The MT-07 Forum

What FZ-07 part would you build if u had the resources?

Cruizin

Me, I'd build new rear sets. The stock ones are ugly and if I had a tooling shop, I'd build new rear sets and sell them on here.

While on that subject, if anyone has any good ideas that they are thinking abut building, let me know. I am looking for more small supporting Vendors with skills an the ability to produce quality parts.

Which parts wold you build if you could?

• Premium Member

Yamaha didn't leave much to rework. I agree with the rear sets. If not those, then perhaps controls.. because the horn button really does suck, for my hands at least.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Please someone make rearsets so my pegs don't hit my calves when I am stopped.
This is the only one I've seen… Gilles. If you scroll through their news, you'll see them along with a other parts. They even built a new speedometer position in front of the ignition... 
Don't know if they're for sale or not tho...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Swingarm spool mounts. I too would like rearsets, I would specify AFFORDABLE, as they are usually expensive.

I want to be able to change the rear tire, so the sliders/spools through the axle doesn't solve it. Yamaha has the chain adjuster with spools, but it's $180, at that price, I'll just have a shop weld on the mounts.

Gilles is working on stuff for the FZ-07, including rearsets (why titanium on a budget bike?) and chain adjusters with spools. The adjustable footpegs look interesting, though their stuff is usually expensive.

http://www.gillestoolingusa.com/cms/news

Edit: Motomeek beat me to the Gilles stuff.

Graves motorsports just released the rear sets for our bike today 350.00 I will be on them as soon as I have funds for them

Graves motorsports just released the rear sets for our bike today 350.00 I will be on them as soon as I have funds for them
I just saw that too on Facebook. It does not look too different from our stock rearsets. I want mine up and back. They show 4 positions but they look to be a couple centimeters apart.

• Premium Member

I have the Gilles rearsets...They've been available as an official Yamaha UK accessory for a while now. When I first contacted them about selling them outside the UK, they told me they had a deal with Yamaha UK where they have to wait 3 months time before they could sell them as a normal Gilles part worldwide. That was a couple months ago I believe so they should be available outside the UK soon I'd think. I got mine from a vendor in the UK.

The Graves rearsets, as mentioned, don't look that much different than stock and their positioning looks minimal compared to the Gilles, which has their holes much farther apart, and more of them. Downside to the Gilles? Price. Especially if you import a set from the UK.

It seems like all the stuff I like for this bike either comes from the UK, or from Italy. Hopefully we'll get local companies here to produce some items we want for a reasonable price.

I'd like to see someone make an undertail. Currently, the only one I know of is by Ermax in France, which I ended up getting. It'd be nice though to be able to get some of these items locally instead of paying VAT and customs charges that cost more than the part itself :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

I'm still pondering the thought of making my front signal mounts/spacer things for the guys who change signals. I just don't have much free time for it, and it would involve buying some better/different tools.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

Adding ABS
I'm probably going to be wrong about this, but shouldn't you just be able to buy the ABS unit from someone in Europe and then just plug it in and use it? I have a feeling it is more complicated than that but is the principal the same?

I believe you would need the required wiring that may not be on the USA FZ-07s, as well as the speed sensors mounted down near the brake rotors, as well as those slotted-looking things the speed sensors get their signals from.

Personally, I'm so glad these bikes have no electronics like that (ABS or traction control).
I'll do that part myself and save the weight and cost.
Other than changing to full-on sport tires in the coming spring (anxious for that) and (probably at some point) buying an aftermarket rear shock, all I feel a need to do is to install all-metal serrated footpegs on the original footpeg mounts.Wouldn't be surprised if the ones from an R1 or R6 of some model year will do, as I've done this with past Yamahas.
I don't even want or need swingarm spools because one of my swingarm stands uses the rubber-coated L-shaped arms that lift the bottom edge of the swingarm.

Along with the light weight, I was also looking for a more upright ride position for my old bones ( and some bionic bits in my left hip) The footpegs are in an awkward position at stops for me as well, but they are near perfect when moving - and that's really all that counts after all. Just keep moving, lol. I don't even mind the rubber pads on the pegs, but an R1or 6 footpeg will likely swap right in if yer looking for serrated pegs. My Aprilia has 'em. They work fine for my Sidis, not so good for my work boots with lugged soles.

Oh, the Sidis are tall enough that the pegs hit the boots at a stop, not my legs. A simple low-side boo can result in a footpeg doing huge damage to one's lower legs. Just food for thought.

The biggest change I'll make is a decent rear shock (Penske or Nitron). I won't even go the remote 2/3 clicker thing either. I'll never be on a track and all of those adjustment combinations(especially with high and low speed compression) are too much for my addled brain. The basic rebound adjuster that also bumps compression damping at the same time will be plenty good enough.

Archived