The MT-07 Forum

Decided on FZ-07, but what if I find a cheaper, bigger bike?

mjesenovec

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any replies.  

So, after years of bouncing back and forth between a Ninja 250, a Yamaha Stryker 1300, and everything in between, I've finally settled on the FZ-07 as my first bike.  However, before paying 7k for a new one (hopefully in the next couple months), I want some advice.

I am 5'11, 265lbs.  I'm not huge or fat but used to lift, always had a wider, stockier build.  I'm going to get back into training and my goal weight is still 220.  Yes, 220 is my "fit and thin weight."  Like I said...stockier build.  

Am I too big or heavy for an FZ-07?  This will be my first street bike.  I've ridden a bunch of different models over the years, have had my M Class license since 2005-ish, just never bought a bike.  I've ridden a ninja 250, zx6r, gsxr600, ninja 650, even a 1600 meanstreak. I need/want a naked bike that can do a bit of everything.  Longest ride I plan on taking is around 100mi one-way, so I won't be doing any crazy touring.  Mostly just for fun/casual rides, or commuting 14mi to work on nice days.  Just a general, do everything bike.  I'm more into acceleration than top speed.  I'm almost 29 and got all my street-racing and craziness out of my system when I was younger.  I'm all about comfort and fun now.  That's why I want a "do-everything, be comfy, and put a smile on my face every time I ride" kind of bike.

Since this will be my first bike, I would prefer to use it as-is.  I don't plan on dumping tons of money into suspension mods or anything crazy outside of exhaust and basic bolt-ons.  While everything i've read and watched about the FZ-07 tells me i'd be making a good choice, there are other bikes out there on the used market that I could pick up around the same price, if not a bit cheaper.  I've sat on an 07 and an FZ-09.  There's a dealer in my area that has a brand new 09 in stock on sale for the same price as an 07...so that got me thinking.  Would I be crazy to at least consider and 09, or a street triple, or anything that would be considered "next step up" from an 07?  I have less than 1,000 miles of street experience over the past 10 years, so i'm still a noob.  I also know myself and know I have the restraint and patience to learn on anything I end up buying.  I'm not really worried about the 07 being enough power, but I just get the feeling, being a bigger guy, that I would appreciate getting a bigger bike with more suspension adjustments.  I dunno, maybe I'm worrying over nothing?

I guess my biggest fear is paying 7k for an 07 and HAVING to dump money into suspension, or having it not be big enough for comfort, etc.  The 09 felt a tad bigger and gave me a bit more room when i sat on it, but then again i'm not going to be on it for hours on end.  The FZ-07 was perfectly comfortable, i just wish I could be sure it will keep me happy for years, or whether I should look at something bigger out of the gate.  I just don't want to buy the wrong bike for me and want to upgrade/swap in a year or two.  I want to find the perfect bike for me and keep it for a while.  I have no interest in supersports, as they are not comfortable.  I like muscle cruisers like the stryker and raider, but fear I will regret not having something lighter, more nimble, and fun.  I'm going to use the bike for fun and light commuting, it's not going to be my primary transportation, as my Charger fits that role quite nicely.  But, as long as the weather is nice, I plan on riding the hell out of whatever bike I end up with. 

So, thoughts?  Should I stay focused on the 07, or should I at least consider a bigger bike at an equal or lower price?  Ideally, my first street bike should be a used SV650 or FZ6r or something...but I'm a fan of getting what I know I want out of the gate so I don't have to keep changing my mind or "upgrading."  Another thing that I have to keep in mind, is I live in the Chicago-area, so everything is flat and boring.  There's no crazy twisties, no mountain roads to carve, nothing.  So any worries I have about suspension might be a non-issue in my case anyway.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 5' 10" 260lbs about the same build and commute 150 miles per day on mine without any issues. I also go out for spirited rides through the great Northern Cali roads and it is a blast!

That's actually great to know! I mean I was never questioning the FZ-07's power. 0-60 in under 4 seconds is all i'll ever need, I was more worried about the suspension and overall size. It felt great when I sat on it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing myself over when I should have gotten something with a beefier suspension. I never plan on ever riding a bike on a track, or getting too crazy, I just like to cruise around and have fun. Getting up to the speed limit as fast as possible is always a blast, but I've grown out of crazy speeding or going 150mph for no reason. As long as the FZ-07 can haul me around, maybe with a rare passenger on-back without any issues, i'm sure the 07 is definitely the right choice for me.

