The MT-07 Forum

Decided on FZ-07, but what if I find a cheaper, bigger bike?

mjesenovec

Long story short, I've had my bike license for 10 years, life happened, never got a bike, and now i'm hellbent on buying a bike within the next month or 2 so i don't waste yet another riding season.  Fell in love with the FZ-07 and have been set on it for quite a while, but then got to thinking whether dropping 7k on a new bike is the best idea. 

My overall goal/dream is to own a sporty naked bike with ABS and other features. The two bikes I keep staring at in dream-land are a Street Triple R and an Ducati 821. I would like to own one of these eventually, but know that dropping that kind of cash as a fairly new rider would be dumb. One of those bikes will have to wait until i get more miles under my belt. While I love the Fz-07 and know I would keep it for quite a while, I don't know if i would actually get $2k-$4k more use or value out of an Fz-07 than i would an SV, an FZ8, etc. I just don't know if i should spend 7k+ on a fz-07 that i might only keep for 2-3 years, or if i would be better off only spending 3-5k on a used bike and keep it for 2-3 years. If there were 07's on the used market for 5-6k it would be a no-brainer. I guess I would just feel bad paying off a brand new bike and then wanting to "upgrade" to a street triple or something in a few years. I guess i'm just trying to figure out what my best "2-3 year plan" is. As long as I get something to ride for this coming season, it will sure as heck be better than no-bike at all.

Also, I typically prefer twins over 4 cyl bikes, and prefer naked over faired...but given the choice between riding a used FZ6R or no bike at all...i'd ride that faired 4 cyl every time.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Whichever bike you get, it's pretty much guaranteed it won't be your last. People buy and sell bikes over and over searching for that "perfect bike". It may or may not exist for some people. They may never find it and stay with the best compromise for them. Others get a bike that hits the sweet spot and that's the end of that. I think a lot of motorcyclists have multiple bikes for different purposes. I do. Don't sweat your decision too much. I don't know how much riding experience you have but when I was brand new I got a used Honda rebel to get my skills up knowing I would sell it later for something else.

If you are afraid of missing out on yet another riding season, buy a used bike that you like right now while keeping your eyes open for a used FZ07. Life is short, enjoy it. As long as your knees are in the breeze, who cares what bike it is!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ok if that's the case and you don't feel you want to jump for the FZ-07 then a cheap SV
is a very good bike, I did 20,000 miles on mine, the Street Triple R is the one I would
go for between it and a Ducati the Duke can be very costly to maintain if you do a big
mileage, lovely to ride but expensive to service though the newer ones are getting better,
you see a lot coming up for sale just before the first big service is due.

Whichever bike you get, it's pretty much guaranteed it won't be your last. People buy and sell bikes over and over searching for that "perfect bike". It may or may not exist for some people. They may never find it and stay with the best compromise for them. Others get a bike that hits the sweet spot and that's the end of that. I think a lot of motorcyclists have multiple bikes for different purposes. I do. Don't sweat your decision too much. I don't know how much riding experience you have but when I was brand new I got a used Honda rebel to get my skills up knowing I would sell it later for something else.  
If you are afraid of missing out on yet another riding season, buy a used bike that you like right now while keeping your eyes open for a used FZ07. Life is short, enjoy it. As long as your knees are in the breeze, who cares what bike it is!
Yeah, I know whichever bike I end up with I won't have forever.  I'm now on my 6th brand new car since 2006, so I know how this all works.  I just need a bike that does a bit of everything while being fun and comfortable.  I'm already planning on doing exhaust, levers, tail tidy, etc. to whatever bike I get, but it would just be overall more affordable to do on a 5k used bike, than to finance a new fz-07 then start modding it.  I mean 2-3 grand doesn't make or break the deal over the course of a few years, i'm just thinking about while i might absolutely love the 07, i wouldn't be getting thousands of dollars worth of extra enjoyment out of it.  That's honestly my main concern at this point, is just getting my "knees in the breeze."  I don't want a $300 junker, but i think a 3-5k used bike would make more sense since I could pay it off quicker, and mod it the way I want without even getting close to the FZ-07's MSRP.   

