The MT-07 Forum

Headlamp replacement, now brighter

armourbl

Was at the auto parts store grabbing some things and found this H4 bulb for $25 and thought why not give it a try.

uc?export=view&id=0B2DCeFVNPpHNcEhEZzFVcDlUbkU&authuser=0

Here is the stock bulb on low beam.
uc?export=view&id=0B2DCeFVNPpHNQVpoa00xdUVtWW8&authuser=0

Here is the replacement bulb on low beam.
uc?export=view&id=0B2DCeFVNPpHNR3hGZ1MxQ0xMYWM&authuser=0

Here is the stock bulb on high beam.
uc?export=view&id=0B2DCeFVNPpHNSlBKZDlmREhaV2M&authuser=0

Here is the replacement bulb on high beam.
uc?export=view&id=0B2DCeFVNPpHNTWdFTkNNcFpvaGs&authuser=0

Overall, I think there is a more than noticeable difference. My wife doesn't ride much at night, but I'd still like here to be more visible in the day and the stock bulb is barely adequate in my opinion.

ben

The silverstars are a quality bulb, but I stopped using them after I was replacing them multiple times per year in my cars. They just don't seem to last much longer than 6 months. I've since moved to Philips Crystalvision Ultra bulbs, which are even whiter than silverstars, and only about $25/pair.

Still, getting a higher quality halogen bulb is one of the quickest safety mods you can do. I'll probably end up getting a ballasted LED H4 kit for my bike, but I've enjoyed upgraded halogens over the years as well.

Anyone have a tutorial on how to change the bulbs?

Also, any drawbacks to going to different/more powerful bulbs such as battery drain, electronics issues etc?

Also, any drawbacks to going to different/more powerful bulbs such as battery drain, electronics issues etc?
It's very simple and in the owners manual.  Two bolts on the sides and the assembly pivots forward.  It's the same as changing headlight bulb on a car.  I tried and LED bulb, but that did not fit.  There is very little room behind the bulb and the downtube.  LED bulbs have fans, making them longer, but still hopeful I will fond one. 

It's very simple and in the owners manual.  Two bolts on the sides and the assembly pivots forward.  It's the same as changing headlight bulb on a car.  I tried and LED bulb, but that did not fit.  There is very little room behind the bulb and the downtube.  LED bulbs have fans, making them longer, but still hopeful I will fond one. 
The wattage of those bulbs is the same as std. H4 halogen (55/60) so current draw will also be the same. 

They somehow manage to get more lumens from those bulbs or it's just perceived cause the wavelength/color of the light produced is whiter. 

Archived