The MT-07 Forum

Fuel controllers VS ECU Tuning

Cruizin

Bikes nowdays come running lean from the factory to get thru emissions testing. Fact.

Another fact. When you add a free flowing exhaust and or air cleaner, the bikes actually are way too lean. Usually, you are left with two options.

1. Get your ECU re-flashed.

2. Get a Fuel controller.

ECU tuning involves sending your bikes little computer "ECU" off to a shop who in turn removes or adjusts the factory program to change parameters in the electronic engine controls to change the running performance of your motorcycle. The benefit is that they can somewhat change the Air/Fuel ratio to make sure that the bike isn't too lean. They can also adjust throttle response and this was of great benefit for owners of the FZ-09 and the so called abrupt throttle on that bike.

Problem is, the ECU changes almost always result in your warranty being voided. Some people don't care about that. some do. Another problem is that if anyone ever tries to load a new tune on that bike, they don't know that the ECU has already been flashed and when they go to flash it, it causes serious issues. As in, the bike wont run. ECU can become damaged this way. Imagine if a dealer takes your bike in on service, hooks up to the ECU to load a new update. Problem!

Fuel Controllers hook up to the fuel injectors, intercept the signals coming from the ECU and changes the amount of fuel being sprayed into the engine. They do not mess with the ECU at all and do not usually void a warranty because they do not change the ECU's program at all. They can correct an over LEAN or Rich condition automatically and they can also easily be adjusted while on the bike.

they install very easily, very fast. They can also mount under the seat. You don't have to send anything into anyone and be without your bike at all.

I prefer fuel controllers over ECU tunes. They really smooth out your ride, can overcome issues after you install a new exhaust or air cleaner and can also add Horsepower. In some cases they also can add MPG when you are in cruising mode.

Guest montana07

Cool, I actually live 10 minutes away from them. I'd be interested depending on how long they need the bike, and so long as it definitely doesn't void the warranty

Guest montana07

Probably, will but damn it's going to be hard to be without my bike. I left them a message, I'll keep you guys updated.

Guest montana07

Newb Question: From what it looks like, it seems a Fuel Controller would benefit a bike with after market exhaust more. Think I'd see much difference with a stock bike?

Yes. All new bikes run very lean from the factory to get thru the tough US emissions testing. You are being robbed of power. You will get free power, smoother runnings and it will eliminate the stalling issues that some people are having at idle. Your bike will run the way that it is supposed to, not the way uncle sam effected.

Really, the first thing to do is a dyno pull with the o2 sensor plugged in, you'd actually be surprised at how rich some bikes are, I think optimum is 13.1 air/fuel, I have a really good friend here in Chattanooga that tunes bikes on his own dyno, he's darn good too, after I get a couple hundred miles on mine or a couple more heat cycles I'm gonna let him do a pull, don't worry, it'll have fresh oil in it. Every bike is different so a custom tune is the only way to go, imo. My prediction is 66hp at 43 ft lbs, hope for more though...

missourifz07

I added a msd fuel controller when I put dual exhausts on my raptor 700 and it made a bad ass 4 wheeler into a whole new beast!! Has 10 settings to choose from. You just have to have the proper maps and you're golden.

Are the Canadian emissions regulations as strict as the US ones? I'm guessing from guru's reports on his issues with stalling the answer is yes, so I'm assuming everything in the first post would apply to my bike as well...?

A quick google search turned up lots of fuel controller options...Are they all the same or can anyone recommend/advise against a particular unit?

You know, something else we need to consider is the sound restrictions, lots of bikes now have a valve in the collector that opens and closes depending on throttle opening, so we have to be clean AND quiet. I'm curious to see what these "auto tuners" can do, I've had some experience with them but til you get one on the dyno w/before and after results you just can't tell what if any improvements were made. I spoke to my buddy here with a dyno and he wants to do a base run on my bike then I'll do exhaust/Power Commander w/custom tune to see exactly what the results are. I gotta be honest though, at my elevation (600ft) up to 2200 ft (on nearby mtn) my bike runs really good.

Another thing you can do if you aren't close to a Dyno is rent by mail one of EJK's devices that measures and displays the engine's Rich/lean condition at all RPM's. It shows you exactly how rich or lean it is all through the RPM range. Pretty cool and a great way to see where you need to make adjustments.

• 1 year later...
Bikes nowdays come running lean from the factory to get thru emissions testing. Fact. 
Another fact. When you add a free flowing exhaust and or air cleaner, the bikes actually are way too lean. Usually, you are left with two options.

1. Get your ECU re-flashed.

2. Get a Fuel controller.

ECU tuning involves sending your bikes little computer "ECU" off to a shop who in turn removes or adjusts the factory program to change parameters in the electronic engine controls to change the running performance of your motorcycle. The benefit is that they can somewhat change the Air/Fuel ratio to make sure that the bike isn't too lean. They can also adjust throttle response and this was of great benefit for owners of the FZ-09 and the so called abrupt throttle on that bike.

Problem is, the ECU changes almost always result in your warranty being voided. Some people don't care about that. some do. Another problem is that if anyone ever tries to load a new tune on that bike, they don't know that the ECU has already been flashed and when they go to flash it, it causes serious issues. As in, the bike wont run. ECU can become damaged this way. Imagine if a dealer takes your bike in on service, hooks up to the ECU to load a new update. Problem!

Fuel Controllers hook up to the fuel injectors, intercept the signals coming from the ECU and changes the amount of fuel being sprayed into the engine. They do not mess with the ECU at all and do not usually void a warranty because they do not change the ECU's program at all. They can correct an over LEAN or Rich condition automatically and they can also easily be adjusted while on the bike.

they install very easily, very fast. They can also mount under the seat. You don't have to send anything into anyone and be without your bike at all.

I prefer fuel controllers over ECU tunes. They really smooth out your ride, can overcome issues after you install a new exhaust or air cleaner and can also add Horsepower. In some cases they also can add MPG when you are in cruising mode.

Hello - I'm going to go with Dobeck EJK for my FZ07 with full Yoshimura exhaust based on recommendations here and YouTube - Russian Rider.

Spoke with Dillon today via email, and was offered an additional discount for forum members.

You know, something else we need to consider is the sound restrictions, lots of bikes now have a valve in the collector that opens and closes depending on throttle opening, so we have to be clean AND quiet. I'm curious to see what these "auto tuners" can do, I've had some experience with them but til you get one on the dyno w/before and after results you just can't tell what if any improvements were made. I spoke to my buddy here with a dyno and he wants to do a base run on my bike then I'll do exhaust/Power Commander w/custom tune to see exactly what the results are. I gotta be honest though, at my elevation (600ft) up to 2200 ft (on nearby mtn) my bike runs really good.
I used to worry about the sound of an aftermarket pipe before I bought one (Akrapovic carbon) and had a lot of people tell me not to worry about it, that they never see or hear of people getting pulled over for their pipes. I thought about it and realized there are mostly Harley riders around here with louder pipes than anything for an FZ 07 so I jumped for the above mentioned pipe and no cops mess with me. If you get squirrely and they see you they may say something about the sound then. 

Beemer

Archived