The MT-07 Forum

R6 Fork Swap

98koukile

Who's going to be the first to take the plunge? It seems that everyone and their mother wanted to swap the forks out on the FZ-09 forum only to find out the forks are 3 inches longer than the norm. I've been waiting to see the topic come up here but it's really been slow going.

From what I can gather cost wise it's really not going to be that expensive if you're patient on ebay, especially compared to the costs of making the stock forks work. I have it on good authority that the top bearing on the R6 forks is only thing you need to swap out to get them bolted on. Then you have to decide whether you want clip ons or handlebars, what rims will work with the forks and brakes, if the controls are compatible, and finally accessory mounting which will inevitably involve some drilling and tapping.

I'm waiting on my 600rr to sell before picking up my bike but I'm seriously contemplating having the front end in the garage ready to go on before I even ride it. The test ride left me loving the bike but hating the high bars and cheap suspension. I would love to see this thread turn into a gathering of information and fingers crossed the first installation on the forum.

You can't just post those pics without info, where'd you find that? Can't say I'm ready to put this much money into it, but I'm curious.

That guy used Ducati 1098 Ohlins that are a little shorter than the r6 forks but I'm sure a much superior unit. He's on another forum and fz09.org. The other information I found was on a site discussing the new Yamaha flat track bike, obviously being a race bike they just need to mount the forks and controls with none of the extras. I'm trying to get someone excited enough to try this!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I did r1 but used fz09 stem and upper Triple it allowed me to use factory bearings. Be aware that I found out after the fact that I had to weld my stem into the lower.

Archived