The MT-07 Forum

Talk to me about gloves...

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member

Been riding with these, they were cheapies that I picked up for the MSF course.
 STELLA_SMX-3_AIR_GLV_BLK_detail.jpg
Now that I'm riding more these are quick becoming inadequate. I want more protection and something that will keep my hands a little warmer. My friend tells me to go gauntlet race but is that overkill for someone that intends on doing basic riding? What are you guys using currently and do you have any pros/cons to mention to a new rider? How many gloves do you have in your rotation? I live in southern California so my ideal glove would work year-round but provide nice protection. Thanks in advance,

B

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

The best thing to do is try some on and find out what fits good. Then decide if you want impact protection or just abrasion resistance.

Really good glove makers:
http://www.jrcglove.com/ the deerskin maverick is a nice, soft and supple glove. My summer glove.

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/womens_womensdeerskin

Really good armored option:
http://www.eggparka.com/english/lineup/glove_ws5/index.html

Then there's unlimited other offerings at places like revzilla.

Finding a glove that works year round isn't easy. You really probably need 2 pairs, or you will be cold or sweaty and usually not "just right".

Also, no such thing as overkill here. Hand injuries are common. You instinctively brace for impact with your hands.

Everything went braap.

My advice:
Get some that stand a chance of surviving a slide down the road and keeping your skin covered in the process.
Not all gloves can do that.

I wear Spidi, myself.

My advice: Get some that stand a chance of surviving a slide down the road and keeping your skin covered in the process.

I wear Spidi, myself.

I really like Held gloves. I think they are the very best.

My advice: Get some that stand a chance of surviving a slide down the road and keeping your skin covered in the process.

I wear Spidi, myself.
I really like Held gloves. I think they are the very best.
I've never tried Held brand gloves, although they do look the biz. 

I own 3 pair of gloves. For cold temp, i use Alpinestar Storm (bought in 2005). They're insulated with 40 gr of Thinsulate. Under 5°C (41°F), they're not warm enough. Handguards would help a bit. I could ride more at those temp with my V-Strom 1000 with this gloves.

For the majority of my riding season i wear Scott Distinct 1 Gt gloves. Very comfortable, Gore-tex make them wind and waterproof.  But i can't say that i tested them in pouring rain. Instead i wear neoprene gloves (my kayak's gloves). Better than any waterproof motorcycle gloves that i tried and they are way cheaper; around 25$.

For hot temp, i used to wear Icon Hooligan 2 gloves. They are in good shape after 8 seasons. Never liked the plastic protection on them. Even if the gloves are comfy. A few weeks ago, i bought Olympia 760 Air Force gel gloves. Hear good things about this company. I'll see next summer if it's a good buy.

Good gloves maybe expensive, but they usually last. Because of the price, i buy gloves when they come at discount price. And i don't bother to look for waterproofness. Because neoprene gloves are a better alternative. Even wet, they keep my hands warm. And after the rain, they become dry after a very short time. For trips, i always bring 2 pairs of gloves. i'll never start a new day of riding with wet gloves.

I don't know if waterproof gloves have improved since the last 10 years. Other riders are better to comment for this subject.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

I did get the ICON compound gloves on sale for $50. They are nice IMO, some of the good mechanics glove you can spend 30 to 40 on and might be just as good but are lacking in the knuckles. as long as you only use them for riding and not changing your oil or chopping wood they should last a long time no matter what you decide. Get what fits and feels comfortable.

This is what I mean by mechanic gloves some have carbon fiber knuckles too FYI http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=649948&group_ID=682170&store=&dir=catalog
Carbon  knuckles http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=650017&group_ID=683169&store=&dir=catalog

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Thanks to everyone that replied, so between these two gloves--which would you purchase and why? Price is practically the same, is Kevlar stitching worth the extra money while sacrificing high-wrist protection? What would be your thought process in deciding?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-womens-veloce-gloves

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-womens-carbon-cover-s-st-gloves

• Premium Member

Veloce for me. The wrist padding is nice, especially when it's cooler out. The kangaroo hide -might- offer better tactile feedback. They just look better to me.

They are rated nearly the same for the armor inserts. Kevlar stitching isn't mandatory if the thread and method of construction is substantial enough.

Edit: another thing to consider is the other gloves have perforated inserts and are generally more suited for warm weather. With glove liners they might be more along the lines of a year round glove in SoCal. I don't use liners though so they may not be worth a damn if they bunch up at the palms and fingers.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I personally own the Carbon Covers and use them a lot. They're great! They just aren't too ventilated. Yes, gauntlet gloves will offer more protection, but I've decided on comfort and convenience for these. 

I don't think you can really get away with just one pair of gloves here in SoCal. I own three pairs. The Carbons, a pair that are a ventilated for the hotter days, and thick pair of gloves for the 50 degree and under weather. But I ride almost everyday and my commute is 50+ miles/day. So it all depends on your needs. 

