The MT-07 Forum

My mt07 has a short hit a bump and everything dies push down on the forks real hard everything comes back on until I hit a bumpm

Brad dreams.

Brad dreams.

Have a short somewhere every time I hit a bump everything dies push down on the forks real hard or jolt the bike everything comes back on till you hit another bump anybody have any ideas where to look I've checked the battery cables I've checked the fuses and I looked all the way down to the kickstand kill switch and the negative cable that runs to the starter and I can't see any shorts or any bare wires

Triple Jim

Intermittent electrical problems are among the worst kind!  I'd probably start by trying to reproduce the problem in my driveway.  For example, with the engine running I'd poke and prod anything and everything, from the headlight to the tail light and everything in between.  If you can get it to quit you can zero in to the thing that's causing it.

I'd be looking for a loose connection, not a short.  If it were a short you'd have burned wiring or a burned component, or even a fire!

clinical

It's a long shot but I'm wondering if it could be a faulty kickstand switch.  Does it happen in neutral?

Kind of weird for this to be happening without popping a fuse.

Triple Jim
4 hours ago, clinical said:

Kind of weird for this to be happening without popping a fuse.

An open circuit like a loose connection won't cause a fuse to blow.  That's why I said it's unlikely to be a short circuit.

ElGonzales

Have you checked the main switch (the lock you turn with the key)?
You can try to hit it gently with the handle grip of a screwdriver while the ignition is switched on and see if something happens. Or check the isolation of it's wiring harness where it touches the left side of the steering head.

You can also check the engines main grounding point:
2024-06-24_17-40.png

Edited by ElGonzales
no more free image space

sweetscience

Add to the list a faulty/corroded start/engine stop switch on the handlebar.

ElGonzales

Perhaps we have to clarify the meaning of "everything dies". The engine dies but the electric things are still working, or the dash, lights, etc. are also dead?