The MT-07 Forum

Vinyl wrap round 1

RED

I have been wanting to do this with digital camo for a while now, buy I wasn't sure how difficult it was with the odd angles of the tank and if you had to stretch it and if it distorted the picture at all? I want to do the three tank panels, but the middle one looks like it is impossible to do. How did you do it? I also want to do the two sides of the front fender as well. I guess I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the process? Do you have vinyl wrapping experience? Do you need experience to do this or as long as you know how to tuck edges and trim properly to fit different contours and holes of the panels? I appreciate it. Thanks!

Heat is your friend. But it can be dangerous. When you heat the vinyl without holding it, it shrinks. But the only way you can stretch it is to heat it, but not too much or you will rip it. Dont trim too much before you start to apply, I trim as I went for the most part. Bubbles are gonna happen, your just gonna have to figure out how you wanna deal with them, eather pull them out as you go or or pop and heat them after. I pulled most of mine out, if you walk up to the bike you can still see small ones. As far as distorting the pattern, that's why I went with a type of camo. Camo dont care if its stretched and pulled. I had no experience doing this before. Just learn as you go. And the last thing, you need to give it time.lots and lots of time if its you first attempt.

• Premium Member

I've wrapped several different cars in vinyl/carbon fiber wrap. it's hard. i'm not gonna lie. Heat is good though, but too much and it's ruined. The higher end vinyl's don't seem to distort much, unless you stretch it a lot.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

So I went ahead and gave it a try. Found some cheap vinyl on ebay got a heat gun and went for it. 343i79l.jpg
2hnxiec.jpg

How many feet of material did you use?

@RED How did you wrap the center tank piece? It does not look like it was easy to do with all of those holes for the screws and cavities for the mounting points. Thanks.

Archived