The MT-07 Forum

Crap. New bike needs new tire!

effzee07

• Premium Member

Well if anyone watches my vlogs you know I've been having issues with my rear tire holding air, almost since it was brand new. I noticed it like my second ride. Well after installing my tail tidy, I seen the culprit. A nail is just right of center and leaking air bad. Do I buy a new one? Any recommendations or advice? Can you patch a bike tire?

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• Global Moderator

This thread has a good discussion on plugging versus replacing a tire. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. 

• Premium Member

I have a pair of near new BT-023's I can sell if your interested. They are taking up space in my garage :)

PM me if you'd like them...

- Paulie

Well, if yer gonna plug a tire, better it be the rear than the front. I carry a 12V pump + plug kits pretty much always and will attempt to plug a tire to get home from somewhere (at a moderate pace). But I'd rather not have the possibility of a failure in the back of my head while needing to pay more attention to the road and world about me. That said, there are lots of guys who will say they've done it and worn those tires to the nubs. And maybe they're right. For me, it's just not worth it. 

In yer shoes, if the price is right (and I suspect it will be) I'd take Paulie's offer.

• Premium Member

I saw the vlog and I would plug it if it was me, put in a Vulcanizing plug. I'd even put in the plugs you can get at the auto parts stores for where your puncture is. I've put in tons of plugs in tons of tires and never had a problem except for where the hole was as big as my finger. Keep us posted I think a new tires is a waste at least fix the old one if you get a new and keep as a spare.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

TwistedTorque

I had to plug my rear tire at 500 miles. I'm almost at 3000 now and she runs just fine. If it were on the edge of the tire I might have just replaced it but it was right off the center.

• Premium Member

If you are going to throw the tire away throw it my way I'll pay for the shipping

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

i plugged mines at 1100 miles, got 2200 on it now with no issues. i keep the rest of the plug kit under the seat just in case . but no issues at all plug it .

Archived