The MT-07 Forum

Race bike is ready for new season

cosp600rr

Just about finished getting the bike all ready for the new season. This will be the 4th season on this bike since getting it back in 2020. This years changes are a new R7 front end with Robem adjustable triples, Ktech DDS cartridges. Also had the motor refreshed by Matt Spicer at Robem Engineering since it had 2 seasons on it. 

Really looking forward to the season starting and warmer weather. If there are any other racers left in here lets see those bikes!!

IMG_20230326_161806187_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20230312_164704631_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230312_164716608_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Looking good Mat. Good luck this season. 

Ed

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht

Nice bike. Where and with whom are you going to race this season?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Nice bike. Where and with whom are you going to race this season?  

Thanks!! Im in Colorado and race with the MRA. Maybe will do a couple rounds with AHRMA when they are at Hastings and Topeka but not sure on those yet. They are back to back weekends and back up to one of my regular race weekends so 3 weekends in a row might be tough. 

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
1 minute ago, cosp600rr said:

Thanks!! Im in Colorado and race with the MRA. Maybe will do a couple rounds with AHRMA when they are at Hastings and Topeka but not sure on those yet. They are back to back weekends and back up to one of my regular race weekends so 3 weekends in a row might be tough. 

I started my racing season with AHRMA, on my Kramer, at Roebling Road in February and at Carolina Motorsport Park in March. Turn out at both events was great. Its nearly 1300 miles for me one way to Topeka but I plan on running both events. Come play! But yeah, 3 weekends in a row can be tough.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I started my racing season with AHRMA, on my Kramer, at Roebling Road in February and at Carolina Motorsport Park in March. Turn out at both events was great. Its nearly 1300 miles for me one way to Topeka but I plan on running both events. Come play! But yeah, 3 weekends in a row can be tough.   

We will have to see how it all shakes out. I will be instructing at the new racers school for the MRA in 2 weeks and it just snowed here this morning... Winter is just hanging on at the moment. LOL

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, cosp600rr said:

Just about finished getting the bike all ready for the new season. This will be the 4th season on this bike since getting it back in 2020. This years changes are a new R7 front end with Robem adjustable triples, Ktech DDS cartridges. Also had the motor refreshed by Matt Spicer at Robem Engineering since it had 2 seasons on it. 

Really looking forward to the season starting and warmer weather. If there are any other racers left in here lets see those bikes!!

IMG_20230326_161806187_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20230312_164704631_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230312_164716608_HDR.jpg

As much as I truly appreciate all the full-blown conversions folks are doing to the FZ/MT-07's, I can't ride/race them any more... I'm 54 years old, and I have a fused neck, and titanium hardware near my spinal cord (NOT from a crash). I race with a "Leatte'" road-race specific neck brace to prevent further damage. My range of motion in my neck is VERY limited. As such, I could never reap any benefits from racing a bike with full bodywork...

Most the folks here probably remember @mossrider..... I helped him "pit" at Road America for a MotoAmerica event. He encouraged me to get my race license, and even offered to let me race his FZ-07 to do so!!! I threw a leg over his FZ-07, and I could literally only lift my head enough to see about 20 feet in front of the bike.... All I could think was "nope", not gonna work out-

Last year I decided to get my race license, and used my "naked" FZ-07 to do so. I had the time of my life!!!! I was kind of inspired the "Super-Hooligan" class in MotoAmerica. It was soooo cool to see naked bikes racing, I went for it!!!! Granted, I know I'm at a disadvantage, but it is very satisfying to pass another FZ-07 with full bodywork....

I race in the CRA (club-racing)... Truth is @mossrider, raced in that same club, and he has been a great mentor to me. He even found another "old-guy" they call "Wild Bill", to race my bike in the 5-hour endurance race with me in September!!! We still need another rider, but I think by September we can find a third rider!!! Most folks that look at my "naked" FZ-07 are impressed- or maybe those that don't just keep their "pie-hole-shut"???? Either way, I'm looking forward to a great season!!! I'm attaching pics (because its fun)-

Woodcraft 07.JPG

CRA high viz.JPG

Naked CRA.JPG

• Like 6

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Naked CRA.JPG

How are you doing with the tire warmer on the rear with the Akrapovic Ti pipe? Are you doing 180/55/17 or 180/60/17?

Good Luck this season @cornerslider

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Funny, I was considering slicks and warmers this year, but decided to stick with the Dunlops, going to Q5's this season.. 

It never occurred to me that the clearance is so tight with the Akra Ti and a 180/60 that a warmer might not fit. 

I already use a 42 rear sproket to move the wheel back in the swing arm. I still get two rubber marks on the exhaust when the tire grows fro  acceleration or flexes in hard turns.  

Ed

• Like 2

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

As much as I truly appreciate all the full-blown conversions folks are doing to the FZ/MT-07's, I can't ride/race them any more... I'm 54 years old, and I have a fused neck, and titanium hardware near my spinal cord (NOT from a crash). I race with a "Leatte'" road-race specific neck brace to prevent further damage. My range of motion in my neck is VERY limited. As such, I could never reap any benefits from racing a bike with full bodywork...

Most the folks here probably remember @mossrider..... I helped him "pit" at Road America for a MotoAmerica event. He encouraged me to get my race license, and even offered to let me race his FZ-07 to do so!!! I threw a leg over his FZ-07, and I could literally only lift my head enough to see about 20 feet in front of the bike.... All I could think was "nope", not gonna work out-

Last year I decided to get my race license, and used my "naked" FZ-07 to do so. I had the time of my life!!!! I was kind of inspired the "Super-Hooligan" class in MotoAmerica. It was soooo cool to see naked bikes racing, I went for it!!!! Granted, I know I'm at a disadvantage, but it is very satisfying to pass another FZ-07 with full bodywork....

