The MT-07 Forum

SC-Project vs Akra

logank

logank

Im contenplating either the Akra Ti or the SC-Project CR-T, unfortunately I haven't been able to hear either in person so I can't understand how loud they truly are. does anyone have any recommendations or advice. (im 18 all my friends ride 2-1 built dynas that they stunt so loud is normal) but im curious about how loud the CR-T really is.

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

I had the Akra Ti for years on my track bike and loved it. No baffle it was kinda loud but had such a good deep bass tone. The sound was one of the best parts of riding the bike for me. Also the underbelly muffler design kept the exhaust tip nested under the swing arm which made it less vulnerable to damage in a crash. The only reason I changed it was because the underbelly design of the muffler interfered with the rear tire once I modified my suspension. I have a K-Tech rear shock with the Robem rear linkage, this increases swing-arm angle and moves the tire closer to the muffler. I also run a 180/60 which is taller and made clearances even tighter. I would need to run my rear axle at the back of the swing arm, so this did not allow enough travel to run different gear ratios for different tracks. 

So after heavy research I went with the Project CR-T. It was close to the Akra in that the muffler is small (too small to be effective) and it tucks tightly to the swing arm. 

The Project SC in stupid loud. I can tolerate it on the track (I also wear earplugs) but i think it would be too loud on the street. The Project SC is also a few pounds lighter than the Akra Ti, but both are lighter than the stock muffler. 

I would pick the Akra Ti over the Project SC CR-t if it is a street bike and clearance issues like I described are not an issue for you. 

I am keeping the Akra Ti in case I ever get another FZ or change it back to a street bike, I love that exhaust so much, I wont consider selling it. 

Last point, the build quality of both pipes is excellent. You will not be disappointed with either. 

The first 2 pictures show the Akra Ti Fit

EVFZ4.jpg.755a7d6926ca790c00e76e963a293972.jpgIMG-9915.jpg.79122f2f7932abb1f7acb3e6debc8e04.jpg

These show the Project SC CR-T fit

SC.jpg.6d2da6bb7235273cbf836689d6859a53.jpgSC2.jpg.05492bf1367ca6f9e8445ed787845d90.jpg

Hope this info helps.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

Here is a clip from a few years ago of the Akra Ti without baffle. 

I love this sound.

Ed

This is with the Project SC CR-T

They sound similar in the videos, the Akra is a little deeper sounding. In person the Project SC is much louder. 

Ed 

• Like 2

logank
21 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I had the Akra Ti for years on my track bike and loved it. No baffle it was kinda loud but had such a good deep bass tone. The sound was one of the best parts of riding the bike for me. Also the underbelly muffler design kept the exhaust tip nested under the swing arm which made it less vulnerable to damage in a crash. The only reason I changed it was because the underbelly design of the muffler interfered with the rear tire once I modified my suspension. I have a K-Tech rear shock with the Robem rear linkage, this increases swing-arm angle and moves the tire closer to the muffler. I also run a 180/60 which is taller and made clearances even tighter. I would need to run my rear axle at the back of the swing arm, so this did not allow enough travel to run different gear ratios for different tracks. 

So after heavy research I went with the Project CR-T. It was close to the Akra in that the muffler is small (too small to be effective) and it tucks tightly to the swing arm. 

The Project SC in stupid loud. I can tolerate it on the track (I also wear earplugs) but i think it would be too loud on the street. The Project SC is also a few pounds lighter than the Akra Ti, but both are lighter than the stock muffler. 

I would pick the Akra Ti over the Project SC CR-t if it is a street bike and clearance issues like I described are not an issue for you. 

I am keeping the Akra Ti in case I ever get another FZ or change it back to a street bike, I love that exhaust so much, I wont consider selling it. 

Last point, the build quality of both pipes is excellent. You will not be disappointed with either. 

The first 2 pictures show the Akra Ti Fit

EVFZ4.jpg.755a7d6926ca790c00e76e963a293972.jpgIMG-9915.jpg.79122f2f7932abb1f7acb3e6debc8e04.jpg

These show the Project SC CR-T fit

SC.jpg.6d2da6bb7235273cbf836689d6859a53.jpgSC2.jpg.05492bf1367ca6f9e8445ed787845d90.jpg

Hope this info helps.

