The MT-07 Forum

The FJ-09 is a freaking hit!

Cruizin

And of course, I have started a nice little forum FJ-09.org The FJ-09 Forums

Not a threat or comparison to the FZ-07, because they are two very different bikes.

But, I am already wanting to sell my FZ-09 for one. It has the power, but better suspension, ABS, Traction Control, heated grips, and a windscreen that works well but not too big.

It's light. A sport touring bike that can eat mega miles, but is light enough to pick up if dropped and easy to maneuver.

If you are thinking of a second bike for longer trips, come check out an FJ-09. MSRP $10,500 but some people are getting them for under $10,000.

• Global Moderator

I am looking forward to seeing one at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show later this month. If I wanted a sport-tourer this would be the one. Fortunately my FZ-07 is exactly what I want in a bike.

• Premium Member

Im afraid to go check it out at our local dealer, because i will probably want to bring one home! I dont think two bikes will fly at the momemt

I'm definitely getting one for May(doesn't arrive here to Turkey before that time). I've even bought the Akrapovic exhaust for the fz-09 (which fits perfectly to FJ-09 as well) before I own the FZ-09!

• Premium Member

I'd like them to make the FZ-07 into something like this the 58 mpg is the only reason I say this

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 2 weeks later...

I always loved semi-faired bikes. For me, the FJ-09 is a better bike than the FZ-09. It has a real seat. :D
Would i buy it? No. And it's not because the FZ-07 is the greatest bike i have owned. Because, it's not. If Yamaha brings a crossover (something like the latest Kawasaki Versys 650 or a slimmer V-Strom 650), it would be very hard to resist.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

I rode one today and man did they ever improve on everything the FZ-09 was lacking. Beautiful....just beautiful. I recently posted in thread "what did you do to your bike today" comments. Wanna see a beast though, check this out:  

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

There was no doubt it was coming. That they've improved on all the things that people weren't happy with as well as given it a lot of nice extra stuff (2 power outlets! ) is a statement that Yamaha isn't kidding. Had I waited another year, I'd likely be w/o the Futura/07 combo and would have one bike, the FJ.

That said, I still love this little 07 and wouldn't trade it for the new FJ. Hopefully, the FZ09's value doesn't take a real dump as people trade up to the FJ. I experienced that with a K1100RS when BMW brought out the K1200RS. My 11 suddenly was worth near half as much.

Maybe time to buy Yamaha stock, lol.

• Global Moderator

Yes, Yamaha is on a roll lately. I have always been a fan of the brand but I couldn't not be loyal a decade ago. They used to offer ugly overpriced machines that did not appeal to me. Now I feel the urge to own every model they introduce.

• Premium Member

They HAVE been on a roll lately. I saw the FJ the other night, and had a serious urge to buy it. Now that the new R1 has been revamped, I hope they give some attention to the R6. I think the R6 is one of the best looking supersports 600 on sale today, but sadly it hasn't been really updated in quite some time and it has been eclipsed in terms of performance...

After I get my FZ-07 in order, I told myself I may buy a literbike in 2016. Always wanted one, and after riding the BMW S100RR for the California Superbike School, I'm hooked. That new R1 may just make it's way into my garage in 2016 :)

- Paulie

They HAVE been on a roll lately. I saw the FJ the other night, and had a serious urge to buy it. Now that the new R1 has been revamped, I hope they give some attention to the R6. I think the R6 is one of the best looking supersports 600 on sale today, but sadly it hasn't been really updated in quite some time and it has been eclipsed in terms of performance... 
After I get my FZ-07 in order, I told myself I may buy a literbike in 2016. Always wanted one, and after riding the BMW S100RR for the California Superbike School, I'm hooked. That new R1 may just make it's way into my garage in 2016 :)

- Paulie
Oh my, that new R1 is just stunning. Meh, to the beemer's styling - there's none.  Can't wait to read actual ride reports. But after owning BMWs from 1976 thru 2003 I'll not own another, so that would be a an easy choice for me betwixxed the 2. I'm no partial to inline 4s anyway -  that's another story. But before you pull that trigger, try to have a ride on an RSV4 or maybe the new 1100 Touno (nearly the performance with a less brutal ride position)! The sounds those V4s make are just intoxication. 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I'd buy an FZ-1 before I bought a new R-1 and that's only because it's the same engine, brakes and suspension, little different seating position for much much less money.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I'd buy an FZ-1 before I bought a new R-1 and that's only because it's the same engine, brakes and suspension, little different seating position for much much less money.
The current FZ-1 has an engine based on the 2004-2006 YZF-R1.Different design without the crossplane crankshaft. 

• Premium Member
Oh my, that new R1 is just stunning. Meh, to the beemer's styling - there's none.  Can't wait to read actual ride reports. But after owning BMWs from 1976 thru 2003 I'll not own another, so that would be a an easy choice for me betwixxed the 2. I'm no partial to inline 4s anyway -  that's another story. But before you pull that trigger, try to have a ride on an RSV4 or maybe the new 1100 Touno (nearly the performance with a less brutal ride position)! The sounds those V4s make are just intoxication. 

