The MT-07 Forum

Totaled R7 rebuild thread

youngmaavin

• Global Moderator

Wow, I am not sure I understand the point of insurance where you live.  Here it is in case of an accident.  If you are at fault your premiums will most likely increase but the bike will be fixed or you will get the value of it if it is totaled.  The only time you would not get a payout is if the insurance company could prove you intentionally damaged you bike.  It almost seems pointless to get insurance if it does not cover accidental damage. 

youngmaavin
19 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Wow, I am not sure I understand the point of insurance where you live.  Here it is in case of an accident.  If you are at fault your premiums will most likely increase but the bike will be fixed or you will get the value of it if it is totaled.  The only time you would not get a payout is if the insurance company could prove you intentionally damaged you bike.  It almost seems pointless to get insurance if it does not cover accidental damage. 

Yes, insurance here are crooks. It costs a fortune and doesn't provide you with any compensation, as a motorcyclist.

Only protects other drivers on the road in case you crash into them.

In this case I won't have to pay for the damages of the car I hit.

Triple Jim
30 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Here it is in case of an accident.  If you are at fault your premiums will most likely increase but the bike will be fixed or you will get the value of it if it is totaled.  The only time you would not get a payout is if the insurance company could prove you intentionally damaged you bike.  It almost seems pointless to get insurance if it does not cover accidental damage. 

This is true only if you have collision coverage.  I do not, so if I wreck my MT, I will have to pay to fix or replace it.  Collision coverage adds a lot of cost, so I opt to self-insure for that.  If you get a bank loan to buy a motorcycle, the bank will require full coverage insurance, which includes collision coverage.

From my point of view, the purpose of insurance is to keep me from having to pay a huge amount of money if I injure of kill someone, or cause high-dollar property damage.  This of course is liability coverage, which is what's required by most (all?) states.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator

I forgot about just getting liability coverage.  I pay just over $200 a year for full coverage so it seemed silly to just get liability. 

youngmaavin

My mandatory insurance costs like 2000$ a year and getting comprehensive was like another 1500$ i think.

And now my premiums will be even higher after the accident.

• Sad 1

Triple Jim

What country do you live in?  Countries with government health care sometimes factor in the likelihood of costing the system money.  Motorcycle riders are statistically likely to do this, so they pay higher insurance premiums to cover the cost.  They pay a lot for motorcycle insurance, and I pay a lot for health insurance instead.

Edited by Triple Jim

20 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

This of course is liability coverage, which is what's required by most (all?) states.

Proof of liability (cash invested or insurance company) is required in covering the "other" in the US.

7 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

My mandatory insurance costs like 2000$ a year

per your previous statement of 3.5 to US dollar
Is aprox 571 US dollars Which is NOT horrible in the states.
I pay ~300 for two bikes. 

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

youngmaavin
1 hour ago, balkor2 said:

per your previous statement of 3.5 to US dollar
Is aprox 571 US dollars Which is NOT horrible in the states.
I pay ~300 for two bikes. 

No 2000 was in US dollars already.

I'd kill for paying only 500 bucks a year for my bike.

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

What country do you live in? 

Israel.

Notoriously high taxes on everything, from income to imports, you name it.

Edited by youngmaavin

16 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

No 2000 was in US dollars already.

Oh My.

I guess that would be more like our 'Medical' insurance here. Like what @Triple Jim stated

18 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I pay a lot for health insurance instead.

I to am paying like ~5x what I paid 10 or so years ago.

In the late 1990's I was paying like ~25 dollars a year for medical.  Today, that would even pay for the co-pay not alone the medical insurance. 

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

youngmaavin

I talked to local ohlins dealer here, he told me there’s no complete setup available for the r7, only cartridges. Said that I can maybe get some outer parts, like fork tubes from kayaba. Anyone done that here or something similar, sourcing only the outer parts of forks?

Never from the factory, but there's a company that makes fork tubes to order. Usually go to eBay forks when I need whole assemblies, but that's gonna be a tough find for such a new bike. 

youngmaavin

Anyone got suggestions for aftermarket brake rotors?

Something better than OEM for street application?

OEM ones are 350$ and for that price I imagine I might get some alternatives.

