The MT-07 Forum

OES Spools and scratched swing ams

scobiwonkenobi

scobiwonkenobi

Does anyone have experience using a (paddock) stand in combination with the OES spool/sliders?

On a related note has anyone been able to get scratches out of the swing arm? 

...CycleGear paddle stand wore out on second lift and scratched the arm to hell. 

Left Side
Right Side

Thanks everyone!

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Does anyone have experience using a (paddock) stand in combination with the OES spool/sliders? 

...CycleGear paddle stand wore out on second lift and scratched the arm to hell. 

Left Side
Right Side

Thanks everyone!
I use turtle shell car wax, black , that comes with a black crayon. I smear the crayon on the scratched powder coat/paint and then wax the surface. I havent had any problems with my cycle gear stands, but I do find they have a 6 beer operational limit! ;-}.....   

RRokay Raggie

scobiwonkenobi

Thank you for the advice! I'll give that a go this weekend. Sigh* it's true. Anything after 4 I can't be doing anything important.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that one with the crayon would you?

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Thank you for the advice! I'll give that a go this weekend. Sigh* it's true. Anything after 4 I can't be doing anything important. 
[url=]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turtlewax-Color-Magic-Colour-Polish-and-Chipsick-masks-fine-scratches-Light-red-/191274512071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c88d96ec7[/url] 
Might be called something else in your part of the world .... but in the UK it is the above!

Mont

I havde those OES spools. The left side (chain side) is extended out nicely, but the right side one leaves the inner flange of the spool flush with the arm. i try to have the bike vertical when hoisting it so the hooks on my stand don't rub.

I also bought the frame sliders, but still can't decide if I want to use them.

Whatever stand you use, put some heavy tape (Gorilla tape is superb stuff) on the insides of the hooks so if they do touch they'll do little damage.

I also have a Cycle GEar stand that can flip between spools or under the swinger. I'm gonna that stand at some point as it's a flimsy POS. I have a Pitbull Hybrid (will lift from the stem as well as the fork leg bottoms) stand for the front. Sheesh, what a difference in quality/heft between it and the made in China stuff. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. The cost of a stand breaking and the bike taking a dump is far bigger than the up-front/one time investment in good tools

scobiwonkenobi

Good point! It just occurred to me: most of the time I would want the bike on a stand would be during chain adjustment, which require you to remove the oes spools. starting to think that might no be the *best* design ever.

After the scratching incident I actually did use gorilla tape to cover the damaged pads and it resulted in the stand slipping on the swing arm. Not tragic but inconvenient at the time. lol oh well.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

scobiwonkenobi
[url=]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turtlewax-Color-Magic-Colour-Polish-and-Chipsick-masks-fine-scratches-Light-red-/191274512071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c88d96ec7[/url] 
Might be called something else in your part of the world .... but in the UK it is the above!

Mont

thanks Mont! 

2015 FZ-07 # 468

scobiwonkenobi

Been a few members here who have installed those. They look pretty great!

the drilling however...don't trust myself to get through that part correctly or cleanly. :|

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Those are interesting. You do know that you have to drill holes into the bottom of the swing arm to install them? As the swinger is steel, this might not be so easy with a hand drill and the swinger still on the bike. 
These are pricey, but Gilles makes beautiful stuff. They replace the chain adjuster end and carry the button. http://www.motostarz.com/filter-by-bike/yamaha/fz-07-mt-07.html?dir=desc&limit=48&order=position&p=2

When adjusting the chain, loosen all the hardware with the bike on the ground. Then lift it carefully with the pads under the swinger. Get the chain adjusted, snug the hardware by hand and then do the final torque down with the wheel back on the ground. 

When the stock POS chain is toast, a good quality aftermarket chain like a DID will go a long, long way before you have to touch it

scobiwonkenobi
Those are interesting. You do know that you have to drill holes into the bottom of the swing arm to install them? As the swinger is steel, this might not be so easy with a hand drill and the swinger still on the bike. 
These are pricey, but Gilles makes beautiful stuff. They replace the chain adjuster end and carry the button. http://www.motostarz.com/filter-by-bike/yamaha/fz-07-mt-07.html?dir=desc&limit=48&order=position&p=2

When adjusting the chain, loosen all the hardware with the bike on the ground. Then lift it carefully with the pads under the swinger. Get the chain adjusted, snug the hardware by hand and then do the final torque down with the wheel back on the ground. 