Ok if that's the case and you don't feel you want to jump for the FZ-07 then a cheap SV is a very good bike, I did 20,000 miles on mine, the Street Triple R is the one I would
go for between it and a Ducati the Duke can be very costly to maintain if you do a big
mileage, lovely to ride but expensive to service though the newer ones are getting better,
you see a lot coming up for sale just before the first big service is due.
Yeah, love the twin sound, so the SV would be a good choice.  i dunno...I'm just looking at used inventory in my area, and even low-mileage FZ6R's are in the 4-5k range.  I'm kinda leaning towards getting whatever is the best overall value this year, enjoy the hell out of it and do some tasteful mods, then get my Street Triple R a few years down the line.  I'm much more concerned with comfort and an upright seating position than I am about fairings and motor configuration.  My overall favorite would probably be naked twins, but that doesn't mean i dislike faired 4's.  The good thing is, i'm going to the chicago motorcycle show in february. I plan on sitting on every bike I can just to get an idea what will and won't work.  Hell, I might sit on a street triple and not even like it, never know.  I'll just focus on used inventory in my area and see what I end up with.  I kinda get the feeling i'll end up with either an SV or an FZ6R, but then again something like that FZ8 for 5900 is mighty appealing too.   

I hate to say this as i am usually a very technically oriented and logical gent but nothing on the used market stirred my loins like the FZ did.

I fell in love with the FZ when i first saw it eight months ago and i KNEW that i wanted it from the day that i saw it. It was lust at first sight and sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and go with what really excites you.

If the FZ doesnt cause tingling in all of the right places then no manner of logical thought, justification, irrational thought or thought period is going to justify the purchase of the bike. You can go two ways here.

Go the Lust route like i did and be utterly satisfied but know, based upon your personality that you're eventually going to want something different

Or, go the rational, logical way and budget yourself accordingly and buy within that budget.

I have literally used this "lust" justification TWICE and ONLY twice in my entire 31 years. I bought an RX8 based purely upon lust, for no real reason at all other than the fact that i just "wanted" it and i bought this bike for the same reasons.

To this day, five years later, i miss that Rx8 but i appreciate the time that i had on it. I am pretty sure that when i get my pants in a twist and start lusting after another bike i will have the same fond memories of this FZ 07. There is only ONE first, there will be MANY more. Keep that in mind.

As i said, im not one to apply an emotional angle to many arguments but sometimes, you just have to give in.

I hate to say this as i am usually a very technically oriented and logical gent but nothing on the used market stirred my loins like the FZ did. 
I fell in love with the FZ when i first saw it eight months ago and i KNEW that i wanted it from the day that i saw it. It was lust at first sight and sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and go with what really excites you.

If the FZ doesnt cause tingling in all of the right places then no manner of logical thought, justification, irrational thought or thought period is going to justify the purchase of the bike. You can go two ways here.

Go the Lust route like i did and be utterly satisfied but know, based upon your personality that you're eventually going to want something different

Or, go the rational, logical way and budget yourself accordingly and buy within that budget.

I have literally used this "lust" justification TWICE and ONLY twice in my entire 31 years. I bought an RX8 based purely upon lust, for no real reason at all other than the fact that i just "wanted" it and i bought this bike for the same reasons.

To this day, five years later, i miss that Rx8 but i appreciate the time that i had on it. I am pretty sure that when i get my pants in a twist and start lusting after another bike i will have the same fond memories of this FZ 07. There is only ONE first, there will be MANY more. Keep that in mind.

As i said, im not one to apply an emotional angle to many arguments but sometimes, you just have to give in.
And that is definitely going to be the tough spot I will find myself in in the coming weeks/months.  I've sat on 4 or 5 FZ-07's.  I know it feels right, i know I love it, and I know I want one.  Can I afford one?  Yes.  It's just a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to shoot for a FZ6R or something for a couple grand less, spend a few hundred on mods, and I'll still have a fun bike to use for casual riding without owing an extra 2-3 thousand dollars.  It's tempting.  But, even if I do end up going the cheaper route, it doesn't mean I don't want an 07.  Even if I do get an FZ6R, or an FZ8, or something else random I can find a good deal on, the 07 bug will still be there.  That's the tough spot that I'm in.  I just wish I could find a lightly used 07, save a few bucks, and I wouldn't even think twice.  It's not that I can't buy a new one, it's just the responsible adult in my head is also telling me i could have a different bike with mods, for less than what the 07 would cost.  

