The MT-07 Forum

New Tires???

bmichalec

pantheraleo
http://fz07.org/thread/1585/

I like the second to last post in this thread...gregjet has some reasonable sounding advice.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ralph

Well I know what's going on mine next, a pair of Continental Road Attack 2 Evo's
someone I know only likes Michelin's so sold me the Conti's he took off for
£40 about $60

I don't see the PR4 being offered in a 170/60 except in the GT or Trail versions  @gregjet

5.5" will comfortably take a 170/60 and there are some beauties in this size. Added benefit of higher profile giving more stability in turns. Almost no difference in rolling diameter so doesn't effect the ABS if you have it. Made the same change on my BMW F800R. Transformed the bike ( although the BM's weight bias was a bit more even). When I get the MT run in sufficiently, I will change to Michelin Pilot Road 4's. They make a 170/60, and are the best tyre I have ever used on a road going motorcycle IMHO. On the last Phillip Island trip from home to PI and back ( 6000km), there were 8 of us. 6 had changed to Michlein road pilot 4's and ALL of us loved them. On the way down 1deg C ( about 34deg F) and wind and rain to torrential, on the way home up to 44deg C ( about 100deg F) and dry all in 2 and a half weeks. You gotta love the Aussie climate. Tyres were faultless the whole time.

The GT version I feel would be a bit hard for most people as it is designed for heavier bikes. Having said that If you are wearing the guts out of you tyre on the MT the GT may be EXACTLY the way to go. The trail version has the same tread but harder middle 2ct not 3ct like the GT. The trail is meant as a road only version for adventure style bikes as a few come stock with 170/60 rears. I have a slightly smaller sized one on my Husky TR650 Strada that I use for touring and it is fantastic. I reckon it would definitely be the go on the MT. As soon as I run in the MT it will get a Michelin PR4 set. I MIGHT go for a 110/70 front but I will have a think about it first.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

shadowcat

I'm quite happy with the Q3 right now. I've about 4k on the rear and the middle is flat from a lot of freeway riding but I'd say it has another 500-750 safe miles on it. The front seems fine for another couple thousand.

Dunlops have been traditionally harsh. I haven't used them except for on tt101 on a superlight( a couple of years ago) for years. Always had good grip and the K91 was THE first ever tyre that gripped in the wet, but since the late 70's, they all seem to ride harsh. Is it still the case?

• 3 weeks later...

I am guessing you won't be disappointed

thomascrown

I have tons of life on the front tire, but will be replacing it anyway. I was thinking of doing a pilot power front and a pilot road 4 in the back. That would probably be the best combination, but it'll have to wait till 24k miles.

Pilot road 4's both, unless you are on the track then I can't comment as I haven't had PR4's on the track. Best road tyres I have ever used ...full stop. BY a lot.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's time to replace those BT-023. They're good tires, but i'm not a fan of the BT (020, 090 on previous bike). I rode an adventure bike and dual sport bikes for a couple of years. The Avon Distanzia is the best tire i had so far. I had the regular version and the SM version. Because i venture sometimes on unpaved roads and forest roads with my FZ, i check what was available. The Distanzia doesn't come with our size. The new Avon Trailrider does, but it's not available here in Canada for now.

So i went to my dealer this morning. The Conti TrailAttack2 is backorder for the rear tire. The Metzeler Tourance Next is backorder for the front. There's only one set of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. Seems that no Scorpion Trail 2 distributed are over here.

So in the end, I bought a set of Pirelli Angel GT. I was looking for Avon Strom 2 Ultra, but seems that it's discontinued. Michelin? For no reasons, i'm avoiding this brand. Back in the days, they were expensive and performance wise, they were equal to other brand. So.  :D:P.

Since a couple of years, i bought tires in the winter period. The choice is usually not a problem. I guess that my FZ/Scrambler 07 will wait one more year. I have set my eyes on the Avon Trailrider. Positive side, it will give me time to read some reviews about them.

Would be nice to have a poll about replacement tires. I wa surprised to not find a tire thread on this forum. It's been more than a year that i got my bike (june 2014) and i don't ride a lot, like i use to be. I'm just at 12 600 km (7800 miles). What do you as replacement tires?

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my original rear Pilot Road 3 after 9000 miles today. I got a great deal on a very lightly used 170/60 PR3. Based on what I read here, I thought I would try this profile and see how it affected the handling. I'm quite pleased to say it definitely helps the FZ finish turns. I've always loved the bike on entry, but found it was less good leaving them when you throttle out.

If you're up for a rear tire, consider this size instead of the stock 180/55...it makes a marked difference.

• Global Moderator

After 10k on my michelin pr3 stockers i swapped over to a stock size set of pr4-gt tires. Ive put 2k on them so far with pressures 2 psi over spec in f/r
there is almost no signs of wear on them.
The tech that performed my 12k service even made a note that i should be careful on new tires, im quite happy with the tires and i got them for the same price as the regular pr4s

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Isnt the GT designed for heavier touring bikes? What's the advantage over regular pr4s for our light bikes?

