The MT-07 Forum

Bike Of The Year... FZ-07 ??

yamabob

Last week I rode the FZ07 long enough to get chilled to the bone and then used the chain saw to take down 3 dead trees. That was a good day. Roads are salted now. Well we almost got the B.O.T.Y.! Here it is:
Motorcycle of the Year Yamaha FZ-07
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/best-motorcycle-year.html

Honorable Mention: Yamaha FZ-07
Balance defines this motorcycle – balance enough to cooperatively coax a newbie into motorcycling while also being able to satisfy even skilled riders. There are some other bikes that have similar commendable balance, but there are none that do it at a price as ridiculously low as the FZ’s $6,990 MSRP.

A frame and swingarm built from steel rather than costlier and lighter aluminum reveal the FZ’s price-point mission, but the bike doesn’t really suffer for it. Its 397-lb curb weight is 45 or more pounds lighter than its class rivals, and its chassis performance is remarkably athletic whether dodging urban traffic or unwinding your favorite twisty road.

Of all multi-cylinder engine configurations, parallel-Twins are likely the least revered by gearheads, but the stellar one in the FZ-07 might convert the naysayers. It uses a 270-degree crankshaft (rather than a typical 360-degree format) to give the inline-Twin a cadence similar to a 90-degree V-Twin, yielding a pleasingly rich sound and feel.

It’s not easy to make a cheap motorcycle look expensive, but Yamaha has done an admirable job of giving the FZ style far above what its price might indicate. The just-right stance and attractive finish detailing give the impression the FZ costs thousands more than it actually does. And let’s not underestimate the importance of street cred. Many junior-level riders are tempted by the obvious coolness of supersport bikes, but those riders would be much better served by a sporty roadster like the FZ-07. It’s extremely easy to manage at any speed, and its neutral riding position comfortably fits riders of almost any size.

Perhaps the best compliment we can give the FZ-07 is that we believe it’s a better value and a more complete package than Yamaha’s exhilarating three-cylinder FZ-09, itself a worthy contender for awards this year if not for its glitchy throttle-response issues.

Taken as a whole, the FZ-07 proves to be much more than just the sum of its parts. Its handsome appearance and sublime balance lets it punch way above its MSRP weight. In terms of smiles per dollar, Yamaha’s FZ-07 is unbeatable.

The Super Duke looks nice, but not $10,000 MORE nice.
Personally, I've owned four liter bikes and I feel I've had enough of them, at least for now.
If I were given that KTM for free, I'd probably just sell it without even riding it. :)

• Premium Member

I think what the FZ-07 is for the price make it a winner all around. In the future do I see myself getting another bike, most certainly I do. I could have afforded a more expensive bike but why would I spend thousands more something that is better in areas that I will never likely explore.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The Super Duke looks nice, but not $10,000 MORE nice. Personally, I've owned four liter bikes and I feel I've had enough of them, at least for now.
If I were given that KTM for free, I'd probably just sell it without even riding it. :)
I'm keeping my FZ-07 and all my liter+ bikes are for sale.  Make a civil offer. :)) 

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Archived