• Premium Member

I mean, an 09 for the price of an 07 sounds like a great deal if you're interested.

I've ridden two-up with the 07 to total the weight of about 265-280lb and it did just fine.

Now I do have a friend who has the 09 and loves it. It's set up a bit more aggressively with the handle bars a little lower and a wider tank. I myself considered the 09 until the 07 came out. I decided on the 07 since I'm a daily commuter and didn't feel the need for all that weight and power while lane splitting through traffic. But just like @bmichalec, I think it'd be perfect for cruising around and doing trips at 100 miles no problem.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I went with the 07 because I'd be on my toes with the 09. That plus not requiring premium fuel and 60mpg.

I mostly commute, but my bike is my "everything bike". If I wanted to go on a roadtrip, cruise out for a weekend of camping, blast around a track, get to work or get groceries I can do that on the 07.

Not that the 09 couldn't do the same, but I didn't require anything more than the smaller bike offered. Insurance price was right up my alley as well.

I couldn't find much else I personally liked that did everything, looked good, and had the right price tag.

Everything went braap.

As long as the FZ-07 can haul me around, maybe with a rare passenger on-back without any issues, i'm sure the 07 is definitely the right choice for me.
At your current weight with a passenger, it might be an issue. Max 07 loading is 386 lbs.  

I'm 6' 1", 200 lbs and the suspension isn't a problem for me. I mean sure it could be better. But in no way is it a deal breaker or a major hindrance to the bike fun and performance. IMO

I'm 6' 1", 200 lbs and the suspension isn't a problem for me. I mean sure it could be better. But in no way is it a deal breaker or a major hindrance to the bike fun and performance. IMO

I am 5'11 and 210 lbs.  So far I haven't had any issues with the suspension on the stock setting on the FZ-07.  I may stiffen it up a little bit in the rear spring after I put on a few more miles.  The bike is plenty fast but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a little bit of buyers remorse.  Part of me wishes that I would have bought the FZ09 that was also on the showroom floor.  Insurance was only about $20 more per year.   I got spooked because this was my first bike and everybody drilled into my head that I was already in over my head if I bought anything besides a Ninja 250.

If you can get an 09 for the price of an 07 and you are 265 lbs, I would jump on it. The suspension will be an upgrade and more easily adjusted to your needs, and the extra power will be nice. I'm 145 lbs. and I'm still considering what to buy 07 or 09. I'm leaning towards 07, because at my weight the 09 power is overkill. They will both work for you and both be exceptional bikes, but if someone offered me that deal, I think I'd take it.

I am 5'11 and 210 lbs.  So far I haven't had any issues with the suspension on the stock setting on the FZ-07.  I may stiffen it up a little bit in the rear spring after I put on a few more miles.  The bike is plenty fast but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a little bit of buyers remorse.  Part of me wishes that I would have bought the FZ09 that was also on the showroom floor.  Insurance was only about $20 more per year.   I got spooked because this was my first bike and everybody drilled into my head that I was already in over my head if I bought anything besides a Ninja 250. 
Same.

Im 6'0 and 205 pounds and bought the FZ07 because everyone told me that anything larger than a 250 cc bike would instantly kill me and my entire family...

After riding the 07, i very quickly realized that its not the bike that will get you killed, its the idiot behind the wheel IF said idiot, decides to tap into idiotic tendencies...

I can understand how a complete noober without any concept of throttle control or common sense could more easily kill themselves on a more powerful bike but for anyone with a shred of common sense and the desire to SLOWLY learn proper throttle control, a larger bike to me, seems like no big deal.

I hate to admit im jonsing for a bit more power but i will get over it fairly quickly i hope.  Ive gone through the same things with my cars in the past and i always realize that trying to soup them up so that they can go SLIGHTLY faster becomes a never ending quest with no real end.  Its about the experience ON the bike and what you can do with it that matters and the 07 is plenty fast and plenty capable for what *I* the rider am capable of.

Have any of you larger dudes gone ahead and adjusted the preload for your rear shock?

• Global Moderator

I am 205 lbs and set my rear shock to 6. It seems good to me. I have been happy with the power of the -07 and I really like the torque curve. No regrets here.

As a 235 lb FZ-09 owner, I can tell you that the suspension on the 09 is maybe one degree better than the 07, but still sucks and seriously makes me hold back a lil in the corners due to the pogo effect. But, that triple engine is addictive, especially after dialing it in a bit.

