The MT-07 Forum

New Rider in SoCal

she3pdog

Just got my new FZ-07 last week, and it's a blast around town. It's my first bike and I'm glad I chose it over some of the others that I was looking at. I only have a learner's permit right now, so no highway mileage yet, but I'll be taking the BRC to get my license here pretty soon.

motorcycle_zps7ee0571e.jpg

• Premium Member

Welcome! Is that your car and bike matching?

There's a good amount of us here in SoCal, so depending on what part you're from, maybe we'll see you around!!

Let us know how the BRC goes. MSF is no longer the mandated California course for motorcycle riding.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

San Diego area. Does the BRC no longer qualify as the skills test?

And, yes, that's my car, but it's actually orange.

• Premium Member

Heck yes! Another in the SD area. I'm new too--the bike's a blast isn't it? Definitely something novice riders can grow into.

• Premium Member
San Diego area. Does the BRC no longer qualify as the skills test? 
And, yes, that's my car, but it's actually orange.
Sorry, let me clarify. BRC stands for basic riding course.  
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is no longer the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP). 
It has been awarded to Total Control Training (TCT).

You can read about it here.

Thought this little bit of info would help you find your class. I do hope to hear your experience since I've heard their way of teaching differs from that of MSF.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Ah, thanks for that. I see that MSF's website no longer states that their BRC will cover the skills portion of the licensing process for CA.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome she3pdog! Excellent choice on the color, red is the fastest! Vote here!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is no longer the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP).  It has been awarded to Total Control Training (TCT).

You can read about it here.

Thought this little bit of info would help you find your class. I do hope to hear your experience since I've heard their way of teaching differs from that of MSF.

Thank God they have added to the classes.  When I took the MSF several years ago, the instructors were passing people that had no business getting on a bike in a parking lot, much less on public roads.  I just kept thinking "If these people are passed and get their license, they'll be dead within a month or less out there".  The scary thing was ALL of them "passed" the course.  The system definitely needed a facelift with a little more strict guidelines.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Global Moderator

I took the MSF corse in Washington state last summer and was impressed. There were a couple of people who failed and the instructors were awesome (I would have been scared to meet a couple of them on a dark street but they were excellent.). I guess every state is different but it was a very good course here.

I have the course scheduled for next weekend. I'm really not worried about it. I've been practicing slow speed maneuvers in the parking lot for a while now doing exercises from the MSF course. I really don't imagine that the TCT course will be much different with them both being an intro-to-riding type thing. I could just do the regular riding test at the DMV, but I'd like to actually learn something if I can. I've gone to the DMV on the weekends and done the exercises around the little lollipop thing, and it's really not that hard.

I'll definitely let you guys know how the course goes. I won't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm sure it won't be the last course I take.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I have the course scheduled for next weekend. I'm really not worried about it. I've been practicing slow speed maneuvers in the parking lot for a while now doing exercises from the MSF course. I really don't imagine that the TCT course will be much different with them both being an intro-to-riding type thing. I could just do the regular riding test at the DMV, but I'd like to actually learn something if I can. I've gone to the DMV on the weekends and done the exercises around the little lollipop thing, and it's really not that hard. 
I'll definitely let you guys know how the course goes. I won't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm sure it won't be the last course I take.
I like the fact that you're taking the course specifically to learn something new and not just to pass some mundane test.  Good on you.  8-)

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• 1 month later...

Archived