The MT-07 Forum

Who here has traded up from a Honda Grom?

cruzsavannah

cruzsavannah

Hi All,

I am a new member as well as a new FZ 07 owner. I had not been on a bike in 12 years as of this past Aug of 2014. I rushed out and bought the last Honda GROM my local dealer had in the show room. I loved it right away but, then the romance died. It is a great bike and I highly recommend it for a beginner . I was just wondering who else may have rushed into a smaller cc bike before straddling this torque monster (FZ 07)...I still have the GROM. I am hoping to teach my wife how to ride. 8-)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome cruzsavannah! I was completely green when I took the msf course so I bought a used Honda Rebel as my first bike to build my confidence and skills up. I didn't feel like I rushed into it. I rode it for six months before getting my Shadow and sold it last summer after buying my 07. (I still miss that little thing!) Small bikes can be a ton of fun! I'm glad I started small because I would probably be dead or a paraplegic if I started with an FZ.

I hope your wife enjoys riding it. Couples that ride together, stay together! I do suggest she take the msf course and not learn from you though.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

Glad you joined our forum @cruzsavannah. A GROM is great for what it is. I have owned many bikes too (big and small) and upgraded from a WR250X. That was the smallest ever and I loved the nimbleness and lack of weight. But it was too limited. Like @effzee07 says, the FZ07 hits the sweet spot.

I, too, have a Grom and the FZ-07.... Love it for what it is..... I upgraded from a Ninja 300..... but am itching to get another ninja 300 again...... the FZ is the perfect balance from somebody coming from a smaller displacement bike..... so much torque and pretty comfy on longer rides..... Cheers....

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

1471173edea15e22cff5d3164457c2b8.jpg

I too have both. The Grom for commuting to/from work and general fooling around in lots and stuff. The FZ-07 for when I need to keep up with friends on bigger bikes on freeways and such. Love them both but I must say the Grom still gets more seat time.

Archived