The MT-07 Forum

City Riders vs Country Riders

coleman67

I'm curious to see how many folks live and ride primarily in urban areas and how many live and ride in rural areas.  You can share any pros and cons of where you live/ride below.  I'm a country boy, myself and enjoy having an abundance of quiet backroads in my area (West Tennessee).  What I don't enjoy is having to share these backroads with all of the wildlife!  Tell us why you think your area is best for blasting around on your FZ!

• Global Moderator

It's all country riding for me. I live in a village with a population of approx. 300. In a country slightly larger in size then the US but with 11% of the population.

• Premium Member

Live in the country now.. ride into more urban areas for work. Not quite a city, but when I leave work so do about 30,000 other people and it feels like a city then.

Now a legit city city.. like Richmond (Va) kind of scares me. I haven't had the opportunity to do much real city riding so that's probably why.

I prefer more open areas with flora, fauna and nice views on the horizon

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

I ride mostly in the country and the city is only 70,000 people so it is not that busy. I would not like riding in a large city as there are just too many inattentive drivers.

I live about an hour North East of Atlanta and ride mostly in the mountains. Occasionally I'll gravitate to a bike nite or two in Atlanta but it makes me grumpy.

Country for the obvious reason:Curvy roads with less traffic.
Exactly --    One of the best times to ride in my neck of the woods is on Sunday morning before Sunday School starts !

I live and ride in a small-ish beach town but also ride in heavy tourist traffic most of the year and also travel in to the larger city's from time to time

Live in Southeast Florida, and it sucks. Not horrible traffic, mostly suburban development, but ONLY straight roads, and the drivers SUCK. These are the reasons I prefer smaller, lighter bikes, whip around town and traffic. If I lived in the country, I'd probably have something geared toward longer distances. As it is, it takes 6 hours just to get out of Florida, which makes traveling tough.

The only benefit is year-round riding, winter is the best riding season, 70-80 degrees, little rain.

I live about 20 minutes outside of Buffalo NY which has a population of 258,959 people. The second largest city in New York State. I commute about 20 miles to my University every day during the semester. I go to the University at Buffalo and that place alone has 30,000 students going to it so even there its pretty packed and there are quite a few bikers too. I am the only one with and 07 though. I like both types of riding though. Country is great for curvy roads and having fun, but the city is good for turning heads. Especially with naked bikes. ;)

Orange County is a fun little playground. Lots of idiot drivers so I usually end up cutting in between everyone and ride spiritedly just to be loud so they can hear me coming.

I do really enjoy riding back roads where there's nobody to be seen though.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I live outside the city limits in the third largest city in California (1 million + people) so it depends on which way I point those bars when I leave my house. I am comfortable riding in intense crowded traffic situations because I have decades of experience driving in heavy, unpredictable traffic (I call it war) so it doesn't faze me but when we head out for a weekend ride we go into the open countryside or over to the coast. Fortunately, where I am, it doesn't take long before you are in beautiful, open country. It does seem like the drivers are getting stupider and stupider though.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Orange County is a fun little playground. Lots of idiot drivers so I usually end up cutting in between everyone and ride spiritedly just to be loud so they can hear me coming.  
I do really enjoy riding back roads where there's nobody to be seen though.
+1 
Though my daily commute is in Los Angeles County. Finding empty back roads aren't in abundance here, but when you find one, it's definitely appreciated here! I did enjoy the 60 freeway for about a mile when a motocop had to stop traffic (probably to move a stalled vehicle out the way). Once he gave the signal to go, it was just me and him alone! Those are definitely rare, and my go pro had to die before I could capture it. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I'm in West Los Angeles. I'm a new rider too. I'm not suicidal. Cars actively try to kill me on a regular basis even though I don't ride during rush hour as a rule. Traffic dies down in the late night-early morning hours and the city is a fun place to ride at those times. I can be in the Malibu canyons within 20 minutes and this is, by far, my favorite place to ride. The scenery, elevation changes and corners make this a terrific place to enjoy the bike.

Archived