• Global Moderator

Gt is designed for touring/heavier bikes and have a stiffer casi.g and slightly harder compound in the center.
im not exactly a small guy, 6'1 @285lbs in gear. i figured this may make a slight difference compared to someone that weighs a buck 20 or around there.
ive yet to hit any country/mountain roads with them... but as i stated above, the 2k miles of commuting/city riding ive done have had little to no impact on the tread as of yet.

• Premium Member
I replaced my original rear Pilot Road 3 after 9000 miles today. I got a great deal on a very lightly used 170/60 PR3. Based on what I read here, I thought I would try this profile and see how it affected the handling. I'm quite pleased to say it definitely helps the FZ finish turns. I've always loved the bike on entry, but found it was less good leaving them when you throttle out. 
If you're up for a rear tire, consider this size instead of the stock 180/55...it makes a marked difference.

I will definitely consider this. I replaced my rear with the stock PR3. I really like the tire overall. Good handling, excellent in wet weather and long lasting.

Everything went braap.

I will definitely consider this. I replaced my rear with the stock PR3. I really like the tire overall. Good handling, excellent in wet weather and long lasting.
Yes, the PR3 has proven to be a very nice road tire.  Good grip, steady, not too harsh, and 9 k is a lot of miles for me in a rear tire.  I tend to do a lot of things that wear a tire....I don't know what I am going to do when the time comes to replace the set, because the PR3 has been replaced by the PR4, and you must choose GT or Trail type.  I am inclined to go Trail since the GT by most accounts will be rather harsh for a light bike and 200 pound rider.  We'll see. 
I rode yesterday evening with a couple of my Super Sport riding buddies.  One rides a GSXR 600 (among other bikes) and the other on a GSXR 750.  They noticed the difference and were not quite able to keep up in a few stretches.  When we stopped for dinner and a beverage afterwards, listening to CJ say, "Damn, what did you do to your ride?" was rather rewarding.

The truth is I was actually just holding my line by throttling a little sooner and with a touch more gas to stay on the outside before making the apex.  The bike really bites harder after the initial lean now, and switches over more smoothly in 'S' turns.  I hope you see similar results.

So update. I went with the PR4 and I love it!!! Well loved it... 15k miles and my new PR4 will be here today...

After 10k on my michelin pr3 stockers i swapped over to a stock size set of pr4-gt tires. Ive put 2k on them so far with pressures 2 psi over spec in f/r there is almost no signs of wear on them.
The tech that performed my 12k service even made a note that i should be careful on new tires, im quite happy with the tires and i got them for the same price as the regular pr4s

I was told to do 2 psi under the factor spec for better gripping and handling? can someone with some experiences please tell me what i should be using in my tires please. 

• Global Moderator
After 10k on my michelin pr3 stockers i swapped over to a stock size set of pr4-gt tires. Ive put 2k on them so far with pressures 2 psi over spec in f/r there is almost no signs of wear on them.

I was told to do 2 psi under the factor spec for better gripping and handling? can someone with some experiences please tell me what i should be using in my tires please. 
That is all dependant upon your riding style [span]

I went over pressure because of the harder compound in my tires, i commute so there isnt much reason for me to be doing serious knee dragging
Under pressure will certainly allow for more grip in corners by allowing more flex in the tire to achieve a wider contact patch(this is how i understand it, if im incorrect, someone smarter please correct me)[/span]

I went over pressure because of the harder compound in my tires, i commute so there isnt much reason for me to be doing serious knee dragging
Under pressure will certainly allow for more grip in corners by allowing more flex in the tire to achieve a wider contact patch(this is how i understand it, if im incorrect, someone smarter please correct me)[/span]
I would say this is pretty much true. Like you said, riding style is a factor.

Also consider: the weight of the rider, road conditions, suspension set up, and temperature. Playing with tire pressure is fine, just do it in small increments and understand that many factors go into the bike's handling.

After some trials, I keep mine at Yamaha's recommendations. Like you, I am no expert, so YMMV.

bmwpowere36m3

I'd be more inclined to think that lower pressures allows for greater tire flex = hotter tire = stickier rubber

Larger contact patches don't equal greater traction or friction. Friction is a product of normal force (perpendicular) acting on surface and coefficient of friction. Nothing to do with area.

I'd be more inclined to think that lower pressures allows for greater tire flex = hotter tire = stickier rubber

Larger contact patches don't equal greater traction or friction. Friction is a product of normal force (perpendicular) acting on surface and coefficient of friction. Nothing to do with area.
I think a Physics textbook will agree with you, but this generally doesn't play out in real life, probably due to the composition of rubber and asphalt.  

The friction between asphalt and tire can be so great that it eclipses the chemical bond between the rubber molecules.  When this happens, slip occurs regardless of how great the coefficient of friction is between tire and road (think skidmarks, burnouts, etc).  A wider tire provides more grip, even though friction is independent of area, since the extra area applies less pressure on the rubber molecules, and decreases the likelihood of them parting from each other.  

Archived