The MT-07 Forum

Stripped front sprocket cover holes

Mason778

Mason778

Hey yall. New to this forum.

couple weeks ago while replacing my crankcase, i stripped(mildly it seems) a 2/3 of the front sprocket cover holes.

ive been helplessly trying to figure out what the exact dimensions are but im a bit mechanically naive. My calipers show the bolt to be 5.85mm in diameter, thats not an m6 is it? Im hoping ill be able to chase the threads back with the right tap in attempt to correct the threads.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

M. Hausknecht

"Chasing" the threads in aluminum with a tap, after they've been unduly stressed, rarely works. You can try it, and use Locktite on the threads and hope it holds, but I wouldn't. Aluminum is just too soft. If you want to continue to use the cover (I've removed mine on my 07 race bike), you need the proper size heli-coil kit (there are other brands of threaded inserts as well). I think the thread is 6mm x 1.00. And if you're not using a torque wrench, you need one because stripping threads really sux.

• Like 3

Mason778
2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

"Chasing" the threads in aluminum with a tap, after they've been unduly stressed, rarely works. You can try it, and use Locktite on the threads and hope it holds, but I wouldn't. Aluminum is just too soft. If you want to continue to use the cover (I've removed mine on my 07 race bike), you need the proper size heli-coil kit (there are other brands of threaded inserts as well). I think the thread is 6mm x 1.00. And if you're not using a torque wrench, you need one because stripping threads really sux.

Thanks!

ill see if i like the looks of it without, if not ill check out the heli coils!

M. Hausknecht
16 minutes ago, Mason778 said:

Thanks!

ill see if i like the looks of it without, if not ill check out the heli coils!

You still want to mount the rubber surround, even without the cover.