• Premium Member

mjesenovec - I was in the exact same boat you are in many ways. I weigh 250 with gear (and *should* weigh much less). I also struggled to decide between the 09 & 07. I really wanted a used bike because I am nerdy about my finances and shuddered at the thought of buying new. Once I had decided on the 07 no dealer in my state had any in stock. While I was waiting I was doing much like you are and over-analyzing the crap out of everything, I was saying the same things - I could just get this or that and it will be fine, but what should I do?!
In the end while I was avidly searching every dealer and cycle publication for anything on two wheels while reading every review of every bike for the 3rd and fourth times, I found a used red FZ07 on craigslist. It had 600 miles on it and he wanted $6800, after taxes at the tag office the price wasn't the best I have seen people talk about getting, but it was good enough. I'm not much of a sport rider as far as the twisty roads but I do love acceleration and this dang bike is been a load of fun. I have had NO complaints about the suspension for my riding style at all. I put the Yoshi exhaust on it and when I crack the throttle on the road the torque and sound are exhilarating. After a few months I have concluded that it is a better bike for me than either the 09 or the 08 (both of which I test drove) and well worth anything extra I would have paid over a "better deal" on a similar model. The torque, it is addicting!
As I began to type this response I thought I would be encouraging you with more information but as I have thought about I may not be helping at all by giving you more to think about.. If not helpful then just try and take solace in the fact that I have personal empathy for your struggle with this decision! :-)

Thanks so much! Getting an FZ-07 isn't completely out of the question, it's not like i've given up on the idea entirely, I just keep going back and forth about what I CAN buy and what I SHOULD buy. A used bike makes more sense overall since it will be my first bike, and getting a good deal is always a good thing. I'm 99% confident that I would love an FZ-07 and have no regrets. I've just been looking at everything from FZ-09's, FZ8, BMW F800ST, FZ6R and anything else that isn't overly tiny. I understand I won't keep my first bike forever, but i still want it to be something I can enjoy for multiple seasons. I've never been interested in getting a 250 or 500 beater bike and upgrading after a few months. I have a feeling once the time comes for me to actually get a bike, i'll end up sticking with my gut and getting an 07, but there's still a chance i'll decide to save some money and do a used FZ6R. Having any bike is clearly better than no bike, I just have to decide if the 07 is going to be worth the extra expense. Then again, I could end up buying an 07 and end up keeping it a lot longer than planned. There's just so much unknown at this point. Power has never been an issue with the 07, it will be all i'll ever need, but it's good to know the torque is a lot of fun. I would love to one day get a Street Triple or something, but if the 07 is everything I could ever want in a bike, there's no reason to upgrade or worry about trading it in anytime soon. If I get a new 07, i will be much more willing to keep it for longer, whereas I wouldn't feel bad trading in the FZ6R after 2-3 seasons. I see myself enjoying the 07 more long-term...so maybe that should be a hint as to what I should buy. Hmm...

You're bordering on intellectual masturbation at this point bud. :)

You're lusting over the FZ 07 hard. The solution is to settle on that bike, own it and wait to find a used one on the second hand market. Its a new bike but within six months you should start to see some more up for sale.

You've waited this long, why not wait a little longer if the "deal" is that big of a concern for you?

In all honesty. If you can get the 09 for the same price as the 07 I'd say go for that. I'm 5'11 160 lbs so the 07 is perfect for me.my buddy had an 09 for a while and I rode it a few times and liked it. But for my 160 lb body i just didn't need all that power. It's not that it was too much it was just that I wouldn't realistically use it all. now if I was anywhere near 200 lbs I probably would have gone with an 09. My buddy was 220 lbs and he loved the 09. Honestly with a guy your size my opinion is go with the 09 if you cam get it in your price range. And like you said, just don't go crazy with it and respect the power and you'll be fine. Remember that these bikes have tons of torque. Oh and I live south of Chicago lol. The 07 would probably be a great bike for you, but I believe the better decision for you would be an 09.

