The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 owners with aftermarket exhausts.. sound question

funcoland

Hey fellas. I have a question for those of you who have aftermarket exhausts. Right now I am trying to decide between getting the fz09 and the fz07. To me, it seems like the fz07 is the better package out of the box but what I'm kind of on the fence about is the exhaust sound.

From the videos I've seen/heard and because of the layout of the engine I can't help but keep thinking about Harley's and cruisers in general. For me, that sound is kind of a turn off. What is your opinion?

Did you specifically get the bike because you like the sound?

Were you in the same position as me but said oh what the hell the riding characteristics can allow me to overlook the sound of the exhaust?

For a twin, the FZ07 sound quite sexy IMO. I really loved it when I did the exhaust built. I am strongly thinking about getting one to replace the FZ6R later this year.

From the factory the exhaust isn't anything to get excited about. Once you throw an aftermarket pipe on it it sounds great.

From the factory the exhaust isn't anything to get excited about. Once you throw an aftermarket pipe on it it sounds great.
This statement has much truth to it. The way this engine is laid out though, with the 2 cylinders having a 270 degree crank it sounds more like a Ducati 90 degree v-twin than a Harley 70 degree IMO. I love the way Ducatis sound stock and I've actually had people mistake my FZ-07 for a Ducati because of the exhaust note. Now I will say though, I love the sound of a triple. If you are buying a bike solely based on sound you just have to go listen to them and pick. I wouldn't buy a bike that way though. You need to test ride them both and see which one suites you better. I love my FZ-07 and the stock exhaust does suck, but that can be remedied with an after market pipe and I think after that, it sounds AMAZING. I test rode both and the 09 just seemed like I would be more worried about trying not to wheelie because of the odd throttle characteristics than enjoying riding the bike itself. I went with the 07 nad have been loving it ever since. Exhaust shouldn't be a making or breaking factor of buying a bike. That is just my 2 cents though.  :)

• Premium Member

I personally like it. With Marthys slip on kit the bike sounds amazing. Deep and low with a mean growl.

A lot of bystanders agree.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Triple will always sound better than a twin but the way these are built, it sounds really good for a twin. Me personally, I wouldn't choose a bike based on exhaust sound. I would be choosing a bike that best fits me.

rubberbandman72

Just get an 07 already! You'll fall in love with the sound just after you fall in love with the ride. I had a Harley Sportster for 10 years and loved the sound. This one is similar but better. Somewhere between Harley and Ducati. More "tuned" and sporty sounding. Aftermarket exhaust makes it even better. Just ride an FZ-07 and it'll be a done deal.

To me, the sound of the FZ-07 is a turn on, not a turn off.
Also, I feel the FZ-09 sounds too much like just another multi-cylindered bike.

I rode both bikes.
With the FZ-07, I said, "Damn!, this is fun."
With the FZ-09, not so much.
I then bought the FZ-07.
The fact that I think it sounds better is just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.

• Global Moderator

Personally I like the stock sound of the -07. It is not too loud but has a nice sound. The triples sounds a bit high pitched for my liking. They still sound good, just not as good.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did hear  the FZ-09 with an Akra exhaust before. I thought it really sounded awesome.. like a liter super sport bike. Other than the sound though I just kind of feel I would be only using 30% of the bike whereas on the 07 I'd be able to push it to 70%.. because of skill and trying to obey the law :)

I also like the fact that there's a throttle by cable and not by wire. 

Some may disagree, but with only an M4 slipon the 07 sounds like a small block V8. Wearing a helmet, earplugs, and the sound of the rushing relative wind, it sounds something like the video below. Don't watch the video, just listen to it and imagine you're riding the 07...

Installed a R77 Yosh exhaust everytime I got out I get conpliments. The exhaust is a beast, very happy with it

Archived