I agree Rick on the styling of the BMW - doesn't really do it for me. Its performance though, is outrageous. Those Aprilia's though sure look nice too. Can't wait until they are all out and tested. I'm sure the new R1 will compete on a similar level.

I really like the Ducati 899 Panigale too, especially for the styling and the electronics..but I hear it's not as fast as you'd think it would be. Plus, I'm not a fan of roasting my legs on it's exhaust as they emit a lot of heat and I live in Vegas :)

I like the KTM Super Duke a lot, but I already have a naked, and I absolutely love my FZ-07. IF I'm gonna go big power, it'll be a supersports.

It's an exiting time or motorcycling for sure. KTM has some new stuff up its sleeve in the form of some new twin cylinder bikes....just need to see what frame they stuff them in. A new middle weight Duke liek the 690? A new supersport? Who knows.

But as far as liter bikes go, the new R1 seems like it'll be a big hit. I think Yamaha has made some dramatic advances in their electronics with this bike, and that goes a log way into making a 200hp bike even remotely ridable for the average Joe.

The electronics in the BMW and Aprilia are supposed to be awesome as well, but those two brands, and their dealership network, are few and far between. There is one of each here in Vegas. There are 4 Yamaha dealers :)

Even if it were the same engine for 2015 (which it's not), it's a totally different bike. The 2014 BMW S1000RR and S1000R do actually have the same engine, but they are tuned completely differently and so are their electronics. I've ridden both, and they are completely different motorycles, so you can't really go by that. To give you an example, the RR version makes 160hp in RAIN mode. The R tops out at 160 HP period.

:)

- Paulie

Have a good friend with a 2009, 690 Duke that's been bumped a bit up in HP. He's just itching to ride the FZ. And I do mean itching. He has a seat on it every time he's over. He rides the Duke most often of his 3 bikes - one of which is a Zrex 1200 that's been heavily modded and makes serious power. Should be an interesting comparison.

Dealers for Aprilia are few and far between, that's for sure. And I'd not let the only dealer nearest to me touch mine. But as long as yer not getting involved in big warranty work, parts availability can be had online from Af1 in Texas in a manner of days. And that Aprilia forum is about as knowledgable as it comes.

This new R1 is gonna be seriously fast, competitive, and just plain nice to look at. Once ya get up into the 180 rear wheel hp range on a 430 lb bike, the choices become a bit easy - which one fits ya best, which one pleases your eyes and ears, and which stirs your soul. Let's face it, they'll all be just a bit frightening with the electronics turned off and in full race mode. Having a competent dealer who cares about his customers, well, that would be icing on a very hard to find cake.

My FZ07 is somewhat of a FJ09 now with the tall Puig and soft bags. I just imagine a FJ09 with the power switch set to rain mode, and think about the $3000 less sticker on the twin. Too bad the $1.83/gal for reg blew up the MPG meme. I'm not complaining. Is 200hp really needed to "stir your soul"?

Is 200hp really needed to "stir your soul"?
 200hp under my ass (my Subaru Outback has 175, lol)  would mean a trip to Target for a new supply of undies!  ;)

The local dealer (DHY in Deptford NJ) has sold one while a red FJ09 is on the floor. Impressions: very wide handlebars, bulky tank and upper fairing with strange channeling from the headlight back to the knee cutout, windscreen was far forward and fixed in place. I'd expect severe buffeting because it is too far from the rider. The grab rails on the seat are a positive. The seat is more padded than my FZ07 but not plush enough for touring. Add $1,000 for the hard bags and heated grips.
Speed is limited to 115mph as described by the salesman who demoed the bike at Sugo. He said it was as though the tank ran dry!

Stock top speed on my 2014 FZ-09 was 132 MPH, until I had it flashed. I won't say here what it does now but it screams after flash, dialed in EJK fuel controller and M-4 exhaust. It's a handful trying to keep the front down while pulling 10.68 at Firebird drag strip outside Boise.

Buffeting, on a naked bike? Ahh, yeah that "might happen" ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

That R1 looks amazing, but for an all arounder that can do touring duty, and commute, the FJ-09 is in a spot by itself!
Well done Yamaha! (but, I still love my 07).

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest whitegas

I saw a red and black one today at the dealership. I didn't like the way they look in pictures, but was pleasantly surprised to see they look very nice in person.

• Premium Member

I sew one at my local dealer today too. Not my cup of tea but a col bike non the less.

I saw a red and black one today at the dealership. I didn't like the way they look in pictures, but was pleasantly surprised to see they look very nice in person.
I've experienced that enough to now never say it's ugly until it's seen in person.  
The little FZ looked good to me in picts and what a pleasant surprise that it looked that much better in person. 

Archived