The MT-07 Forum

Totaled R7 rebuild thread

youngmaavin

youngmaavin

Hi, everyone.

I keep making entertaining threads on this forum at my own expense...

So a few days ago I got in a serious crash, which I'm at fault for and due to how insurance is structured in my country, I will be getting no compensation.

The bike is heavily damaged, but due to the insanely high import tax on all vehicles I can't afford to write it off.

So will be attempting a rebuild, hopefully with the help of this forum.

I will be attempting to replace as much as possible with aftermarket parts, since they might be actually easier/cheaper to get ahold of, then OEM ones.

So levers, windscreen, plastics, etc will be aftermarket.

Now the biggest problem is the front wheel, breaks, front forks, dash and headlights.

These all need to be replaced and my country doesn't allow used imports of forks, for example, very strict laws.

Also every part is taxed at 50% upon entering the country.

So if anyone can suggest good aftermarket alternatives, which can be bought new and have certification standards for front forks and breaks, that would be great.

I was quoted about 1200$ for each individual fork, for example.

image.thumb.png.a56fe6cbe0c6ecb389c9d7ff24317bf0.png

image.thumb.png.28a70d7e496e96bff36a94ce68294f48.png

youngmaavin

Below attached is the list of parts I got from a dealership.

Sorry it's in Hebrew, but there are part numbers visible.

Prices are on the left, you can divide them by 3.5 roughly to get a USD amount.

While doing a quick research I found that there's almost no used parts from an R7, which is also a problem.

As I understood from a guy at customs, some used parts I can bring over, like mirrors and headlights if they're OEM.

youngmaavin

So here's the price list, with parts/labor coming to 11 thousand dollars.

Keep in mind new R7 costs 17 thousand here and my previous bike is financed, so I have to keep paying for it.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.828a6678728208e2f1041c9e9f85c79d.jpg

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.2af8faa57a956c27f298be4b8cb83e45.jpg

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.924509893e5b2c7db1063bf15ff48d1e.jpg

youngmaavin

PART NUMBER    PRICE      QTY    PART    
BEB2581T0000    645.25    1     Disk Brake Assembly    
901090625400    12.16      1     Bolt    
BEB231030000    4423.34    1   Front Fork Assembly (Righthand)    
BEB231020000    4423.34    1   Front Fork Assembly (Lefthand)    
933999993200    257.03      1   Bearing    
3FV234620000    106.97      1        
BEBW003B0000    218.96     1        
2DR251680098    1783.65    1    Front wheel    
933062035200    75             1        
931022501700     33.7         1        
903871701700     35.32       1        
BEB261210000     625          1        
BEB261220000     607.55     1    Right handlebar    
39P262460000     157.16     1        
BEBW26160000     429.87    1    Lever    
BEBW283U1033     1,352.11    1    Main faring panel 1    
BEBW283V1033     1,352.11    1    Main faring panel 2    
BEB2834C1000     0              1        
BEB2835C1000     103.65     1        
BEB2836L0000     255.32     1        
904801400300     15.06       1        
BEB2834W10P1    863.34     1    Protector (fairing?)    ?
BEB2172H0033     958.45     1    Lower fairing 1    
BEB2837M00P1    385.66     1    Panel    ?
BEB262900000     514.57     1    Right handlebar    
BEB2835H0000     696.75    1     Plastic headlight housing    
BEB2835G0033     995.46     1    Front fairing panel    ?
BEBY2C3610P1    581.84      1    PLATE, FR. ASSY    ?
BN6283810000     1,084.90    1    Windscreen    
BEB283560000     906.11       1    Bracket somewhere in the front    ?
BEB283650000     405.9         1    Cover    ?
BEB833200000     232.1         1        
904640701100     0               1        
BEB843020000     672.18       1    DRL 1    
BEB843000100     3,861.30    1    Headlight    
BEB843010000     1,125.01    1    DRL 2    
BEB217210033     736.21       1    Rear side fairing    
BEB2171M0000     197.99      1        
BEB216510100     167.77       1        
BEB272110000     408.46       1    Brake pedal    
BEB274460000     277.49       1        
904641401000     8.71           1        
FRT-8555             300            8        

This is the parts list I extracted from the file, sorry about wonky formatting, I can't upload excel spreadsheet here.

I outlined the most expensive parts in English.

If you have any idea what some of them can be replaced with (new, aftermarket) or if you have a used part like this, please let me know.

