The MT-07 Forum

PRELOAD FRONT FORK SPRING ADJUSTER KIT - ebay: SSR

schalicke

• Premium Member

I discovered these on ebay today and just thought I would share. I am no suspension guru so some input would be nice. What do you all think? They may be great for the average weight (125lb - 225lb) Commuter/Canyon Cruiser. I am sure if you are a track enthusiast you will want something much more involved.

Input Please.. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-FZ-07-FZ07-FZ7-CNC-BILLET-PRELOAD-FRONT-FORK-SPRING-ADJUSTER-ADJUSTOR-KIT-/231440902372?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e2f3e8e4&vxp=mtr 

• Like 5

rubberbandman72

These would probably help reduce some of the front suspension sag our bikes tend to have. Not a solution for a lackluster fork but might satify riders who don't want to spend a bunch on new fork internals. Also,the less expensive ones appear to be nearly identical to the more expensive ones. I think I'll try the cheaper ones and see what happens. I'm waiting to see what kind of stuff the suspension gurus come up with for our bikes before I spend a chunk on suspension upgrades.

Does anyone know if the ones at the EBAY sight are the correct size (41mm) and thread pitch? I could not see any demensions or specs. Just that they were for an XT500.

Does anyone know if the ones at the EBAY sight are the correct size (41mm) and thread pitch? I could not see any demensions or specs. Just that they were for an XT500.
Yes, I purchased a set on eBay and they worked perfectly
  • Like 2

Yes, I purchased a set on eBay and they worked perfectly
Did you notice a difference? 

I've got a pdf file with easy directions for setting sag if you're interested.
Just drop me an email.
jkraft@witchkraftracing.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have modded the fork caps on a few bikes to add schrader valves to them for adding air to forks for preload, air works pretty well,  I have not seen what the stock oem fork cap look like.

I have rebuilt several front bike suspensions adding air ride to race tech parts in my forks w/ gold emulators which is a cartridge emulator type front fork. I have also just modded the front forks for a better suspension.

Also built a few front forks with progressive springs.

and played with different fork fluids like fork oils, and Syn. ATF or synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, in place of Fork Oil

You definitely want the threads for the new caps to match that of the bikes fork tubes.

I would be VERY Leary of Chinese anything on my bike, those fork caps let loose, because the alum. was inferior, you know like all Chinese products, (But with 6 i get eggroll) and you'll be riding on pavement real quick.

• Like 3

I have rebuilt several front bike suspensions adding air ride to to race tech w/ gold emulators which is a cartridge emulator type front fork. I have also just modded the front forks for a better suspension.

Holy shet @westgl Are you a racer or suspension shop owner? Color me impressed

No I currently have several bikes.

I like bikes, I had 13 bikes at one time a few years ago.

But I have since thinned the herd down to 8 bikes for now.

I do have a insulated and heated 3200sq ft shop, and a lot of tools.

I really like working on bikes, and have done some customizing

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The SV650 Gen1 (99-02) uses the same fork caps as the FZ07 (38x1mm thread). But to get preload you have to find the 02 fork caps. I have a ton of 04+ (37x1) which obviously doesn't help anyone but just putting it out there as a possible option. I can't believe Yamaha was so damn cheap they couldn't be bothered to spec for pre-load adjustable fork caps. Just unforgivable.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would be getting the correct rate springs first. Then these, then damping unless they are cartridge dampers come with their own CORRECT rate springs.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

then damping unless they are cartridge dampers come with their own CORRECT rate springs.
Traxxion's AK-20 kit includes the right springs per their lookup table. Matris' ships their solution with springs to match, as well. I think the other Italian (Adriani?) does too. I guess I'm the only one who has it broken out as a separate line item simply because half the time the people who come see me have already changed them out.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question regarding content in this one.

Someone posted an eBay link to 41mm fork caps as an option for our bikes, and another user says the caps are 38x1mm thread.

Is this the same thing (i.e. the forks are 41mm and the caps are 38mm) or is this conflicting information, and if so which is correct?

• Premium Member
speedingtickets

I did this mod. They look cool but if you are under 200lbs you don't need it. I keep it at it's lowest setting, just enough to prevent some nose dive. It is just preload, so unable to make other adjustments, it can make your ride feel stiff with a single turn. I used an adjustable wrench and a washcloth to screw these on without scratching. Back the adjuster all the way up too or you won't get it on. I used a Pit Bull tree lift, front and rear, it is expensive! I might get the R1M next year, it has an electronic suspension. 

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question regarding content in this one. 
Someone posted an eBay link to 41mm fork caps as an option for our bikes, and another user says the caps are 38x1mm thread.

Is this the same thing (i.e. the forks are 41mm and the caps are 38mm) or is this conflicting information, and if so which is correct?

The thread isn't *that* old.... 
The diameter of the tube is 41mm. There are 2 primary permutations: 37x1mm thread and 38x1mm thread. The SV650 Gen2 (03+ use 37mm), the FZ07, 06+ EX650, and SV650 Gen1 (99-02) use the latter.
  • Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg