The MT-07 Forum

Mt07 forks on fz07?

Psychotic_pilot

Psychotic_pilot

Hey I’m new here, and I was wondering if the forks on a newer mt07 would fit on my 2016 fz07. I crashed and need new ones but I can’t find anything about it anywhere and it seems like the forks for my bike are impossible to find while the newer models have a lot more out there. Thank you all. 

Psychotic_pilot
Posted (edited)

I’ve looked at the parts diagrams for both models and it looks like the front forks on the newer models are vastly different. I believe they wouldn’t sorry for wasting time. 

edit: I accidentally looked at mt03 forks lmaoo

Edited by Psychotic_pilot

• Global Moderator

I am pretty sure forks are the same externally.  They did change internal stuff (spring rates, I think) at some point, but they are interchangeable. 

• Like 1

ElGonzales

New front brake discs have a larger diameter, so perhaps the threats for the brake caliper are on a different location?

Psychotic_pilot
19 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I am pretty sure forks are the same externally.  They did change internal stuff (spring rates, I think) at some point, but they are interchangeable. 

Thank you, I knew internals were different and make the suspension on newer models better which is another reason why I’d like to use newer ones. 

sweetscience

I think ElGonzales is correct.  The 3rd generation onward ('21-later) have larger front disc brakes, so the caliper mounting holes are in different locations.  My conclusion to what I have read and compared.    

This means you cannot use the 3rd gen larger rotors on the '14-'20 forks.  Because of very tight or no clearance.

Now using the 3rd gen forks on the older smaller rotors, I think will fit but not ideally.  Centering and position of brake pads will probably be off.

In conclusion to OP, get the second gen forks if you want to keep the older 1st and 2nd gen smaller rotors.  And if you want to get bigger rotors get the 3rd gen forks.

• Like 1