The MT-07 Forum

How To: Yamaha FZ-07 Factory Rear Rack Installation

nhdon

Worked for me, thanks for sharing!
Thanks Cruizin. 
I'll update date it with tool info and maybe more pics.  It was 36-37 degree F and hands were quite cold so getting the job done came before taking pics.

Thanks. It's very useful. Always great to share this kind of information.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

I don't plan to do this mod, but your photos are definitely more helpful than the instructions alone! Thanks for sharing.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

rear racks never do much for the aesthetics of any bike, but they sure are practical. Sorry, but that Yamaha one steps well over the line in the way it looks and mounts. Especially that big hole that must be cut in the middle.

I'm gonna mount one of these when it shows up. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-for-yamaha-fz-07. Because the arms reach forward to the passenger peg brackets, only need to drill 2 holes each side in that bodywork. It's still an appendage hanging off the back of what was a clean simple line, but.

That's said, looks like yer ready to do some traveling. Excellent. I'm used to having hard cases, a big seat bag that actually can sit on just the seat and a tankbag bigger than the 07's tank. So I'm still workin' on it.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know where I can find the template that was included with the rack to make the cuts? I lost mine in my move...

I think the Yamaha rack is more esthetically pleasing than the SW-Motech rack, but certainly more of a PITA to install.
Here is a video I made for people to understand what they will have to go through to install that rack.
The FZ-07 then became very versatile after adding the 40L Shad case. I have been so spoiled by it that I will always have a case on all my future motorcycles.

• 3 weeks later...
amycyclenut

I think the Yamaha rack is the best looking personally, but it is a ridiculous install... cutting into the plastics is nuts, but the easy part, getting it all on was a real PITA... but eventually I won.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

Archived