Yamaha built 3 awesome new bikes at a price point thst allows throwing a lil more into suspension and then having near perfect bikes. Yamaha is hitting some seriously high sales numbers all of a sudden.

If you can get an 09 for the price of an 07 and you are 265 lbs, I would jump on it. The suspension will be an upgrade and more easily adjusted to your needs, and the extra power will be nice. I'm 145 lbs. and I'm still considering what to buy 07 or 09. I'm leaning towards 07, because at my weight the 09 power is overkill. They will both work for you and both be exceptional bikes, but if someone offered me that deal, I think I'd take it.

• Global Moderator

The FZ-07 and FZ-09 are the second and third best selling bikes in Europe, behind a BMW (I forget which one). Yamaha has some fantastic bikes in the showroom.

At the end of the day a bike is a personal thing, I am 200 lb + kit and 5'10 and am very
happy with mine, 360 mile days are not a problem, only niggles I have are it could carry
another half a gall of fuel and the rear shock is under damped, but this is being a bit
over critical given the price, I would say it's the best value for money bike out there.
Go sit on one see what it feels like try to get a test ride, I don't think you will be disappointed.
If your going to do mods first thing I would do would be a rear shock a loud exhaust will
allow you to annoy others and you may get another 1 or  2 hp and it will be a little lighter
but if you want to ride it a long way the noise will become tiring and a bike with a better
shock will just ride away from you round the bends.

I went with the 07 because I'd be on my toes with the 09. That plus not requiring premium fuel and 60mpg.  
I mostly commute, but my bike is my "everything bike". If I wanted to go on a roadtrip, cruise out for a weekend of camping, blast around a track, get to work or get groceries I can do that on the 07.

Not that the 09 couldn't do the same, but I didn't require anything more than the smaller bike offered. Insurance price was right up my alley as well.

I couldn't find much else I personally liked that did everything, looked good, and had the right price tag.
If I remember correctly, I can flat foot both bikes.  Premium doesen't really bother me, as most cars i've ever owned required premium.  Plus, filling a 3gal tank would only be an extra dollar...so i'm not worried about it. 

That's exactly what i'm looking for is an "everything" bike.  Like I said before, I don't have any interest in ever doing anything track-related, or doing anything that would require me to have a super dialed-in suspension.  I'm just going to cruise around one the street and ride for fun.   

The 07 is definitely about the max price-wise I would be looking at.  I just figured while i'm looking if I come across a deal on a 09 or something, why not?  Even a lightly used 09 for $6500 or something seems like it would be a good deal.  If I did come across an 09 in my price range, I would make sure they flash the update for the throttle, and I would ride around in B mode for a while until I got used to it.  It's more power than I would ever realistically need, but it might leave me with a little more room to grow.  That being said, i'm still focused on the 07 for sure...just keeping my options open if another deal falls in my lap. 

As long as the FZ-07 can haul me around, maybe with a rare passenger on-back without any issues, i'm sure the 07 is definitely the right choice for me.
At your current weight with a passenger, it might be an issue. Max 07 loading is 386 lbs.
Yeah that's true.  I meant very rare, like take somebody around the block real quick on a rare occasion, not really do a few hundred mile road trip with a passenger.  If I was planning on having a passenger on a regular basis, I definitely wouldn't choose a bike like this, especially at my size.  I would go more sport-touring or something like that.  

That's good to know.  I mean while I'm sure eventually I would notice limitations in the stock suspension, I doubt i'll ever get to a point where I would need major upgrades for handling.  Mostly straight, flat roads around me anyway.   

Honestly I'm sure the 75hp of the 07 would be plenty for me and what I want to use the bike for.  It just felt like the 09 was a tad bigger, maybe a bit roomier if I recall correctly.  Not that the 07 was too small or uncomfortable at all, both felt great.  I didn't really notice much of a weight difference.  The 09 is what, 20 pounds heavier?  I like the styling and the center-mounted gauge much more on the 07, but i'm sure i'd get used to the 09 if i ever got one.  Since i'll be 29 this year, i'm not worried too much about insurance either, as I would get package discounts with my house and car.  I think there is a little bit of a "spooked" factor with the 09.  In the back of my head i worry a little about the power, but then I remember I have ridden bikes with over 100hp, and a bike is only as fast as you ride it.  while a 700-900cc bike wouldn't be typically recommended for a newer rider, it's not out of the question if you respect the bike out of the gate and not act like you're invincible. I've been about 400 miles on my buddy's 250 and while it was a blast, I know it would be a mistake for me to get something that small.   

