The MT-07 Forum

An honest review of AK-20 & Penske 8983 shock set up

FZRDR

I'm going to give you my personal opinion of the suspension set up that Traxxion did for me based on my weight/riding style.
which is to say mostly aggressive street riding and commuting. 
keep in mind I have another thread, Pics of Fork removal, that I posted all those pictures on, so no new pics here.

Today was my first ride since installing the Ak-20 forks/penske 8983. 
I checked sag numbers for the front of the bike by following basic procedures. My numbers were within range (37mm).
I also checked rear shock sag, and it to was within specs and remember this is right out of the box set up by TRAXXION. They provide a card with how they set up preload/compression and rebound at, for both fork and shock,,,nice!

So i headed out on a ride and my first impression was firm but plush.  I let the bike and suspension warm up a bit further and began to lean and push the bike and suspension harder into turns. I wish I had a better grasp of adjectives to explain, but the only thing I can think of was mesmerizing.  I can now squirt this thing in and out of corners like never before, with total control now.

The tires feel planted on turn in and exit. By that I  do mean front and rear grip is amazing.  When I let off the gas abruptly I do not feel any dive from the front forks as before, it's like I know the injectors are off but the suspension won't let it affect the ride one bit.  I then tested the brakes firmly and again the front went in and out of its travel with a smooth transition, so smooth I had to test over and over and each time I was amazed at how well the suspension is allowing me to push this bike. 

So all I can say now, is that This set up really transforms this bike and that Traxxion came through  for me.

I know the cost is prohibitive for most, myself included, but the ride quality now is greatly improved and feels much, much safer?

Im extremely happy with the ride now and I find myself asking why yamaha didn't let the bike leave the facility this way? I know, I know, to keep cost down. One last thing, I did not get paid to write this.  I paid for my suspension components and sent my forks in, but installed them myself.  To me, money well spent. I plan on keeping this bike a long time and enjoying it.
Thanks for listening and I hope this review helps some of you.

Thanks for the comments guys! 
After my initial write up, I grabbed the yamaha key again and tested the suspension once more. 
I was grinning from ear to ear! The bike handled everything I threw at it. 
After I got home my wife asked what the heck I was smiling about and I had to laugh.

Happy  Holidays  everyone,    \\ :D/

Kev1360,

I Paid 2250.  Total.
that is For the AK-20 Kit installed into forks by Traxxion Dynamics  that adjusts for preload/rebound/compression and  the Penske 8983 shock that adjusts for preload/rebound/ with remote compression reservoir. Both set up for my weight and riding style.

• Premium Member

I have the Traxxion AK20's and Penske triple clicker remote res in the rear...I can echo your comments Sir. Full review in the future, but for now all I can say is...

Magical!

:)

- Paulie

Glad to hear you feel the same.
Also from what I understand from traxxions site, I can upgrade my 8983 to the 8987(3xclicker) by replacing the Remote canister........below from Penske......

Can I upgrade my 8983 to an 8987?
Yes, like most Penske products, you can easily upgrade the 8983 to the 8987 with a simple canister upgrade.

Thanks for the comments.  
I really don't think most people realize the safety aspect of the upgrade.  
Had I not been riding a sport bike with decent adjustable suspension before the FZ, and then buying and riding the FZ in urban traffic, I wouldn't have known there is a big difference.  But now the FZ is a controllable light machine in most  situations and that includes panic stops, road imperfections, squirting in/out of traffic and just plain cruising.  

• 2 months later...

Indeed. I really don't get why the Jap4 cheap out so horribly on suspension. The MSRP increase of competent suspension (say the same Showa gear the R6 had from 5 years ago) is barely a few hundred dollars.

The stability and connection/feel of the tire with cartridges is phenomenal compared to the barely disguised pogo-stick that is damper rods even with GVE. If GP Suspension doesn't have an FZ07 cartridge retrofit out yet, they and others probably will soon enough. A good shock is going to cost the same from pretty much anybody. Fork upgrades can be a lot less. They just won't have quite the professional fit and finish of the AK product.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to ask if you still like this set up? Suspension is one of the things holding me back from buying an fz-07. Hate to spend 7-8 grand on a bike and have to put another 2 grand into it for it to handle the way it should.

Just wanted to ask if you still like this set up? Suspension is one of the things holding me back from buying an fz-07. Hate to spend 7-8 grand on a bike and have to put another 2 grand into it for it to handle the way it should.
I absolutely agree with you that it seems crazy to have to spend money on susp, but.....if you have done enough research on any moto forum it's now the norm. Most Manufacturers just do not spend the money on a quality system any longer.   So to answer your?Yes, Yes, yes,  I absolutely love this suspension set up, plain and simple.  It works together front and back and tackles any road condition that I encounter all while making my ride a lot safer, no front dive from the front end, no pogo stick feeling, complete confidence inspiring ride.
Was it costly, yes, would I go to the trouble of shipping out my front end again and installing the components again.....YES.
 hope this helps......................

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes is helps me a lot. It might be cost effective if I wait till the first of next year and find a used fz-07 for around 5500-6000 and spend the money on suspension and I should come out paying what the otd price on a new one would be.

Thank you

you can find new leftovers for <6K depending on location.

Yes, it's a crying shame, really, but I guess they figure somewhere north of 70% of purchases wouldn't know what good suspension feels like and don't care to spend money to fix it so why should the manufacturer devalue it's "competitive" price-point and profits by supplying a better grade of product? Yamaha tried to save a pathetic $100 on the FZ09 and it cost them dearly in PR. Next to lawyers I hope there is a circle of hell reserved for accountants who dictate utterly stupid terms to engineering divisions.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I have had custom suspension on three of my bikes I have owned. My cbr 929 had ohlins rear and racetech gold valves and spring, also had a scotts steering damper. That bike was amazing, my 1988 Honda hawk gt650 had new springs and gold valves in the front (but non adjustable) and I installed a cbr 600rr rear shock. Ya not really custom but made a huge difference. On my 2002 kawi zrx eddie Lawson replica I only did the front springs just because it has two rear shocks and that was spendy. Bike still handled well.

I guess I would redo the suspension on any bike I purchased just to have it set up to my weight and riding style anyway. I think I have made up my mind.

Good luck then with whatever you decide,
as you know there's nothing like having your ride set up to your weight/riding style.

funny,  I just saw traxxion set up a sale on their AK-20s

Archived