Some of the parts have "?" after them, I can't really understand what the part is, if you can help identifying exactly what it is, would be great.

Thanks as always.

Edited by youngmaavin

Wow 😳 What happened? Are you ok?? 

That's crazy how the front brake discs are separated at the buttons and knocked apart. Hopefully the forks aren't actually damaged and they're just twisted out of position. 

Do you have to replace everything back to original condition? Do you have the option to leave the expensive bodywork off and just use whatever headlight you want? 

youngmaavin
30 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Wow 😳 What happened? Are you ok?? 

There was a traffic jam after a blind corner in a tunnel off a highway exit, no way left or right.

Hit the back of a stopped car, flew off.

I was wearing full leathers with a back protector, which 100% saved me.

Can't walk really, all the muscles in my left leg are mashed, I think the bike fell on it and I have a concussion, but no broken bones or internal bleeding.

The bike on the other hand... 

youngmaavin
35 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

That's crazy how the front brake discs are separated at the buttons and knocked apart. Hopefully the forks aren't actually damaged and they're just twisted out of position. 

Dealership told me front forks are severely bent and need replacing, they said I can't even reuse the internals.

I'm not 100% sure about that, since i thought they looked salvageable maybe,

But they are definitely twisted heavily to the side, when i put the handlebars straight, the wheel looks 20 degrees to the side.

Don't know if in this case forks can be repaired.

Edited by youngmaavin
  • Like 1

youngmaavin
35 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Do you have to replace everything back to original condition? Do you have the option to leave the expensive bodywork off and just use whatever headlight you want? 

I'm planning on buying as much aftermarket as I can, including bodywork.

I'd love to buy all the OEM used parts, but my country doesn't allow used forks imports, for example.

I don't know of any aftermarket company, that sells assembled new forks that would fit, even ohlins makes internals only as I understand.

1 hour ago, youngmaavin said:

There was a traffic jam after a blind corner in a tunnel off a highway exit, no way left or right.

Hit the back of a stopped car, flew off.

I was wearing full leathers with a back protector, which 100% saved me.

Can't walk really, all the muscles in my left leg are mashed, I think the bike fell on it and I have a concussion, but no broken bones or internal bleeding.

The bike on the other hand... 

Man, that's scary. I've had a couple close calls with blind corners that really put the fear in me. It's so easy to not think that far ahead when you get excited. Glad you didn't get hurt worse. Hope you get back to feeling 100% soon. 

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Gosh, glad you're not seriously injured. I'm sorry I can't help you with getting parts into Israel; here in the "lawless" U.S., used parts can be found (once you figure out who the scammers are), and new OEM and after-market parts are usually available. For what it is worth, Ohlins makes complete forks but they are frightfully expensive.

Before buying parts, I suggest you try to determine if the frame is bent. With the force that went through the front wheel and forks, I'd be concerned about whether the triple clamps and frame are bent/twisted as well. Here, there are places that do frame straightening, so a bent frame isn't necessarily fatal; dunno about Israel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, youngmaavin said:

Dealership told me front forks are severely bent and need replacing, they said I can't even reuse the internals.

I'm not 100% sure about that, since i thought they looked salvageable maybe,

But they are definitely twisted heavily to the side, when i put the handlebars straight, the wheel looks 20 degrees to the side.

Don't know if in this case forks can be repaired.

Quite possible they are bent since you hit the back of a car. Can't tell by looking at pictures, but they really don't seem bent at all.  Completely normal for them to get twisted around in the yokes and be pointing crooked. Here's hoping you get lucky on these 🤞

youngmaavin
7 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I'm sorry I can't help you with getting parts into Israel; here in the "lawless" U.S., used parts can be found (once you figure out who the scammers are), and new OEM and after-market parts are usually available.

I suggest you try to determine if the frame is bent.

You have any suggestion on where to look for used parts? I know that I'll save a bunch if I can find used headlights and front wheel.

As for the frame I will try to get it to a shop to check, really hope it's not bent and the wheel/front took all the damage. 

youngmaavin
10 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Quite possible they are bent since you hit the back of a car. Can't tell by looking at pictures, but they really don't seem bent at all.  Completely normal for them to get twisted around in the yokes and be pointing crooked. Here's hoping you get lucky on these 🤞

You have any suggestion on how to check if the forks are bent for yourself? Would the force required for them to twist while they're torqued down in the yoke not bend the yoke/forks as well?

Finally, is it realistic to replace the outer tubes/parts that are attached to the wheel, while keeping old internals?

