The MT-07 Forum

Valve shims-

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

So, my 2016 FZ-07 has north of 10K track miles on it.... I haven't touched the motor since I bought it NEW. I recently checked my compression, and it was low. I checked the valve clearance, and found out I need some shims. Does anyone here know the DIAMETER of the shims/buttons our bikes use? I've been told that all Yamahas use the same size shims- I find that odd? I used to have a "Hotcams" shim kit in my supermoto days. It had nearly every size shim imaginable. Am I better off buying a kit like that, or just buy the individual shims from Yamaha as needed? Any help would be appreciated, thanks-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

M. Hausknecht

Deleting my post because its wrong. Sorry, I guess my memory is faulty and my shims are 1300 miles away.

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 1

Buy individual because kit does not have enough of same size if needed.

Edited by twf
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator

There are options, this is from the how to in garage tech tips forum area.

...shims from Pro X, they have 7.48mm diameter shims in standard sizes and shims in "intermediate" sizes (in between standard sizes). In the calculation above, choosing the Pro X 1.675mm shim (when standard shim sizes are "too gross") will result in a new clearance of 0.265mm, in the middle of the Yamaha specification for exhaust valves (0.24mm -> 0.30mm) . Keep this in mind that there are more choices in shims sizes with Pro X. Since I started using Pro X shims, I buy only Pro X shims. Check with RockyMountainATVMC.com they stock complete Pro X shims kits and sell individual sizes, and they seem to always have any size I need in stock, same day shipping.

Use this example and calculate what shim sizes you need to order, and get them on the way (about $2 each from Pro X suppliers- Pro X has standard sizes and "intermediate" sizes for same price)....

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I ordered a kit from Spears Racing last night. I'm hoping that it has enough of the right size shims I'll need. Thanks for the replies-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

If you don't get all the sizes you need people are usually willing to trade shims.  I have almost 1 of everything from 1.20 to 3.50 thickness in 7.48 diameter from my R6 days.  I'm missing a couple here and there but multiples of most.  Most are hotcams but some may not be at this point from trading to get what I needed.  If you don't get what you need I may have them.