When the stock POS chain is toast, a good quality aftermarket chain like a DID will go a long, long way before you have to touch it

Hell yeah Rick, thank you! I actually did not know that for the chain adjustment O_o

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Just talked to OES and they are gonna send some data over my way. Woo!
What kind of data are they sending? I've got the spool sliders as well and I'm looking for a paddock. Thanks Scobi!

Another little trick I use for measuring the slack - I find it a real pita to use a caliper of even a ruler. So I cut a 2-3" long piece of 1/4" hardboard (aka masonite sometimes) to the dimension that the slack is suppose to be - 2" is it for the FZ? I'll then sit it on the rollers of the bottom run of chain under the swinger where it's suppose to be measured from. When the chain is right, the board can just sit there as you turn the wheel cause the tension will hold it up against the bottom guide but the rollers will allow the chain to move past the gauge. If the chain has a tight spot, it'll bind up and if it's way too loose it'll be hard to keep the board in place.

I do this with my Aprilia. The combination of the fat, single sided swingarm and the lower chain guards makes it really hard to measure. That chain is suppose to have 1" of slack with the bike on the centerstand. My gauge for that one is 3" long x1" tall. Makes it a breeze to check. That DID chain now has 11k miles on it and has just a bit more weight and HP to deal with. I've not had to adjust it since I put it on.

BTW, it's always better to err on the loose side of adjustment.

And yeah, what's OES got up their spool, erm, I mean sleeve?

scobiwonkenobi

Noah from OES (very nice and helpful) has said the rear swingarm stand needs to open at least 14 inches to work with their FZ-07 rear spool sliders. He also sent along a photo from another customer who had the bike up on a Pit Bull rear stand with it working nice and cherry. Photos are in the album here.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

scobiwonkenobi
Another little trick I use for measuring the slack - I find it a real pita to use a caliper of even a ruler. So I cut a 2-3" long piece of 1/4" hardboard (aka masonite sometimes) to the dimension that the slack is suppose to be - 2" is it for the FZ? I'll then sit it on the rollers of the bottom run of chain under the swinger where it's suppose to be measured from. When the chain is right, the board can just sit there as you turn the wheel cause the tension will hold it up against the bottom guide but the rollers will allow the chain to move past the gauge. If the chain has a tight spot, it'll bind up and if it's way too loose it'll be hard to keep the board in place.  
I do this with my Aprilia. The combination of the fat, single sided swingarm and the lower chain guards makes it really hard to measure. That chain is suppose to have 1" of slack with the bike on the centerstand. My gauge for that one is 3" long x1" tall. Makes it a breeze to check. That DID chain now has 11k miles on it and has just a bit more weight and HP to deal with. I've not had to adjust it since I put it on.

BTW, it's always better to err on the loose side of adjustment.

And yeah, what's OES got up their spool, erm, I mean sleeve?
Woah. You have got to post a pic of that method of measuring chain slack, that sounds awesome. I will remark that about adjustment in my maintenance notebook. DID - great to have a recommendation! 
Anyone else want to see a photo of Ricks chain adjustment/measurement process?  (rofl)

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Sorry to hear that man. I try to warn everyone to avoid Cycle Gear stuff, and the brands speedmetal, Bilt and Sedici. Abosolute crap stuff that should be outlawed.

Left Side
Right Side

Thanks everyone!

scobiwonkenobi

Better late than never :( lol thank Cruizin! Yeah speedmetal brand stuff....not great.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

That PitBull stand is the SS version that can do either spools or be used under the swingarm directly. The CycleGear stand I have is similar http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Rear-Paddock-Stand?mr:trackingCode=A86ACEDE-CDDB-E311-8BFD-90E2BA028069&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=51808845257&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=18283950120&gclid=CKjrpLOvq8MCFcxj7Aod0mkAmw I'd guess the difference in weight between the 2 stands is about the same difference in dollars, lol.

The CG stand flexes a bit, but I've used it w/o issue with the OES spools on the FZ as well as in the other mode under the swingarm of my buddy's KTM Duke. And in conjunction with that Pitbull dual stand in front, I've had both wheels off the ground at the same time with either bike. Now, would I leave the bike indefinitely on that CG stand, erm no!

