The MT-07 Forum

1st gear disappears after a stop

fairorth

I've got 100 miles on my bike, and yesterday and today I found a very disturbing thing happening. When I came to a stop, at a light or in traffic, I drop it down through the gears and from 2nd I drop down into N, but pushing down expecting first and I get nothing. I push down -- hard too -- and there is no gear there.

I was able to find first by revving it a bit, and then trying again, but this has happened on multiple occasions and its freaking me out.

Anyone have any experience like this and any thoughts on what it might be?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

Next time if it's in neutral try letting the clutch out then try again
sometimes especially on new bikes the dog clutches meet end on instead of
meshing and you can't get a gear don't use excessive force it wont work and
you could bend something, it gets better as the engine runs in and just
letting the clutch out enough to turn the gears a little allows it to go in gear.

Sounds normal, and it how a motorcycle transmission works.Letting the clutch out just enough to rotate the gears will get you 1st gear, which is stated above.Just don't fully release the clutch while doing this (unless you intend on moving forward), but quickly pull it back in.After some practice, it's like tying your shoe.

If the gears stop in the wrong spot and the required parts are not lined-up as they need to be, you ain't getting 1st gear no matter how hard you stomp on the shift pedal.
Same as when rolling the bike around on the showroom floor or in the garage, you may need to roll the bike a bit to select the gears with the shift lever.
Try it and see.

• Premium Member

Like YZ said.. let the clutch out a little..

I've clicked from 6th to 1st after coming to a (very quick) complete stop. Actuate the clutch lever a little is all it takes.

Everything went braap.

Thanks everyone -- this site is great!

Let me make sure I understand what everyone is telling me. When I come to a stop, perhaps from 4th gear let's say, I pull in the clutch and step down through the gears, not engaging the clutch, just dropping down. So I drop to 3rd, then 2nd, then Neutral. Now I release the clutch and I'm sitting quiet in Neutral.

The light changes or traffic moves, and I pull in the clutch and push down, and there is no 1st gear there. So now I should let the clutch out slowly (approaching the friction point) and keep trying, checking to see if there is a gear down there.

I'll give it a whirl today. Lucky for me I live in Texas and we ride year round!!

Marc

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

Ideally if you're going to do it right you should release the clutch on every
down change thats how bike boxes are intended to be used though many don't these days
pull the clutch give the throttle a little blip to match road speed to reves and change
down let clutch out same for next gear and so on, sounds a lot of faf but becomes second
nature and you are always in the right gear if you then want to accelerate away.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

All good advice given here. ^^^ I find when it's difficult to put in first, if I get the bike rolling just a tiny bit, it will go into first easier.

Illegitimi non carborundum

thanks everyone. I took her out after reading all these and of course had no problems! Murphy must have been watching me.

I swear this little bike is super addictive. I ride, come in, check out fz-0s.org, and head right back to the garage ...

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

Another tip. Don't sit at lights in neutral and wait for it to turn green to go into first. Get to 1st asap and keep it there so you can escape quickly incase someone behind you don't see sou or they start moving and they don't know it. :)

I'm a new rider and when this happened to me I found it pretty disturbing. luckily I came to the same conclusion about letting the clutch out a little. If it hasn't been made perfectly clear I'll try to word it differently:

If you're in neutral at a long stop light ( or just downshifting from 2nd to first) don't pull the clutch in completely when you shift down to 1st. Try pulling it in halfway through it's travel and it should just slip into gear. If it doesn't, just let the clutch out a little more and it should work.

Archived