You're bordering on intellectual masturbation at this point bud. :) 
You're lusting over the FZ 07 hard. The solution is to settle on that bike, own it and wait to find a used one on the second hand market. Its a new bike but within six months you should start to see some more up for sale.

You've waited this long, why not wait a little longer if the "deal" is that big of a concern for you?
Yeah.  I've definitely settled on the FZ-07.  I did that long ago.  Just trying to sort out lust vs logic.  Honestly, I lust for the 07/09 pretty equally, I was just worried that the 09 would be "too much bike" for me.  I'll just slow my roll, get to the the point in Feb/Mar when i'm actually ready to buy, then see what I can find.  I'll call some dealers in my area and find out what kind of numbers I'm working with.  

In all honesty. If you can get the 09 for the same price as the 07 I'd say go for that. I'm 5'11 160 lbs so the 07 is perfect for me.my buddy had an 09 for a while and I rode it a few times and liked it. But for my 160 lb body i just didn't need all that power. It's not that it was too much it was just that I wouldn't realistically use it all. now if I was anywhere near 200 lbs I probably would have gone with an 09. My buddy was 220 lbs and he loved the 09. Honestly with a guy your size my opinion is go with the 09 if you cam get it in your price range. And like you said, just don't go crazy with it and respect the power and you'll be fine. Remember that these bikes have tons of torque. Oh and I live south of Chicago lol. The 07 would probably be a great bike for you, but I believe the better decision for you would be an 09.
Yeah, the more i read and hear from people, the more I'm confident that an 09 wouldn't be a terrible idea.  It is more power than I would need, but with my weight, B Mode, and my steady throttle control i'm sure i would get used to it.  Plus, an 09 would be pretty "future proof" since a street triple wouldn't be as big of an upgrade over an 07.  I guess years of reading "Start on a 250 or you'll DIE" sunk in, so I wrote off the 09 as being too much.  Is it too much?  Probably.  Is it doable?  I'm sure i'd be fine.   
It looks like it might be a bit easier to find a used 09 in the near future as well.  A dealership 10 miles away from me has a used 2014 09 for $6895 with 400 miles on it.  I'm not a fan of red, but it's not worth another grand for a new one just to pick a different color.  If a deal on an 09 like this is available in the next couple months, I think it'd be worth getting more bike for the money.  I'd honestly be happy to own either at this point.  While I love the 07 with a passion, its big brother wouldn't be a bad 2nd choice I'd imagine.  I have sat on both back to back, and remember thinking the 09 felt a tad bigger and more comfortable for me, so i'll just wait and see. 

scobiwonkenobi

It sounds like the 09 is the one for you - and if 'too much' is a concern...I wouldn't sweat it. Growing up I read a lot about motorcycles and the consensus was too small and too large displacement are equally dangerous but you the rider are ultimately the one who is twisting the throttle. The 09 has a better suspension and does seem to cradle larger riders just fine...though it's very very close to the same size. If you haven't sat on it yet do so. That's how you'll know. Sit on it, start it - if you get the butterfly's and a shit eating grin then the decision is likely a very good one. I love the street triple...but wouldn't pay street triple prices unless I was in an entirely different tax bracket. Good luck picking your bike and seriously GO SIT ON ONE :)

2015 FZ-07 # 468

It sounds like the 09 is the one for you - and if 'too much' is a concern...I wouldn't sweat it. Growing up I read a lot about motorcycles and the consensus was too small and too large displacement are equally dangerous but you the rider are ultimately the one who is twisting the throttle. The 09 has a better suspension and does seem to cradle larger riders just fine...though it's very very close to the same size. If you haven't sat on it yet do so. That's how you'll know. Sit on it, start it - if you get the butterfly's and a Shet eating grin then the decision is likely a very good one. I love the street triple...but wouldn't pay street triple prices unless I was in an entirely different tax bracket. Good luck picking your bike and seriously GO SIT ON ONE :) 

