The MT-07 Forum

Lighting / turn signals

blackhillsfz07

blackhillsfz07

Hey there i am Kevin. i am trying to make my bike look as sleek as i can so i was wondering if anyone has tried using flexible led strips as turn signals. and if you have where did you put them 

leftledturn.jpg

I found a couple of posts relating to this.

And I cannot for the life of find a specific one I know I saw somewhere here on this forum, but the basic principal was to put a bunch of amber LED strips where the blue mesh is in this picture and they flash instead of traditional turn signals:
8eRotW5l.jpg
I really wish I could find the post with the video because it does a far better job at showing what I mean but you can still get the jist from this. I hope this helps!
Allan

This is what I did. Was very easy to do.photo1_zps3ac153cf.jpg[video src=http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/ztfrosty/Video_zps1a8a6a16.mp4]

Flashes a little fast but I think it gets more attention that way.

• Global Moderator

If you want to slow the flash rate to stock it is cheap and easy to replace the flasher relay with an electronic one. It is behind the left tank panel just forward of a thing with cooling fins on it.

@mjh937 Yeah i know but i just keep going back and forth on it. It seems like the faster flash would be safer, and lord knows I need it the way people drive around here.

• Global Moderator
@mjh937 Yeah i know but i just keep going back and forth on it. It seems like the faster flash would be safer, and lord knows I need it the way people drive around here.
I was not suggesting that you do it, but I wanted people who were considering an LED turn upgrade to know it is easy to keep the slower flash rate if they want to. I was torn about which way to go but decided to change the flasher and go with the slower flash. 

• Global Moderator

Mine is back to stock speed, or at least close enough that I cannot tell the difference. I did not think to time them :).

And the way its set up you can see the leds from the back and the side fairly easy.
Yours isn't quite the video that I was talking about, but that is pretty much what I was talking about. I think I am going to do this option actually. Do you have load resistors to get rid of hyper flash?

Mine is back to stock speed, or at least close enough that I cannot tell the difference. I did not think to time them :).
Do you have a link to the new relay? Thanks.

• Global Moderator

I used this one. Custom LED. If I was doing it again though I think I would remove the stock unit and take it to NAPA. I think many electronic flasher relays are similar enough that they probably have one that will work for less money. 

I used this one. Custom LED. If I was doing it again though I think I would remove the stock unit and take it to NAPA. I think many electronic flasher relays are similar enough that they probably have one that will work for less money. 
Ok. Thanks. So you just plug this into where the old one was and it works? Does this also mean both front and rear need to be LED? 

• Global Moderator

It plugs in to where the stock unit was. I used Velcro to secure it as the stock unit has a slot that fits on a prong on the bike (it will make sense when you see it). The electronic unit works fine with either stock or LED signals. I tested it with the stock ones before I changed the signals and it worked fine.

It plugs in to where the stock unit was. I used Velcro to secure it as the stock unit has a slot that fits on a prong on the bike (it will make sense when you see it). The electronic unit works fine with either stock or LED signals. I tested it with the stock ones before I changed the signals and it worked fine.
Ok. Thanks a lot!

I know the video you're talking about @panzer716. The whole fake vent thing was full of leds. Looked for it and no luck.

I know the video you're talking about @panzer716. The whole fake vent thing was full of leds. Looked for it and no luck.
Exactly. I have no idea where it went but I know I saw it on here..

This is why i keep asking people to hastag posts, it would be easy to search for.

This is why i keep asking people to hastag posts, it would be easy to search for. 

I thought you only wanted us to do that with important posts. Would that have been important enough to do that with?

• Global Moderator

Hashtag them all. It makes it searchable. Something that you think is not that important might be something someone else wants to find. It does not hurt to over-hashtag.

• Premium Member

It's a good call to place them on the vents opposed to the tail… depending on your state laws.

Here in CA, turn signals must be a minimum of 9" away from each other.

That's why I haven't done something like integrated tail light signals. Cops love me.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Hashtag them all. It makes it searchable. Something that you think is not that important might be something someone else wants to find. It does not hurt to over-hashtag.
I don't do Facebook or Twitter. Can someone please give me step-by-step directions on how to "hashtag" something, then perhaps follow up with an example or two? TIA 

# <- thats a hashtag. I called it a pound sign growing up, but whatever. Anyway, [HASH]example1. It has to be a '#' followed by whatever the topic or important info is, and it cant have spaces in it. So "this is just and example" would be [HASH]thisisjustanexample. Hope that does it for you @zephyr07

See how it turns it into a link? Its the same thing when you tag someone in a post, with is "@" followed by the user name, again with no spaces.

Archived