The MT-07 Forum

Do I need to remove the fork's bottom bolt to replace fork seals?

navid

I am following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_s-57eS5Lw&pp=ygUOZnowNyBmb3JrIHNlYWw%3D to replace my fork seals. I really can't get the bottom bolt off. I loosened it and it's just spinning the damper rod.

Is it necessary to completely remove the bottom bolt to get the inner tube out? In the video, it's unclear as they loosen the bolt, but I don't think they remove it. If I do have to remove it, I'll try the wooden stick/PVC pipe method. Any advice on the diameter/length of pipe to use?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Yes, it is 100% necessary. I've had success with a wood broom handle, and a 1/4" impact driver on multiple bikes. Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

Yes, it is 100% necessary. I've had success with a wood broom handle, and a 1/4" impact driver on multiple bikes. Good luck-

I see, thank you. Is the wooden dowel going into the damper rod or it is just grazing against the top of the damper?

• Premium Member

The rounded end of the broom handle will recess into the cupped end of the damper rod, and give just enough "bite" the allow you to knock the bolt free with an impact driver-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

This is the open side of the damper rod where you insert your stick / pipe / whatever to block it.
The official Yamaha tool looks like the black thing on the right side, but my general tool wasn't working.

image.png.55d1c84953a4b9f1aab244c8d814392a.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

This is the open side of the damper rod where you insert your stick / pipe / whatever to block it.
The official Yamaha tool looks like the black thing on the right side, but my general tool wasn't working.

image.png.55d1c84953a4b9f1aab244c8d814392a.png

Thank you. I hammered a 3/4" wooden dowel into the damper. Then drilled a T handle on the other end. And couple seconds with the impact driver did the rest. Was a bit tricky to remove the wooden dowel haha.

That bottom bolt is an absolute b**tch!

Having gone through this exercise (to swap in Traxxion kit), I now know that the easiest way to do it is to not remove the top caps 1st.. keep them in place to have a bit of compression on the damper rod and immediately use an impact wrench (do not try to undo the bolt with a regular wrench). 

And there's zero need to have a dedicated seal driver. Wrap electrical tape around the fork stanchion (you need quite a bit.. build up about a 1/4" thick loop) and use that as a slide hammer.. works like a charm! You can youtube this technique too.