The MT-07 Forum

New Tires???

bmichalec

I rode the Wrynose and Hardknott passes here in the UK and the front of the bike
did not feel right after, when really got to looking at it the thread had started to
separate from the carcase in one small area mind I was leaning on it a bit hard.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/Xy46iItV0F.VN1H4so3Ebg--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NjAwO3E9OTU7dz04MDA-/http://ragtimecyclist.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/hardknott.jpg

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/HIlAfWlBt3TR9kpQlPg6zw--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NDgxO3E9OTU7dz02NDA-/http://www.visitcumbria.com/wp-content/gallery/eskdale-hardknott-pass/5-hardknott-mk.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is an old thread, but i'm curious if anyone went to the 170/60 and what the results were. I will be due to replace my stock 180/55 PR3 tire soon and I am looking at the PR4 trail 170/60. I have noticed that the 180/55 becomes harder to turn at higher lean angles and hope the 170/60 is an improvement with out any ill effects.

Additionally if anyone has comparison pictures that would be great!

I have a Michelin Pilot road 4 that has done way over 7000km on my Husky TR650 Strada, and almost all of that upright and it is far from worn out. It weights more than the 07 and was heavy load toured for most of that 7000km.
Pilot road 3's do not grip as well nor in as wide a range of conditions. Road 3 are now getting a bit old , rubber age wise and I think it may not be a wise choice
I will be going to PR4's. 170/60 . As soon as I wear out this set of Bridige OEM's . I haven't had much chance to ride for the past year so It's taking a while and I may have to chuck them anyway as the tyre is getting towards a couple of years old.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Thanks guys, since no one has tried the 170 yet I may just have to be the guinea pig. The only reason I am hesitating is because of the mixed opinions I've seen about maintaining the correct tire profile on a 5.5" wheel.

I'd be more inclined to think that lower pressures allows for greater tire flex = hotter tire = stickier rubber 
Larger contact patches don't equal greater traction or friction. Friction is a product of normal force (perpendicular) acting on surface and coefficient of friction. Nothing to do with area.
I think a Physics textbook will agree with you, but this generally doesn't play out in real life, probably due to the composition of rubber and asphalt.   
The friction between asphalt and tire can be so great that it eclipses the chemical bond between the rubber molecules.  When this happens, slip occurs regardless of how great the coefficient of friction is between tire and road (think skidmarks, burnouts, etc).  A wider tire provides more grip, even though friction is independent of area, since the extra area applies less pressure on the rubber molecules, and decreases the likelihood of them parting from each other.  

Should I call Bill Nye or Johnnie Cochran to explain the meaning of this? Ha!  ;)

Beemer

• 2 months later...

The Japanese Euro spec ABS MT07 comes stock with BATTLAX BT-023 SPORT TOURING , anybody have experience with these rubbers? So far breaking in speeds under 7,000 rpm, they seem awesome, very confidence inspiring.

Mine came with BT-023s too. Much better than the Michelin PR2s I had on my last bike (just my impression). I replaced them with BT-016Pros, a sportier tire, which where near perfect for my use. Made the bike easier to throw around and gave a lot of confidence while leaning. Cons: they have lasted a bit over 5000km.
S21s are the last evolution from BT and regarded as a great sport tire.

Any experience with Bridgestone S21? im ready to purchase them as replacement for the standard Michelin.
I have the S21 on my Ducati Monster S4RS.  Fantastic tire.  Ultimate grip just about on par with the Dunlop Q3, but seem to last longer and cost less.  I might have an outlet for them...we don't normally do tires on a regular basis but if enough people are interested maybe I can do a group buy on them... 
:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Any experience with Bridgestone S21? im ready to purchase them as replacement for the standard Michelin.
I have the S21 on my Ducati Monster S4RS.  Fantastic tire.  Ultimate grip just about on par with the Dunlop Q3, but seem to last longer and cost less.  I might have an outlet for them...we don't normally do tires on a regular basis but if enough people are interested maybe I can do a group buy on them... 

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

I'm reading only positive feedbacks about this tires!
Looking forward to fit them on the bike.
Alternative option: pirelli diablo rosso III but are more expensive :/

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
I'm reading only positive feedbacks about this tires!
Looking forward to fit them on the bike.
Alternative option: pirelli diablo rosso III but are more expensive :/
I have the Rosso III's as my street tire for my FZ-07.  Both are excellent tires but as you said, the Pirelli's are more $$$. 
If anyone is looking for a deal on tires, we're doing something special for forum members...see our GROUP BUY on BRIDGESTONE tires in the Vendor area :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

I've got about 3000 kms on a set of battlax T30. I can't complain. Grip has been excellent. I hope they last as long as the stock michelins.

I don't think the S21s will be necessary unless you are going to take your bike to the track. The stock tires (mine came with BT-023) offer plenty of grip for this bike riding on the street. I ditched the stock sport touring tires for S21 sport tires right away like I've done for every street bike I've bought (S20s on the others) and noticed very little to no difference this time. In fact I've noticed NO difference in grip even after riding tight mountain roads fairly aggressively with only 1/4" chicken strips showing on the rear. I was going to sell the stock tires like I usually do but I've decided to keep them and put them back on when I wear out the S21s. It will be interesting to see how many miles I get on the S21s vs 023s. 
I'm running 31-32 PSI front and 33-34 rear

To be honest I can't wait until the stock battleaxe tires are done. I don't feel confident of them in the rain like I did my power pilot 1, 2 or 3 on all the other bikes I had. (ninja 500 and sv1000 being the latest before the fz).

Mine came with the Bridgestones not as good as the Michelins fitted to the two other 07's I've ridden,
they lasted 10,000 miles and though legle were getting a bit twitchy, now fitted with Continental Evo-11
GT's they don't seem to have a good reputation in some quarters but are better than the Bridgestones.

Don't risk riding on it, your life is worth way more than riding on a "may pop".
I have done a good bit of research and read quite a bit of reviews and the Pilot road 4 seems to be the best for a commuter. The Diablo is a track tire. That all said it's up to you but I sure wouldn't ride on what you have now.

Archived