The MT-07 Forum

MT07 hard to pull clutch

Brujan

Hello! I own a 21' mt07 with 32k km. I compared it with my friend's new '07 and my clutch is way harder to pull (I thought the clutch cable is the issue, replaced it but nothing changed. Also the clutch cable is routed correctly. The pull itself is smooth, it's not "laggy", it is just hard to pull. 1 finger is not enough to pull it). I'm not having any problem with it at all, it's not slipping etc. What part/parts can cause this? Will a brand new clutch kit solve this? In my opinion it must be something wrong with the pull lever shaft or the pressure plate. Any idea will be much appreciated! Thanks.

Triple Jim

Does the lever on the engine end of the cable make about a 90° angle to the clutch cable?

sweetscience

Did your buddy install a slipper clutch?

In practicality for most folks, a 1 finger clutch pull on the MT is uncommon, albeit difficult and feels weird. Is the bike new to you, or have you owned it for 32k?  Try lubing the clutch lever pivot pin and spray cable lube down the clutch cable.  If that don't help, you'll want to inspect the clutch pack, pull rod, pivot arm, etc.  But, as you say it's mechanically sound and adjusted properly, you may have to deal with it by A. Increase your grip strength through exercise.  B.  Install a slipper clutch (from an R7 or aftermarket),  which has a much softer lever tension.  C.  Use more than 1 finger.

• Like 1

ElGonzales

D.  install a Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch system. It's not cheap but the clutch operation is much easier. Like power assisted steering, you don't need it but it's nice to have :D

But check what Triple Jim wrote, the transmission of force is best at a 90° angle.

You can try to rotate the lower clutch lever at the engine with an open ended spanner and compare the force you need to your friends machine. You may be able to rule out the clutch cable and upper clutch lever in this way.

• Like 1