Thanks for the advice!  I actually have sat on both, so I know that both bikes are comfortable to me.  Have not ridden either, but I am less hesitant to look at an 09 due to "too much power."  At first I didn't even consider an 09 because I didn't want to get more bike than I can handle...but I'm confident that I would be able to grow with the bike as long as I respect it from day 1.  I've never been interested in wheelies or top speed runs, so my style will be pretty relaxed.  Overall, I would describe my riding and driving style in general to be getting up to speed quickly, then cruising and enjoying the ride.  
I'm hoping to get to a local dealer again soon and hopefully sit on both models back to back, since it's been a few months since I last sat on them.  I would be happy with either bike, i guess it just depends on what's available when I am ready to buy.  I won't be in a hurry and scoop up whatever I can find, but I do not want to wait so long that I waste some good riding weather when spring hits.  

scobiwonkenobi

Very cool - excited to see what you end up going with! Personally not the top speed run or wheelie kind myself. Though this is the first new vehicle I've owned ever...the idea of later on down the road owning a few different kind of used bikes would be blissy. Can't wait to get the chance to ride different kinds of bike 'personalities'.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

Yeah I'm excited to see what I end up with myself. I've ridden a handful of different bikes over the years, just haven't owned one myself. I've ridden a 2008 Ninja 250, two Suzuki GSXR-600's, a 2008 Ninja 650R, a Kawasaki 1600 Mean Streak, and i'm sure there's a couple more i'm forgetting. Granted, all these rides have been spread out over the past 10 years or so, but at least I know that supersport bikes aren't for me, and I want something light and nimble. That Mean Streak was comfy and torquey, but it wasn't flickable and fun.

I'll stay focused on the 07 as planned, but when I'm ready to buy if I can scoop up an 09 for cheap i'll probably jump on it. I know I won't be disappointed either way.

• 2 weeks later...

After recently getting engaged, I've been doing a lot of thinking. I can't leave any vehicle I own stock. Regardless of what bike I get, I'm going to do levers, screen, exhaust, LED's, etc. Instead of spending $7k+ on a new 07, then add mods to that, I think it would be more responsible at this point to spend a little less on the bike itself, then look into upgrading after the wedding and we get settled.

Unless by some miracle I can find a used 07 for 5k, i think I'm going to be looking at used FZ6, FZ6R, and SFV650(Gladius). Not a huge fan of suzuki, but having a naked twin would still be awesome. There's a 2009 FZ6 in my area with 4900 miles for $3999, so deals are definitely around. I think a used bike in this range would keep me plenty happy for 2-3 years until I am able to look at something newer. I'm still a month or 2 away from making a final decision, but this is where my head is at right now, and I think it'll be a good idea to get something used in the short-term, and worry about a "dream bike" in a couple years. At least I'll still be able to ride in the meantime, and that is my overall goal, regardless of the bike.

Unless by some miracle I can find a used 07 for 5k, i think I'm going to be looking at used FZ6, FZ6R, and SFV650(Gladius).
Where is the fun to upgrade a FZ6R and ending up as the same price, or more, than a new FZ-07?  I know, it's your call. 
But a FZ6R? A very linear powerband (boring) is what i remembered from my test ride. The FZ6 is weak on torque. The engine is peaky, but exciting in high rpm. The Gladius has a very good engine, but i don't like the look and it has not enough legroom for me.

Why wait for the future? It's so pleasing to forget once in awhile to be logical.  Hummm! Wait! Buying a FZ-07 IS a logical choice. For me at least. That' why i didn't end up buying the FZ-09 after a test ride in october 2013.

Hey, it's up to you. ::);)

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Guest August BB

You can always just buy the fz07, then tell your fiance that you have to push back the wedding to buy mods for it. *insert huge smile emoticon here*

• Premium Member
You can always just buy the fz07, then tell your fiance that you have to push back the wedding to buy mods for it. *insert huge smile emoticon here*
You'll probably save a lot after that since the wedding won't happen.

Unless by some miracle I can find a used 07 for 5k, i think I'm going to be looking at used FZ6, FZ6R, and SFV650(Gladius).
Where is the fun to upgrade a FZ6R and ending up as the same price, or more, than a new FZ-07?  I know, it's your call. 
But a FZ6R? A very linear powerband (boring) is what i remembered from my test ride. The FZ6 is weak on torque. The engine is peaky, but exciting in high rpm. The Gladius has a very good engine, but i don't like the look and it has not enough legroom for me.