Edited by youngmaavin

M. Hausknecht

EBC makes excellent rotors but they typically cost more than OEM (well, in the USA anyways).

youngmaavin

I think I might go with the combo of FLOATING FRONT BREMBO SERIE ORO DISC YAMAHA R7 2022-2023 and Brembo street pads. Slightly more expensive, than OEM, but feel might be a worthy "upgrade".

Edited by youngmaavin

youngmaavin

Some unfortunate updates...

Front end got disassembled and everything is bent, forks, triple trees, wheel stem.

I didn't get off easy.

Frame is going to be checked with a laser soon.

Caught a lucky break on some parts, got fairings, lights and a triple tree from a guy who turned his R7 into a race bike, hopefully they get delivered no problem.

Biggest obstacle for me now is the forks. Locally even just buying the tubes from Yamaha without internals and swapping my old ones in will run me around 2000$. Brand new forks are itching closer to 3000$.

I'm not prepared to spend this kind of cash on OEM components and frankly can't afford to.

If anyone has any suggestions or R7 forks for sale, I'll gladly buy them. Or maybe R7 tubes with no internals.

Getting desperate for a solution.

image.thumb.png.3a948ba91af13a8cd1d34eba94d3caa8.png

image.thumb.png.cd3b7f294e375b93f23a29c3a19cfeb1.png

• Sad 1

Triple Jim

It's been a long time, so I don't remember any company names, but there are places that will straighten bent fork tubes at a reasonable price.

youngmaavin
31 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

It's been a long time, so I don't remember any company names, but there are places that will straighten bent fork tubes at a reasonable price.

From my (limited) research I understood that outer fork tubes don’t straighten out. Aside from that I’m not sure I’m willing to risk restoring such a vital component with the help of local shops, whose work I don’t 100% trust. I’m not in the US, so qualified labour in such fields is limited here. I will bring out this option to the mechanics out of curiosity though.

youngmaavin

Can someone knowledgeable advise on this, since I admittedly have no idea here.

As far as I know, 08-15 R6 forks will fit R7 triple tree.

Let’s say I get this set or a similar one.

How can I understand if it will fit my stock wheel/brakes combo? Is it the same standard diameter for a wheel stem? Do I need an R6 wheel to go along?

0CCAA625-E48A-4C50-A29E-0F4A3B00AA80.jpeg

Edited by youngmaavin

• Global Moderator

I hate to say it but I would wait until you know if the frame is straight before putting too much effort or any money into repairs.  With as much damage as you have I would be surprised if it is not bent, but I hope I am wrong.  Good luck. 

M. Hausknecht

I saw a used set of R7 forks for sale on Facebook yesterday. Dunno where they are in the world. I think they were listed in the R7 group.

youngmaavin
18 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I saw a used set of R7 forks for sale on Facebook yesterday. Dunno where they are in the world. I think they were listed in the R7 group.

Tried searching, but couldn’t find them. I think it only allows certain radius for search. Let me know if you come across them again, thanks.

M. Hausknecht
22 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

Tried searching, but couldn’t find them. I think it only allows certain radius for search. Let me know if you come across them again, thanks.

Looked again last night, didn't find them. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
youngmaavin

Started to receive some of the parts, other are stuck in customs inspections.

Biggest problem so far is still the forks, can't seem to find a set of oem ones for a reasonable price and not enough info on the R6 ones fitment.

Long wait time for laser check of the frame as well.

• Like 1

I hear ya ;)

And then someone is always saying "Patience is a Virtue" and then I want to punch them in the face LOL. They aren't the ones waiting!
All in comedy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
youngmaavin

Got all the stuff aside from a couple panels, brake discs and forks, which are still a problem.

Decided that if I'm going to rebuild, I'll put some nice parts on it instead of OEM ones.

Since I'm spending over half of the price of a new bike anyways, don't want to end up with a stock one.

I have Ohlins rear shock, Bonamichi levers and lever guard, smoked windscreen, brembo pads, radiator guard and swingarm spools, DNA air filter and cover.

Maybe dumb to do that before I have the results of laser check, but it's taking insanely long time and if I only started to gather the parts now, it would take forever.

• Like 1