The MT-07 Forum

First oh #%@! moment today

camshaft24

So I'm a new rider, only 1300 miles under my belt, and today I had my first heart pounding moment. I was cruising along a two lane black top around 65 mph and all the sudden my handlebar snaps to the right and then back to normal.  Thank God the front wheel always wants to right itself. After I checked my drawers I turned around to see what I hit so I could learn from the experience. Turns out there were 2 baseball size rocks on the road. Lesson learned!  

Guest August BB

What lesson did you learn, to spot baseball sized rocks on the road ahead of time and not run over them? ;)

I had a very similar thing happen to me a few rides ago.  Ok, maybe not the same but I was going down a downhill curve at 50mph (speed limit is 45 so I was not riding crazy) when I feel the unmistakable feeling of the front tire lose grip and slip over just a beat.  I figured I must've hit a small piece of gravel.  New rider as well so that was the first time I felt that.  I love how you can feel the feedback almost down to a pinpoint on a motorcycle as opposed to a car.  Ok, maybe love is not the right word because it involves making your heart stop when things like that happen.

Actually, I think what I learned from this was to always remain alert and on the lookout for all hazards.  There were no cars around and no intersections. I was out in the middle of nowhere and think I just tuned out. 

Archived