The MT-07 Forum

Rider Weight

jake

• Premium Member

I'm over 200 lbs so I thought this would be an interesting poll. I also would like to get the opinion of some of the bigger guys on your take of the FZ-07 and if you plan on an upgrade to the suspension right away or is it fine the way it is.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

This is my first bike so I do not really know what a suspension is supposed to feel like. That being said after reading this forum and other website this is on my to do sooner rather than later list. I have went around so not so smooth curves and feel the rear tire skipping. Or at least that is what I think I am feeling after reading everything.

230 lbs
already did the fork with Traxxion drop in kit
fork was very soft and rear has to be on max preload
I will do the rear shock at a later time
have not ridden it with the new fork guts
it started snowing the day I did it
I feel like the rear bounces a lot and the front white straight up seemed ok just didn't corner like I thought it should
it seems to me to push or dive while in a corner and just didn't feel like it should
I felt better throwing a 600lb bmw scooter into a corner then the 7
that was the only downfall really that I could find

I'm 235lbs and I really want to upgrade my front and rear, but I'm going to do them at the same time. It's better to have the bike to soft then have it unbalanced in my opinion. I use my bike mainly as a commuter so not in a big rush.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

I am 205, so hopefully I will be able to drop down in to the 150-200 range soon. It will not be until after the holiday eating season though. I have been happy with the suspension so far, but do not have enough recent experience to know the difference. Upgrading the suspension is definitely on my to do list, but not for a year or two while I build my skill.

I am over 200 with all my gear on, but under 200 with my gear off. I only ride with my gear though so I voted over 200. Anyways, I do want to upgrade the suspension but I'm not in a huge rush to do it. As RotaryRyan said though, I would do them both at once because I would want the bike to be balanced when I'm riding. A full suspension upgrade would be, for me anyways, over $2,000, and I don't have that kind of cash and probably won't for some time. So I'm fine with waiting on that. The suspension isn't horribly awful, it just isn't the best and could use improvement IMO. I can live with it for now.

This is my first bike so I do not really know what a suspension is supposed to feel like. That being said after reading this forum and other website this is on my to do sooner rather than later list. I have went around so not so smooth curves and feel the rear tire skipping. Or at least that is what I think I am feeling after reading everything.
I'm in the same boat, this is my first bike so I have nothing to compare too. After 1300km I think it is to soft though, next spring I will turn up the rear spring and see if that makes a difference and go from there. 210lbs before gear FYI

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

256lbs with gear, but I have lost ten pounds in the last two weeks and am aiming for 210 by May.

I have an FZ-09 but our suspensions are pretty darn close, and my FZ-09 suspension sucks. I have it pretty close to max and it is a pogo stick. It really is dangerous when you are leaning into a corner and the suspension decides to start pogo-ing, it makes you shoot left or right while leaning.

So, I hold back when in corners. On the Fz-09, not sure if I am gonna sink money into the suspension or sell it and get an FJ-09.

I will get an FZ-07, but am waiting for the track that is in development here in Boise to get built. Then I will get an FZ-07 and it may never even see the street as I will build it into the ultimate track bike. I think the FZ-07 could be the very best track bike option out there with the engine, light weight and low price.

Suspension will be replaced before anything.

Guest August BB
130 without gear....
I got you beat rolltide, without gear, with a shirt and shorts, and 2 hours after dinner, I clock in at a whopping 115-117.   

• Premium Member
130 without gear....
I got you beat rolltide, without gear, with a shirt and shorts, and 2 hours after dinner, I clock in at a whopping 115-117. 
I was 115 when I was 10 lol I could loose your body weight and still weigh more than you guys........  do they make a FZ-07 for plus size people better suspension and more HP you know just to make it even with the light weights (rofl) 

Had over 60 bikes and been riding for over 40 years 200lb + gear
rear shock on 7 it will do for now but the rear is very under damped
so you get that pogo effect if pushed to hard on rough roads, cant say
the front bothers me but if I ever get round to a upgrade on the rear
it will then likely show up in the front, the 07 is good at what it does
for the price you can soon end up spending so much in bits you would
have been better buying a more expensive bike in the first place.

• Premium Member
Had over 60 bikes and been riding for over 40 years 200lb + gear rear shock on 7 it will do for now but the rear is very under damped
so you get that pogo effect if pushed to hard on rough roads, cant say
the front bothers me but if I ever get round to a upgrade on the rear
it will then likely show up in the front, the 07 is good at what it does
for the price you can soon end up spending so much in bits you would
have been better buying a more expensive bike in the first place.
Yeah exactly that is the gorilla in the room.  

I like having a budget suspension, why pay for something you are going to replace, unless they have an R version, with REAL Ohlins bits or the like. The stock suspension is fine for commuting or general street riding, just get it sprung for your weight.

One thing to keep in mind is when you increase the preload, you are effectively lowering the rebound damping. Just set the sag, don't crank it up more thinking it'll be more sporty.

Archived