The MT-07 Forum

What Paddock Stand Do You Use?

MeanMug

HI all. 
total noob to paddock (race stands) always had center stands on my old bikes. Can anybody recommend one that is safe for a middle aged man to use with at least 3 beers in him? ok 4......

thanks (pics of your maintenance setup would be freakin awesome)

ok 6 tops.....

RRokay Raggie

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TwistedTorque
HI all.  total noob to paddock (race stands) always had center stands on my old bikes. Can anybody recommend one that is safe for a middle aged man to use with at least 3 beers in him? ok 4......

thanks (pics of your maintenance setup would be freakin awesome)

ok 6 tops.....
It goes without saying that Pitbull stands will always be the #1 stand company IMO. I've never owned one myself, but I've seen them in person, and have used them, friends own them and I've never heard a complaint. However, they also cost $$$$.

Sooooo that being said - I purchased these because they were half off and the time so I got both for around 70$. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35863/i/motostance-m-6-rear-stand?WT.ac=SLIsearch  & http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35861/i/motostance-m-1-front-stand

0 complaints for me. I've done basic chain maintenance and oil changes with them and been perfectly fine. The rear is both swingarm and spool supported. The widths are adjustable. The front is not a pin setup so you couldn't work on the front with that stand (aka you wouldn't be able to remove the front tire with it since it sits on the pins that hold the tire in). 

For me it works. 

TwistedTorque
I use Pitbull front and rear. Best there is, and the cheap ones are dangerous. Not saying the one above is cheap, it also looks good.
My friend bought a 20$ one from harbor freight. I wouldn't put my bike anywhere near that thing. It's basically plastic with screws on it. It shook when he bought his bike on it.

Great thanks a lot , Does anyone own the rear stand from Cycle Gear? trakside I think. They are on sale for 40 bucks

RRokay Raggie

6y3y7e2e.jpg
Here's she is on it paddles line up ok without springs it wiggled but was ok getting it on the stand alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRokay Raggie

It's just barely wide enough
a7e6ehe3.jpg

RRokay Raggie

• Global Moderator

Not a paddock stand but I have one of these lifts I use for my ATV, bike and snowmobile.
But with a FZ-07 it is a no-go. The exhaust is in the way. I will try and figure out how to adapt it, because they are handy when doing some maintenance.

jack.jpg

• Global Moderator

Had another look at my lift, but there is no way I will be using it on my 07. Not only do I run into problems with the exhaust, the bike is also too low.
So now I am looking for a good (if not the best) paddock stand.

From what I understand Pitbull is the best right? I prefer not to mount spools though. And there is also problem of availability here in Canada. My favourite shop does not have them in stock and I can't seem to find them anywhere else. If I order in the US, they usually don't ship it because it is too bulky or they send it with extreme shipping rates. I will probably get hit with brokerage fees too once it hits the border.

Guru, I have that lift 2! Works great on cruisers. So far the cycle gear stand works but when the pads wear thru I'll probably opt for a pit bull

RRokay Raggie

• Global Moderator

I'm hoping for a Pitbull in the future too. The lift I have now still works great on my ATV but it's a shame it doesn't go low enough.

I'm building a wooden ramp/stand to work on my bike and am just trying to figure out how to lift it up once I roll the bike up on it. I might just make it wide enough to use the pitbull on top of the level part of the ramp. It will put the bike up high enough so that I don't have to bend over to work on it.

• Global Moderator

Looks good. They do ship to Canada. I wonder what the price would be once it's in my shed..
Price $ 149.99 US, Plus shipping and handling, plus sales tax, plus HST, brokerage/customs fees maybe although they use U.S. Postal Service which sometimes flies under the radar.
I see they have a universal one because I don't think we can mount spools on our swing arms.

ok, chain had a bit more slack than it needed so I went to the closest dealership to get something, as opposed to waiting 4 weeks for a delivery from down south. Turned out that they had the Oxford Big Black Bike Stand, among other cheapies. So I got it. CDN 50, tax in.

Now, for the price and the online reputation I didn't expect much, but I am actually quite pleased:
- it's 3 piece (2 mounting points on the U handle), but the brackets that secure the handle in place seem quite sturdy
- 4 wheels
- it came with both rubber pads (and the rubber it's thick and well shaped) and forks for spools - bonus.
- width adjustment is tool free. Stand is wide, hence the name I guess
- seems like a reasonably solid piece for the money. No crazy adventures when lifting the bike, just does the job. No complaints, so far.

Zl1wSwl.jpgCa1oHcj.jpghpLtwVk.jpg

• Global Moderator
ok, chain had a bit more slack than it needed .....

So, how many km do you have on it now? Mine had quite a lot of chain slack when it went in for service at 1000km. I'm at 1900km and there is no increase in slack. It seems that the chain does most of its stretching during the first 1k.

• Global Moderator
This one looks pretty good but I think would require spools. Anyone try this one? 
http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

I found the same one at a Canadian store (here). I haven't seen the stand in person but the store is known for selling crappy Chinese junk. They are cheap, but just about everything I bought from them ended up being a disappointment.
Then there is the spool issue. And looking at my swing arm, installing spools might be a problem. Others might chip in because I have never dealt with spools.

ok, chain had a bit more slack than it needed .....
So, how many km do you have on it now? Mine had quite a lot of chain slack when it went in for service at 1000km. I'm at 1900km and there is no increase in slack. It seems that the chain does most of its stretching during the first 1k.
I have 250Km and noticed that the chain was sagging. Sure enough, I measured and it was out of spec. I am a newb, I don't want to push my luck so I went to fix it right away, especially since it's not that complicated. I will keep an eye on it though.I am assuming it happens when new as the chain breaks in. Once stretched, probably it stabilizes...just my thoughts. 

This one looks pretty good but I think would require spools. Anyone try this one? 
http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

Correct, that would require spools.

I found the same one at a Canadian store (here). I haven't seen the stand in person but the store is known for selling crappy Chinese junk. They are cheap, but just about everything I bought from them ended up being a disappointment. Then there is the spool issue. And looking at my swing arm, installing spools might be a problem. Others might chip in because I have never dealt with spools.

The way I see it, since there is no placeholder on the swing arm (threaded hole and such), the only kind of spool that could work for us is the one going through the rear axle, covering the wheel nut (R&G and Evotech have some like this, with a rod going through the axle). That I think makes it hard to undo the wheel nut and adjust your chain, as it also supports the bike weight. Am I looking at it wrong?
In Europe they have this.

I asked my dealer about it and they said it's not available here. Maybe that will change in the future, I hope, as it looks like a smart workaround.

Guess I will go with the Cycle Gear stands, I know Cruizin said they wear out, but I don;t anticipate using it a lot...famous last words, will probably get the Pitbull

Archived