True.  Like I said i'm planning on getting down to 240 soon, and eventually 220-225...but i'm never going to be in that 150lb range or anything.  220 is about the lightest i'll ever be.  The 09 power might be overkill, as i'd be plenty happy with the 07's power.  I dunno.  I think riding an 09 with the throttle reflash installed in B mode would be a lot less scary than i'm making it in my head.  It's probably no big deal at all.  I would have to used to any bike I end up with, whether it's 75hp or 100+, so i'm not sure I really have to worry about that too much.  I'm not going to focus on an 09, but if a deal falls in my lap and i can have either an 07 or an 09 for pretty much the same price...it'd be worth a thought I think.  

Same.

Im 6'0 and 205 pounds and bought the FZ07 because everyone told me that anything larger than a 250 cc bike would instantly kill me and my entire family...

After riding the 07, i very quickly realized that its not the bike that will get you killed, its the idiot behind the wheel IF said idiot, decides to tap into idiotic tendencies...

I can understand how a complete noober without any concept of throttle control or common sense could more easily kill themselves on a more powerful bike but for anyone with a shred of common sense and the desire to SLOWLY learn proper throttle control, a larger bike to me, seems like no big deal.

I hate to admit im jonsing for a bit more power but i will get over it fairly quickly i hope.  Ive gone through the same things with my cars in the past and i always realize that trying to soup them up so that they can go SLIGHTLY faster becomes a never ending quest with no real end.  Its about the experience ON the bike and what you can do with it that matters and the 07 is plenty fast and plenty capable for what *I* the rider am capable of.

Have any of you larger dudes gone ahead and adjusted the preload for your rear shock?

I think i'm a victim of the same advice.  Every piece of advice you see online is either "buy a 250 or you'll die" or "start with a busa who cares?"  I think anybody can handle any bike as long as they know their own personal limits.  While I realize I would have to show the 09 a little more respect power-wise, I also realize that any bike that can get me to at least 30mph could kill me.  I don't have a ton of experience, but I'm confident in my throttle control and hand-eye coordination that I know I COULD ride an 09 just fine.  I guess i just had reservations on whether or not I should.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't making some absurd or insane mistake by thinking my first bike could be an 09.  I think of it as something I could grow into, and benefit from with the adjustable suspension...but who knows.  I have a bad habit of buying a new car almost annualy, and I don't want to have that same vehicle ADD when I get a bike.  Whichever bike I end up with, i plan on keeping it for quite a while.  Not forever, but I don't want to swap bikes every season. 

I am 205 lbs and set my rear shock to 6. It seems good to me. I have been happy with the power of the -07 and I really like the torque curve. No regrets here.
Good to hear!  I love twins and I'm sure I would be completely happy with an 07.  I've sat on a handful and it always put a smile on my face and felt great.  Then again, so did the 09.  I'm just trying to decide if an 09 is a good option for me IF i'm faced with a situation in which I have to choose between the two.  at MSRP, i'm going with the 07 all day, but if there's a new 07 or a lightly used, or leftover new 09 for the same price...then it really becomes a toss-up.  I guess I'm just trying to make sure that if i'm put in that situation, and i spend the same amount of money on more bike, that I wouldn't be making a huge mistake.  

As a 235 lb FZ-09 owner, I can tell you that the suspension on the 09 is maybe one degree better than the 07, but still sucks and seriously makes me hold back a lil in the corners due to the pogo effect. But, that triple engine is addictive, especially after dialing it in a bit. 
Yamaha built 3 awesome new bikes at a price point thst allows throwing a lil more into suspension and then having near perfect bikes. Yamaha is hitting some seriously high sales numbers all of a sudden.

No matter what happens, I'm hellbent on owning a Yamaha.  I've always been a fan of Kawi bikes, and especially the kawi green, but the ninja 650 is way too cramped for me.  The 07 and 09 are much more comfortable, and I prefer naked bikes anyway.  Triples are such cool motors, but i love the muscular thump of a twin.  I guess a triple would be a good compromise sound-wise between a twin and a four.  Kinda like how a v6 splits the difference between a v8 and a 4cyl car.  
It's funny how some people have really specific opinions on these suspensions, are some people are just like "yeah it's great, no problems here."  I guess it just depends on the rider and the type of tasks the bikes are given.  I'm going to be riding on mostly flat, boring roads, and riding mostly for fun with some light commuting thrown in. 

