The MT-07 Forum

Normal Engine temperature

mike6116

Well,  yesterday i was riding from office to my home its about a 5 mile tripp,  just getting home i did notice  engine temp was 220 on display,   have to mention it didnt was a fast ride  or neither pushing engine hard.

So i dont know wich will be a regular engine temperature when engine is not being pushed hard  and most of all  it didt pass more than 10 minutes since  started engine to the time it was 220°

Also have to tell   cooling reservoir its on a normal range (just in the middle of the viewer)
Mike

Guest August BB

Its about 70-something degrees in Mexico right now? I guess you need to wait for someone riding around that temp to chime in.

When I take rides in 40 degrees at 45 mph/70kmh, my temp is around 175 degrees. The warmest I rode, it was late sep so it must've been in the 60s and I don't remember what my temp reading was.

But there are a lot riders riding in the 70s, so hopefully someone can chime in.

• Premium Member

During the summer I recall the bike operating right around 185-195 @ 60-70 mph. Going up to around 220 something in traffic before the radiator fan kicks in.

Temps seem a little high, maybe. Log it for a few days and keep us posted.

Nothing is in the way of the radiator is it? Debris or anything of that nature

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

That is higher than I was seeing last summer. Have you checked the coolant level?

Just keep an eye on the temps, I wouldn't get to excited yet. Going slow and low rpms will make your temps go up. It seems under 25 mph or so you don't get very good air flow. I have also noticed a big jump in temps on the freeway when you get to close to a large suv/truck that is in front of you, small cars not so much.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

When the bike is first started from cold they tend to go to a higher temp
than normal until the thermostat opens for the first time then settle down
as the full cooling system gets up to a steady temp, but the bike does seem to
very it's temp more than other bikes I have owned and the fan seems to start
at quite a high temp, I was surprised at first but after 2500 miles with no
problems think it's just how they are, if the water level starts dropping
then I would worry mine as not lost a drop in 6 months.

Going up to around 220 something in traffic before the radiator fan kicks in. 

220 = 104/5 (I'm old fashioned) Seems a bit high before fan is kicking in! Mine kicks in at 100 if I am stuck in traffic!

Get it too a dealer, and get the fan cut in time adjusted, alternatively could be a duff sensor..... get it checked anyway, it won't cost anything it's in warranty!

Mont

During the summer I recall the bike operating right around 185-195 @ 60-70 mph. Going up to around 220 something in traffic before the radiator fan kicks in. 
Temps seem a little high, maybe. Log it for a few days and keep us posted.

Nothing is in the way of the radiator is it? Debris or anything of that nature
Radiator is clean, it has nothing in is way.

I will keep an eye on engine temps  and come back

Going up to around 220 something in traffic before the radiator fan kicks in. 

220 = 104/5 (I'm old fashioned) Seems a bit high before fan is kicking in! Mine kicks in at 100 if I am stuck in traffic!

Get it too a dealer, and get the fan cut in time adjusted, alternatively could be a duff sensor..... get it checked anyway, it won't cost anything it's in warranty!

Mont

I will log temps for a couple of days, and then take it to a dealer 
Mike

I did about 6 miles of dirt roads yesterday at about 10-20 mph with ambients at 48-50F, the fan kicked on and off during the slower sections and the readout was 220-221 but never got higher and once speeds bumped up to approx 20 or so the temps shot back down to the 170's.

I've had one other experience where I witnessed a rider go down who was unconscious, I parked the bike running with flashers on and rendered assistance for 15 min until medics arrived. Once I got back to the bike the fan was running and temp display was right on 220. It immediately dropped to 170's again upon moving again.
I'd say if it goes over 220 on the display there might be a problem.

ive had my temp go up to 225 before the fans kicked on. I think id like it to kick on around 210. from what ive read around the interwebs is that as long as the temps don't go up towards 140 you're good.

My bike is at 168-180 while moving, then when i'm at a red light and if its hot outside (Southern California here) it will get around 200-225 depending on how long the red light is

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

Jut checked mine it's 5C 41F out side and over a 35 mile ride it
ran at 80C 176F most of the time ticking over for a few min it
got to 104C 219F then the fan came on and dropped it to 98C 208F
there does not seem to be a rad temp switch so the fan must be
controlled by the ECU via a relay, by fitting a switch you could
control the fan manually but the system seems to work fine so cant
see the point.

Jut checked mine it's 5C 41F out side and over a 35 mile ride it ran at 80C 176F most of the time ticking over for a few min it
got to 104C 219F then the fan came on and dropped it to 98C 208F
there does not seem to be a rad temp switch so the fan must be
controlled by the ECU via a relay, by fitting a switch you could
control the fan manually but the system seems to work fine so cant
see the point.
Yep, may as well get used to it, the ECU controls pretty much everything these days - cars and bikes alike. .  
Mine runs right around 172-174F. In traffic the fans will come on at 220F. I would have thought this to be a bit high as well. But it cools off really quickly. My Aprilia will run the same temps as normal, but the fans (yes 2 of 'em as there are 2 separate radiators) come on at 200F. At 210F the thing is really hot (the alloy frame is too hot to touch) and it takes some time for that shoehorned V twin to cool back to normal. But that's still no where near where Aprilia says to shut it off - over 241F!! 

I think you'll find many modern cars have thermostats opening in the 190F range. It's done to keep temps up for better fuel economy.

I don't think anyone has described anything out of bounds here.

BTW, that Aprilia uses the injector relay (there are 6 freeking relays as is) to power the fans - switching the fans on is done within the ecu directing voltage to ground. 

The primary side of the spark coils is also usually switched on the ground side of the coil. 

I've seen mine personally hit about 225 when I was sitting on the curb warming my hands up since it was about 28 degrees out. It dropped back down to 167 after I took off going 55mph

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

I had mine get to 220F yesterday in traffic, but it cooled back down to 180F once I got moving. The only thing I found that was unusual was that when running through the display I found the( average MPG) was at 0 from a prior AVG MPG of 52. I have no idea why that happened! Anybody see this problem before?

As mentioned the ECU controls tem, IMO keeps it to high and turns the fans on to late. I am working on a fan over ride as I have on my R1, once I get this completed, I will offer the details here and kits for the I do not want to do it myself crowd :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Rode in mostly rural setting today, about 80 * F , and temps stayed anywhere from 170-177. At red lights, it bumped up to 205 fairly quick. Once I was back up to 45-55 mph speeds, it quickly dropped back to the 170 range. Thus far, everyone seems to be in the same ball park.

Archived