The MT-07 Forum

Is this a normal startup time?

stillshot2

stillshot2

I feel like my bike has been taking more cranks to get started lately. Battery seems to be testing ok but to make sure I even hooked it up to a car battery and was the same thing. It's only on a cold start and right after it starts if I shut it off and restart it will fire right up. New spark plugs and a throttle body sync made no difference, has about 10,600 miles on it. Here's a video link: 

Edited by stillshot2

Triple Jim

Mine often starts with less cranking, but sometimes starts just like in your video.  If it were mine, I would not be concerned.

ElGonzales

Mine acts like Jims and I think it's okay

stillshot2

Hmm ok. The reason I'm a little concerned is that it used to start up quicker but now it's like 9 or 10 cranks every time like this. Should I be concerned about the fuel regulator or fuel pump slowly failing?

Triple Jim

I'm not sure what you mean by 9 or 10 cranks.  Your video shows 2-3 cycles, which is maybe 4-6 rotations of the engine.  The initial fuel pump cycle sounded very normal too.

clinical

Mine starts slower in warm weather or when engine is hot.  I think it has to do with the charcoal canister system (cali bike) but not positive.

ElGonzales

It the same with my bike. When it is hot outside and I ride it pretty fast (within my limited abilities) after a short break the engine sometimes needs longer to start or a even a little bit of opening the throttle. But I don't have the charcoal system.
I told this to a mechanic for japanese bikes nearby when I brought him my wheels for new tires. He said, all the Yamahas have this, it's like the ECU has a problem to find the correct parameters for this situation in the first seconds. 
Maybe it's just the air intake temperature sensor placed at the fuel tank above the hot engine, for whatever reason? Hot air rises up while the bike stands still,  accumulates under the covers and the temperature value signaled to the ECU is way to high. Just a guess. 

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
stillshot2
Posted (edited)

Just an update, if on a cold start I let the starter cycle once or twice then let off, I can hear fuel pump making it's priming noise again and then when I go to switch on the starter again it fires right away in our one or two more cycles as opposed to just trying to start it per usual the holding the starter switch and taking 8-9 cycles of the starter. On a warm or hot start, I have no issues it fires up right away. My mechanic friend out of state suggests the fuel pressure regulator isn't working properly, but that's it's probably a part of the fuel pump and not replaceable on its own. Is there a way to test this for the fz07 before going and trying a new fuel pump? What continues to bother me is the fact it never took this long to start before so something clearly has changed.

Edited by stillshot2

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
8 hours ago, stillshot2 said:

....My mechanic...suggests the fuel pressure regulator isn't working properly...trying a new fuel pump..it never took this long to start before so something clearly has changed

If you want to have a look at fuel pump & replacement...

Please do yourself a favor and don't replace pump. I got 73K miles out of the original equipment, and so will you.

All things are impermanent in endless transformation. The weather changes, temp, air pressure, humidity, atmospheric static electricity, your gas stations change, underground tanks dirty / shook up dirt on bottom tank when trucker fills them, filters at the pump changing / dirtying up, your karma changes (so be nice & change your underwear every day).

Do you turn off you bike with the kill switch or the ignition key? Switch to kill switch every time for two weeks and report back. If you slip up even once and use the key, start counting 2 weeks over again. When you complete two weeks of only kill switch shut downs, report back to us.

stillshot2
Posted (edited)

Lately I've been riding about 2 times a week since it's been so hot here in Arizona, usually try to stay below 90 degrees outside air temp so early in the morning. I do know the Phoenix area does get a different blend of gas in the summertime. 91 octane is as high as I can find in my area, would adding octane booster to a tank be a bad idea for an fz07? I put some in my old carbureted Honda XL250R once and it seemed to make it harder to start so I drained it out of the tank. 

Edited by stillshot2

stillshot2
13 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Switch to kill switch every time for two weeks and report back

I use ignition key and have tried kill switch once or twice with no difference, why use kill switch for two weeks might I ask? 

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
2 hours ago, stillshot2 said:

....why use kill switch for two weeks might I ask? 

When experience conflicts with beliefs, the mind says "... I know it's true, but I just don't believe it..."

Your experience is the bike starts up you hop on it and take off, but your beliefs jump in and say "...something is wrong".

Philosophy gives the mind something to do, until the truth of your experience dissolves the beliefs that have no basis.

I gave you something to do until the light dissolves what you think is making you unhappy.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

I'm going with this - they change fuel blending seasonally and you are caught up in a very small issue where fuel is maybe not what is optimum. Also issues of fuel supplies because chaos/war conditions and circumstances causing the same.

Instead of the fuel pump, get yourself a Knox Urbane Pro MK2 or 3. The girls around town are going to notice you.

On 8/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, stillshot2 said:

Lately I've been riding about 2 times a week since it's been so hot here in Arizona, usually try to stay below 90 degrees outside air temp so early in the morning. I do know the Phoenix area does get a different blend of gas in the summertime. 91 octane is as high as I can find in my area, would adding octane booster to a tank be a bad idea for an fz07? I put some in my old carbureted Honda XL250R once and it seemed to make it harder to start so I drained it out of the tank. 

Higher octane gas typically makes a bike harder to start, the higher octane reduces detonation because it makes the gas harder to ignite.

• Like 2