The FZ-07 and FZ-09 are the second and third best selling bikes in Europe, behind a BMW (I forget which one). Yamaha has some fantastic bikes in the showroom.
That's awesome!  I had no idea they were selling THAT well across the pond, but I can't say i'm surprised.  The 07 and 09 have gotten rave reviews since their release.  Couple minor hiccups along the way, but nobody has been able to deny their value. 

At the end of the day a bike is a personal thing, I am 200 lb + kit and 5'10 and am very happy with mine, 360 mile days are not a problem, only niggles I have are it could carry
another half a gall of fuel and the rear shock is under damped, but this is being a bit
over critical given the price, I would say it's the best value for money bike out there.
Go sit on one see what it feels like try to get a test ride, I don't think you will be disappointed.
If your going to do mods first thing I would do would be a rear shock a loud exhaust will
allow you to annoy others and you may get another 1 or  2 hp and it will be a little lighter
but if you want to ride it a long way the noise will become tiring and a bike with a better
shock will just ride away from you round the bends.
Good advice!  I actually showed up to a yamaha demo ride this past fall and planned on riding both the 07 and 09, but the demo got rained out shortly after I arrived.  I was super disappointed but I can always try another one this year.  I have been planning on getting my bike in Feb/Mar, so in 2-3 months to hopefully get a good winter deal, but we'll see.  There won't be any demo rides between now and then due to the weather, but nothing is set in stone, so i'll have to wait and see what happens.

• Premium Member

Never know what you might find. Just browsing craigslist a few weeks ago I saw an 09 listed. The bike had a few upgrades, but damage to some parts from a lowside. At the $5,500 asking price though it was still a good deal.

Everything went braap.

Never know what you might find. Just browsing craigslist a few weeks ago I saw an 09 listed. The bike had a few upgrades, but damage to some parts from a lowside. At the $5,500 asking price though it was still a good deal.
That's my point.  I've seen a handful of FZ-09's around for the price of a new 07 or less.  In late fall, a dealer near me had a leftover new FZ-09 they knocked a grand off...so yep, same price as a new 07.  Plus, The 09 has been out for an extra model year than the 07?  There should be some popping up used.  I saw one recently on cycletrader somewhere in the chicago area.  Red 09, used, 4xx miles, $6800 or something like that.  A random deal like that is something that would definitely make me think twice about getting a new 07.  Not that there's any reason I wouldn't get the 07, but why not get more for the same price?  

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This discussion makes some very thoughtful and excellent points for you to consider and I can tell you are going turn this over in your mind and make the right choice for you.

If you get to the point where it could go either way and you can't make up your mind at all, do this: Take a good look at the tail light of each bike; this should give you your answer.

Illegitimi non carborundum

This discussion makes some very thoughtful and excellent points for you to consider and I can tell you are going turn this over in your mind and make the right choice for you. 
If you get to the point where it could go either way and you can't make up your mind at all, do this: Take a good look at the tail light of each bike; this should give you your answer.

I get the feeling there's a joke here that went completely over my head.  lol.  What about the tail lights?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It wasn't meant to be a joke but there is a bit of humor in there. I don't want to taint your decision this way. Google a picture of the 07 and 09 or even better see them in person and study the style, shape and attachment of the tail lights. I'll bet you prefer one over the other. Only use this if all other factors are even and you need a tipping point.  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

09 taillight looks like they forgot they needed one and stuck it on real quick out of a parts bin . hideous. if i got one id look into just doing led signal strips or something

Dealer in my area has a used FZ8 for $5900. 1200 miles, stock. Running across stuff like this really makes me think. I really want an FZ-07, but I don't know if it would be smarter for me to get something used for my first bike. I'm not even talking about necessarily bigger or more powerful, just cheaper. Sure I can go finance an FZ07 new without any issues, but would I be better off getting an FZ6, FZ8, FZ6R, SV650, etc. and saving 2-4 grand?

Iv'e had a SV 650 great bike but getting old now they are one of the few bikes of
comparable performance you can get cheaper after big price cuts than the MT-07 I
would not swap the MT for the SV and if you jump for the MT it will be easer
to sell than most of the others if you find you made a mistake.
the FZ-8 looks like the pick of that bunch but only a test ride will tell and if
you like a 4 instead of a twin.

Archived