If Dianese is what you're interested in, I suggest stopping the the store in Newport. The fit is different from Alpinestars. Dianese tends to be shorter in the fingers. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
I personally own the Carbon Covers and use them a lot. They're great! They just aren't too ventilated. Yes, gauntlet gloves will offer more protection, but I've decided on comfort and convenience for these.  
I don't think you can really get away with just one pair of gloves here in SoCal. I own three pairs. The Carbons, a pair that are a ventilated for the hotter days, and thick pair of gloves for the 50 degree and under weather. But I ride almost everyday and my commute is 50+ miles/day. So it all depends on your needs. 

If Dianese is what you're interested in, I suggest stopping the the store in Newport. The fit is different from Alpinestars. Dianese tends to be shorter in the fingers. 

Agree with this. Even if you don't try on the same exact pair most (if not all) of them will fit the same. 

• Premium Member

Great feedback fz-fam, going by their shop in Newport sounds fun :) I'll try and get to it in the New Year. @motomeek are the Carbon's your most used pair? I know you ride a lot but as someone that doesn't I'd like my next pair of gloves to be a well rounded glove. After some more hours on the bike, I'll be comfortable riding in more 'extreme' environments and can purchase extra gloves accordingly.

• Premium Member
Great feedback fz-fam, going by their shop in Newport sounds fun :) I'll try and get to it in the New Year. @motomeek are the Carbon's your most used pair? I know you ride a lot but as someone that doesn't I'd like my next pair of gloves to be a well rounded glove. After some more hours on the bike, I'll be comfortable riding in more 'extreme' environments and can purchase extra gloves accordingly.
Yeah, this would be a great pair as a well-rounded glove! Just call in to make sure they have them in stock. The women's section always seem to be a bit skim, like anywhere you go... Don't want you to get over there for nothin'! 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Motomeek had me convinced on the Dainese Carbon Covers, but it doesn't seem like they're stocked anymore. Couldn't wait any longer and took a chance on these via Revzilla:

dainese_womens_veloce_gloves_black_black_black_detail.jpg
I can't say they fit 100% perfectly (my palm extends just the slightest beyond the palm area and the thumb department is a LITTLE longer than needed) but overall they are very comfortable so I'm happy and can't wait to test them out this weekend! My guess is that it'll be the perfect So Cal winter glove. Thanks again to all that contributed to this thread. 

• Premium Member

Glad you were able to find something for the time being. 

I just checked Revzilla yesterday… seems they are carrying theses now: MIG C2

Around this time of the year, the new stock starts to show up for summer. These are a mixture of textile and leather to be a bit more breathable than the carbons… maybe you can check those out. It started to warm back up again. It's saying it's going to be 80+ degrees all week!

A friend of mine loves his Dainese gloves. I think his covers are titanium though. I have the alpinestar gauntlet style (I think they're called the SP2) and they're fantastic. Only problem is wet weather. But cold or hot, they're just fine.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

Does anyone have a recommendation for touch screen gloves? I found a mount for my cell off amazon that is working great. I'll use it for GPS and to connect to a Sena SMH-10. I want to be able to pause the tunes at a stop sign, hit next track, etc. The only ones I've found on Revzilla seem to be out of stock.

My a-stars have a little pad on the index tip. I didn't find that out until a week or so ago lol

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

I go through gloves very quickly for some reason. I have had at least 5 pairs in 4 years of every day riding. I tend to wear them down in the index and middle finger, and the pinkie. My all time favorite and current gloves are the Racer Mickey. Excellent protection, well made, very good fit (super tight to put on but once they're on they're gold), and my hands don't freeze. (SF Bay Area)

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/mickey-glove/

tABF4eT.jpg

I love my Icon gloves. Fit like a charm and give good feel.

I just bought the Fox gloves. They're the "Antifreeze" glove, iirc. I bought them for riding when it's colder than 60°F or so. It only got down to around 55° on my ride home today, but they seemed to do the job quite nicely. They don't have any protection in them though.

Does anyone have a recommendation for touch screen gloves? I found a mount for my cell off amazon that is working great. I'll use it for GPS and to connect to a Sena SMH-10. I want to be able to pause the tunes at a stop sign, hit next track, etc. The only ones I've found on Revzilla seem to be out of stock.
Icon makes gloves identical to mine, but with touch screen tips - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-pursuit-perforated-touch-screen-gloves

Nanotips will turn any gloves into touch screen gloves.

http://www.nanotips.com/

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
Glad you were able to find something for the time being.  
I just checked Revzilla yesterday… seems they are carrying theses now: MIG C2

Around this time of the year, the new stock starts to show up for summer. These are a mixture of textile and leather to be a bit more breathable than the carbons… maybe you can check those out. It started to warm back up again. It's saying it's going to be 80+ degrees all week!

I know, I can't wait to ride this weekend additionally, I get Monday off too!

Those MIGs look like perfect candidates for summer gloves; maybe in a month the Alpinestars will get replaced. Thanks for all your suggestions--it's made things quite easy for me :)

Great choice. @motomeek and I seem to share the same taste in gloves. I have the Carbon Cover ST's and will probably be picking up a set of Carbon Cover S-ST's for this summer. I love them.

Archived