Why wait for the future? It's so pleasing to forget once in awhile to be logical.  Hummm! Wait! Buying a FZ-07 IS a logical choice. For me at least. That' why i didn't end up buying the FZ-09 after a test ride in october 2013.

Hey, it's up to you. ::);)

Well, there's a handful of FZ6R's in my area for under 5k.  Figure 5500 otd with tax.  Few mods over time puts me in the 6k range, in time.  07's around me new would be around 7500-8k otd, plus mods.   
I went to see that $3999 FZ6 today and it was awesome.  Super clean, almost new, definitely awesome for a 2009.  I realize none of these bikes are an FZ-07, but they will do for 2-3 seasons until i can go a different direction.  My goal is to get a standard sport bike to ride this year.  The 07 is my favorite by far, but not worth the 7-8k at this point with so much other stuff going on.  If the 07 had more than 1 model year under its belt and i could get a used one, that would be sweet.  But, since that's not the case, i'll either have to get super lucky in finding one, or just go with a different model.  I'm buying something in March hopefully, and the idea of paying only 4-5k, spending a little on mods, and then just enjoying it seems like my best bet at this point.  It's not that I can't afford an 07, It would just be nice to be in 3-4k less debt over the next couple years while we prepare for the wedding.  

I haven't sat on a gladius yet, looks like it might be too small but i'll try to sit on one.  FZ6/6R feel fine to me.  I also sat on an SV650S today, and it was definitely too forward of a lean for me.  The FZ6 is sweet since it has a center stand, good styling, etc.  I dunno, just depends on what I can find in a month or two. I will admit though, snatching up this FZ6 with 4900 miles is tempting...

In 2004, i owned a Sv650S and a FZ6. As you point out, mjesenovec, the riding position of the SV650S is too racer like. That's why i sold the SV. The FZ6 is a great bike. Even if i prefered the SV's engine. Having the choice between the FZ6 and the FZ6R. My choice would be the FZ6 in a heartbeat. The naked SV650 are rare overhere (Canada). But i would have hard time to decide between the naked SV and the FZ6.

All that for saying that i understand your dilemma.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

In 2004, i owned a Sv650S and a FZ6. As you point out, mjesenovec, the riding position of the SV650S is too racer like. That's why i sold the SV. The FZ6 is a great bike. Even if i prefered the SV's engine. Having the choice between the FZ6 and the FZ6R. My choice would be the FZ6 in a heartbeat. The naked SV650 are rare overhere (Canada). But i would have hard time to decide between the naked SV and the FZ6. 
All that for saying that i understand your dilemma.

Yeah, the FZ6 has the comfort, stiffer suspension, looks, and price that I want, but I'd rather have a twin instead of a 4.  That being said, for 4k with 4900 miles on it...not sure a new 07 would give me an extra 3-4k worth of enjoyment or value.  The one I sat on yesterday was clean, only a couple minor scuffs on things I would replace anyway (turn signals) and was overall really clean.  Was a bit dusty but I could tell with a wash and some wax, it would shine like new.  It's hard to find later model FZ6's with such low miles.  I almost want to scoop it up now, since I don't know what will be available in Feb/March when I was planning to buy anyway.  
I would rather have an FZ6 than a 6R, so i'm worried that I won't be able to find a clean one in the next couple months.  It's a tough choice at this point.  I still want to sit on a gladius, but i've heard it's smaller and best for shorter riders.  A standard SV650 would work too, but I've only seen 650s's in my area, and those clip-on handlebars just won't work for me. 

I am not sure what kind of speed limits and roads you'll be riding on, but I went from a 600 ss to a 250 motard then to a cbr250. I had the 600 for 38,xxx miles and the power was nice and I miss it, but the weebee I have now does everything I could ask. If it is going to be your first bike it couldn't hurt to pick up a used 250 to get some miles under your belt. I weigh about 225 geared up and my wife is probably 130 with gear and the 250 doesn't miss a beat with both of us on it, 70 + mph can be a little tough going up hills.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more powerful bike, hence why I am on here, but I wish I would have started on a 250 instead of a 110 hp machine that very easily could have gotten away with me.

Archived