I constantly twist the forks on my dirt bikes. Sometimes more than once a day. It's a very common thing to do. 

I didn't hit a car , but I lowsided my FZ07 once and the forks got twisted when the bike slid off the road and in to a ditch. About a year ago I did the same thing with my FZ 09. Playing too hard, lowsided, bike hits ditch, forks twisted. Nothing bent, just had to realign everything. 

You'll just have to inspect yourself when you feel better. Take them off the bike and use a straight edge against them. If you don't see anything obvious the next thing I do is drain the oil, remove the springs and reassemble without no spring inside.  That way you can move the tubes back and forth easily.  Leave the fork cap halfway unscrewed so air can escape and fully collapse - extend the fork.If there are any kinks or bends you will feel the tubes bind up. If it moves freely, you got lucky! 

• Like 2

M. Hausknecht
2 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

You have any suggestion on where to look for used parts? I know that I'll save a bunch if I can find used headlights and front wheel.

As for the frame I will try to get it to a shop to check, really hope it's not bent and the wheel/front took all the damage. 

In the U.S. there are essentially four distinct options for OEM parts: Yamaha dealers (new only); independent on-line retailers (Revzilla, Motosport, Partzilla, etc., cost typically lower than most Yamaha dealers); independent bike shops that buy wrecked/well-used bikes and part them out; and guys who buy wrecked bikes or replace stock stuff on their bikes and sell used parts. Shipping and duty will be your challenges.

Is that the same R7 that had engine problem at low miles? Curious about the Warranty claim.

7 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

...my country doesn't allow used imports of forks, for example, very strict laws.

Also every part is taxed at 50% upon entering the country.

May want to consider moving...

Edited by Lone Wolf

youngmaavin
15 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Is that the same R7 that had engine problem at low miles? Curious about the Warranty claim.

May want to consider moving...

Man I wish. I moved here only about a year ago, from a worse country.

I'd love to come to US some day or Australia, which is a dream country for me, but that's not possible for now.

Warranty claimed worked out, and a month later I binned the bike.

Just my luck... or stupidity...

youngmaavin
1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Guys who buy wrecked bikes or replace stock stuff on their bikes and sell used parts. Shipping and duty will be your challenges.

You know any reputable people/shops like that?

If I could buy some plastics/headlights/wheel used that'd be great.

I tried googling salvage auctions, but looks like they don't part out their bikes.

46 minutes ago, youngmaavin said:

Warranty claimed worked out

Not to detour this thread - but are you able to talk about that?

I fully understand why you deleted the original thread. Low mile motor piston - valve failure.

47 minutes ago, youngmaavin said:

Have you tried logging on to Ebay and search United States auctions? If you had PayPal it seems you could buy what you want.

M. Hausknecht
3 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

You know any reputable people/shops like that?

I tried googling salvage auctions, but looks like they don't part out their bikes.

BobbleHeadMoto, owner is Emersom Amaya. I trust him, for what that is worth. I don't know if he has any R7 parts right now but he might, because he has built a at least a few R7 race bikes over the last year or two. Ebay store here:

s-l300.jpg

We specialize in used race/aftermarket and OEM parts for late model sport bikes. With many years of experience racing from novice to...

Emerson's email address: emerson@bobbleheadmoto.com. And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bobbleheadmoto.

Auction operators here don't part out bikes.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, youngmaavin said:

You have any suggestion...

...As for the frame I will try to get it to a shop to check, really hope it's not bent

Suggest you could find a shop that would assert the frame is bent beyond repair, and vin#/frame could never be registered for public roads again by your Israeli "Department of Transportation". A letter refusing any future registration of this "bent frame Vin#".

Insurance company forced to "write it off" by your attorney?

So, who fixed your blown motor issue from a couple of months ago? Yamaha?  Remember the thread that disappeared.

youngmaavin
13 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Not to detour this thread - but are you able to talk about that?

You can PM me and I'll tell you about it.

Don't want to talk about it here.

youngmaavin
8 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Suggest you could find a shop that would assert the frame is bent beyond repair, and vin#/frame could never be registered for public roads again by your Israeli "Department of Transportation". A letter refusing any future registration of this "bent frame Vin#".

Insurance company forced to "write it off" by your attorney?

That would be the worst case scenario for me.

Since I'm at fault for the accident and the way insurance is structured here, I get nothing.

So if they write off the bike, I'm screwed. For now I at least have a chance to bring this back on the road.