The MT-07 Forum

Waddayaall think about me upgrading from a Ninja 500?

mike

Howdy All!
I'm a long time rider searching for the right ride for myself, and I think it's the FZ07.
I have owned a lot of bikes starting with a Yamaha 80 from the 70s.  Then a Honda 350 from the early 80s.
Most recently I owned a 3rd Gen Honda Magna 750, and a Suzuki Wee Strom 650.  Both great bikes.
I got out of motorcycling for a few years and then had an urge to get back into it, so I bought a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500R a couple of years ago.
It is a fantastic all around bike, with the exception of long distance.  I loved my Wee Strom the most for that, but Wee Strom was both - way more expensive, and a little heavier than I consider ideal (I only weigh 145).  That's why I like my little Kawi 500, it's cheap, light, and a great commuter bike.  But, to make a long story even more boring and tedious,   I really want a a new bike.  Maybe a little more power, with a little more long distance capability,  and I think the FZ07 fits the bill for my next bike (and is why I joined this forum).  I haven't bought yet, and if any of you are from Utah and know of best deals or from anywhere and have some good advice, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks in advance!
-Mike

• Global Moderator

Hey @mike, welcome. Thanks for joining our forum. What I think about me upgrading from a Kawi? Well, I would say, go for it. Probably everybody here would agree with me. Best bike I ever owned.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome mike! Not sure what you consider long distance but a few here have complained that the seat is not too comfy after an hour or so. That can be upgraded, I'm sure. If you test ride one, you're sure to fall under the spell of the FZ07. Then resistance is futile; you will be assimilated!  8-)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Seems like your needs have changed and the FZ would be suitable for what you're looking for now! Hope you get to check it out yourself and can join us!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I don't think my needs have changed much, it's just that I've become more attuned to what might fit them. :)

The FZ07 and FZ09 appeal to me, and I thing the 09 might actually be better for distance duty, but I think the power is a little bit of overkill for my needs (then again, I could probably be swayed - if the 07 had some glaring flaws).

I don't think my needs have changed much, it's just that I've become more attuned to what might fit them. :) 
The FZ07 and FZ09 appeal to me, and I thing the 09 might actually be better for distance duty, but I think the power is a little bit of overkill for my needs (then again, I could probably be swayed - if the 07 had some glaring flaws).

Hey Mike, call me biased but for distance there is no comparison between the 07 and the 09. The 07 has better gas mileage meaning the range is better. I ride about 110-120 miles daily. For power, I've said " I need more power" while on the bike. This little bike on steroids has plenty of torque . I have to be careful when I am riding on the streets because it will sit me back real quick!!! again this is only my opinion.

Howdy Mike,

Like most on here I am biased as well. I ride my Fz-07 everywhere; on erreands, weekends, and have out 200mi on a day ride once. I am on the short side, but weigh more than most(that's another story) but the FZ-07 does everything I need it to do.
I also know there are a couple of people that have taken long rides on this bike

below is the link to a members 2500+mi ride:

http://fz07.org/thread/731/fz07-2662-mile-distance-review

Archived