Ed

Thanks for the responses Ed they're very helpful, I'm yet to hear either in person as I said but I love both sounds from the videos of seen all over the place. So far im leaning to the SC-Project just because the name, the sound, and the iconic look it brings. I really love the sound of both and really wish I could hear them in person but my current mindset is that if I think the SC-Project is too unbearably loud I can just sell it and buy the Akra. Also if you can remember do you know the hp gains between the 2?

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

You will be happy with either one. I do not remember the gain from the Akra, it was tuned with the Hord power air filter. I did not re-tune or dyno with the Project SC, but the bike runs and feels the same. 

I think most of the brand name pipes provide about the same gains. The Project SC is one of the lightest models available. Just watch out for cheap knock offs on eBay or Amazon. The best price I found for mine was from Superbike Unlimited. 

Ed

• Like 1

logank

After further research and everyone saying how "painfully" and "regrettably" loud the sc-project exhaust is I think im gonna have to go for the Akra Ti unfortunately. I know I'll be happy with the beautiful bassy sound it'll make but something about the sc makes me want it so bad. Does anyone have some cheaper websites of the Akra Ti that I could use to price match on revzilla? the lowest price I've found so far is $976.

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

The Akra Ti is one of the more expensive pipes, but it is worth the money. 
I think once you install it and ride with it, you’ll be very happy.

I literally love that exhaust on the FZ/MT-07’s
Ed. 

• Like 1

logank

If anyone has the DB levels for Akra Ti baffle out and/or SC-Project CR-T at idle lmk. Still really would like to go with the sc and if they’re similar at idle that’s all that matters because i’m just worried about neighbors letting the bike warmup or neighbors at night starting it up.

sweetscience

For street riding, at least with a dB killer, you can get away with riding the bike with no ear plugs for a short time.  No harm in asking your neighbors if the bike is too loud at night.  Then, you can decide if the dB killer should stay or go.

I got the Akra carbon race, the one with a trumpet bend.  It's got perfect sound level at idle and full beans with dB killer in.  No upset neighbors, and ears aren't crying for mercy.  I know, not in your radar, but wanted to give some perspective.

logank
57 minutes ago, sweetscience said:

For street riding, at least with a dB killer, you can get away with riding the bike with no ear plugs for a short time.  No harm in asking your neighbors if the bike is too loud at night.  Then, you can decide if the dB killer should stay or go.

I got the Akra carbon race, the one with a trumpet bend.  It's got perfect sound level at idle and full beans with dB killer in.  No upset neighbors, and ears aren't crying for mercy.  I know, not in your radar, but wanted to give some perspective.

my thing is that my friends like I said own built dynas with 2-1s so they're loud ass hell, they also own straight piped r6's which are also loud so idc abt disturbing the peace of the houses I'm riding past but the other people in my household I do care about. I want something loud enough I can hear when riding with them so anything with a db killer is off the books. But my current mindset is both are gonna be loud so at night it doesnt matter which one I have and I live on a big hill so I can just start it and roll it down the hill and slowly ride it away to give it time to warmup. For now im really leaning to the SC-Project just because everyone has the akra and the look of the sc is just so hot lol.

sweetscience

Well, then you just answered your own question.  Get the SC if want loud af.  Who cares about sound quality.  Just remember you will upset neighbours running no dB killer, so there is no compromise.  Does the SC even come with dB killer just in case you need to fall back a little?  

logank
9 minutes ago, sweetscience said:

Well, then you just answered your own question.  Get the SC if want loud af.  Who cares about sound quality.  Just remember you will upset neighbours running no dB killer, so there is no compromise.  Does the SC even come with dB killer just in case you need to fall back a little?  

It does not. They also say you cant add one or else it can cause damage although some external companies make some. In my mind if its too loud I can sell it and its SC-Project bc it should hold its value to an extent so I should get most my money back.