is on a 900 pound Harley couch with a backrest. She said in 2014 she would much rather ride her own bike than ride on the back of mine, so she signed up for the MSF and took the class in October.

Well...that particular Saturday in October was 34* and raining. Her Honda Rebel wouldn't stay running, even with choke adjustments, she couldn't feel her hands, etc. It was just a miserable time for her to learn, so she ended up coming home without finishing the class. She said it was fun, so I hope she signs up and tries again this year. It would be a blast if we were able to ride together. I'm beyond excited to get a bike, but it would be twice as fun if we could do it together.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I didn't realize it at first, but my wife has a little bit of a bad a$$ streak in her. She loves to get on the bike and asks regularly to "give it some gas baby". But has recently kicked around the idea of getting a bike of her own.  Problem is, she wants a fully customized bike.  This is her dream bike:

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-sr400-deus

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I didn't realize it at first, but my wife has a little bit of a bad a$$ streak in her. She loves to get on the bike and asks regularly to "give it some gas baby". But has recently kicked around the idea of getting a bike of her own.  Problem is, she wants a fully customized bike.  This is her dream bike: 

I already like your wife and I think she should have that bike.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I already like your wife and I think she should have that bike.
Haha, I second that! 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

SHHHHhhhh....Not too loud.....she might hear you lol.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Archived