Oh, I have a pair of gauntlet Sedici gloves that I absolutely love. Lots of carbon fiber over knuckles and padding and extra leather on impact areas. Will they hold up in a massive crash, I'd hope to not find out. But they are comfy(pretty good ventilation as well) , provide good feel, and have now gone thru 2 seasons wit nary a stitch out of place.

I'm pretty sure my chain could use a check at this point - I've not done it yet as I still only have 700+ miles. It's just a bit frigid out in the garage and we're in line for some snow tomorrow, but I might fire up the sunflowers to warm it up enough to install my new R&G radiator guard that came this week. I'll cut a piece of hardboard and take a pict with it in position on the chain. Sorry, i'm too much a dinosaur for youtube vids.

scobiwonkenobi

Rick, absolutely take some photos when you adjust your chain! I also have some sedici gloves I really like. Now the trackside paddock stand from CG does not seem to fit the OES spool sliders for the fz07. If I'm doing something wrong though I'd be happy to be corrected. Would save me from buying a new rear stand!

2015 FZ-07 # 468

scobiwonkenobi

Awww Cruizin now I'm gonna be thinking about my poor hands when I suit up o_o. 
Good to know either way. 

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Hmm, yer doing something wrong. Yeah, it's not the rock of Gilbralter, but it should fit OK and hoist the bike with ease - there's really not much weight back there. It does need to be adjusted for width (19mm wrench iirc) and I do believe the longer/taller end of the U shaped saddle should be forward. 

If yer not comfortable holding the bike upright with one hand, you'll find that a scrap of 2x4 laid flat under the stand will bring the bike nearly vertical, but not cause it to fall over. I'll usually grab the strap on the seat or something with my left hand for support until it's hooked properly. 

have a look. Took this a while ago. A bit too cold out to be working in the garage right now for my old bones. 

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/stand_zps334a17ec.jpg

Well, it's just too dang cold out there to put it on the stand and really check it properly. But this should give you an idea of what i was trying to describe. The hard board gauge will likely not stay put on it's own the way it will on my Aprilia. but it's a whole bunch easier to get a hand in thee to hold i place.

That piece is 4" long and just shy of 2.25" wide (the book calls for 2-2.2" in the middle). With the wheel up and allowing you to turn it slowly while holding that piece of whatever in there, you'll be able to feel if the chain has loose areas or a tight spot. The spot where I checked is pretty good - maybe just a tad loose. But the chain is far too cold (and stiff) to make changes - and it will change as it gets warm.

Anyway, have a look. I have the bike nearly upright with the stand on a piece of 2 x 6" scrap.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1272_zps2a6b8af8-1.jpg

If a stand flexes, things will end badly. Sedici gloves do not hold up in a wreck, my friend's hands were down to the bone. Asphalt rubbed the leather away fast, and then his skin. But hey, he got a great deal on the gloves.
You'll be happy to know the rest of my gear is Arai, Aerostich with the full compliment of OE and optional pads (almost 20 years old now and even the zippers are still perfect) and Sidi Fusion Rain for the feets. I even wear a pair of padded Alpinestar undies (like vented bicycle shorts with pads for hips, tailbone and thighs). lol.  
I don't generally go cheap. In the scheme of  big dollar gloves, I guess $85 is. To my eye, these Sedici 16s seem to be built pretty well. I can't attest to whether or not they'll hold up in a crash. Yeah, you can find people people online repeating what you are saying, they're junk. But you can also find people claiming they Held (pun intended) up well in a get-off.  You grind along the pavement long enough and with enough force, even the best leathers will wear thru eventually - only chain maille will hold up. Will the $85 Sedicis protect as well as $300 Helds, probably not. But after showing no wear at all after 2 seasons, I don't see them exploding apart either. 

Oddly, in the few crashes I've had in 44 years, my helmets have come up with nothing more than a light scratch or 2. Been my experience that elbows, shoulders, hips and shins seem to be in harm's way of getting dinged. Only hand injuries came from the inside of a glove tearing my skin from friction with the leather on skin. Those, really cheap gloves stayed intact. Used to wear Thurlow deerskin gloves for a long time. 4 pairs over a couple decades, never touched the ground. 

Archived