I race in the CRA (club-racing)... Truth is @mossrider, raced in that same club, and he has been a great mentor to me. He even found another "old-guy" they call "Wild Bill", to race my bike in the 5-hour endurance race with me in September!!! We still need another rider, but I think by September we can find a third rider!!! Most folks that look at my "naked" FZ-07 are impressed- or maybe those that don't just keep their "pie-hole-shut"???? Either way, I'm looking forward to a great season!!! I'm attaching pics (because its fun)-

Woodcraft 07.JPG

CRA high viz.JPG

Naked CRA.JPG

Your bike looks great. I prefer the naked look myself. My reason to go with race fairings was to get lower clips ons so I could get lower om the bike. On a naked look, I would have to remove the air scoops and then find a way to make it look good again. 

Anyway,  your bike looks great. Good luck this season. 

Ed

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider
13 minutes ago, fzar said:

How are you doing with the tire warmer on the rear with the Akrapovic Ti pipe? Are you doing 180/55/17 or 180/60/17?

Good Luck this season @cornerslider

I switched from Michelin, to Pirelli on my last race weekend (September 2022). I switched from the 180/55/17 Michelins, to a 180/60/17 Pirelli.. I never even got a practice lap on the Pirelli's. I did my first race on them on a damp/cold track, with temps in the mid-50's.... I figure I "tried" the Pirellis' in the worst possible scenario, and NEVER lost traction. The warmers never interfered with the exhaust either.  I also dropped one tooth in the front gearing. I'm looking forward to trying them in the heat!!!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/28/2023 at 7:04 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Funny, I was considering slicks and warmers this year, but decided to stick with the Dunlops, going to Q5's this season.. 

It never occurred to me that the clearance is so tight with the Akra Ti and a 180/60 that a warmer might not fit. 

I already use a 42 rear sproket to move the wheel back in the swing arm. I still get two rubber marks on the exhaust when the tire grows fro  acceleration or flexes in hard turns.  

Ed

I rode on Dunlops for many years.... I trusted them 100%. They stick well, and when they "fall-off", you get plenty of warning. Once I "outgrew" the Q3+, I tried the Michelin Cup 2's. The sidewall is much softer, and has more "flex".... I felt like I could feel EVERY pebble in the asphalt, and it was kind of "over-stimulating" on the first day.... Once I learned that information/feedback from the tire is a good thing, I enjoyed them more. I only tried the Pirellis' in September, because "maybe I don't know, what I don't know"???? I tried them in the worst possible conditions (cold/damp track). I'm optimistic about trying them in the heat!!! My only concern is when they "fall-off", if will be a gradual thing like the Dunlops, or if it will be a sudden "Oh-$hit" moment-

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
12 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I rode on Dunlops for many years.... I trusted them 100%. They stick well, and when they "fall-off", you get plenty of warning. Once I "outgrew" the Q3+, I tried the Michelin Cup 2's. The sidewall is much softer, and has more "flex".... I felt like I could feel EVERY pebble in the asphalt, and it was kind of "over-stimulating" on the first day.... Once I learned that information/feedback from the tire is a good thing, I enjoyed them more. I only tried the Pirellis' in September, because "maybe I don't know, what I don't know"???? I tried them in the worst possible conditions (cold/damp track). I'm optimistic about trying them in the heat!!! My only concern is when they "fall-off", if will be a gradual thing like the Dunlops, or if it will be a sudden "Oh-$hit" moment-

I can only speak to the comparative performance of current generation Dunlop and Pirelli slicks. I've used up 3-4 sets of both brands on my 07. My experience seems to be consistent with what other riders have reported. The Dunlops (irrespective of compound) have stiff carcasses, so you feel every pebble, seam, and irregularity in the pavement. They grip well when hot, and lose grip fairly suddenly and without warning. The 180/60 rear Dunlop is nearly 190mm wide, and because it is a 60 series tire (rather than the stock 55), its extra height requires adjustment to the front end (raising it and/or altering fork offset).

The 180/60 Pirelli slicks are very close in height to the Dunlops, but not quite as wide. They are also more difficult to find these days because the Pirelli 190/60 rear slick is only slightly bigger and is made to fit a 5 1/2" rim. All the guys on 600s who used the Pirelli 180 rear are now using the 190 and preferring it (more edge grip). The 180/60 rear is needed for the Kramer GP2R, however, so that is why Pirelli is still making them. The carcass of the Pirelli rears is softer than the Dunlops, so it absorbs a lot of the "noise" you get from the Dunlops. I can feel when it starts to slip, more than the Dunlop rears. The Pirelli SC2 front tire is similar in feel to the Dunlop fronts but with a slightly softer carcass. It grips well but gives more warning than the Dunlops when it starts to slide. The SC1 front has a much softer carcass than the Dunlop fronts so, again like the rears, you don't feel every imperfection in the track through the handlebars, pegs, and seat. The SC1 front grips hard and seems to give the most warning through the bars (as long as I'm loose enough on the bars to feel it) when it starts to go. 

I prefer the feel of the Pirelli slicks. Irrespective, both brands of slicks require tire warmers (180F degree minimum, 190F better), and they are at their best only if you can ride them hard enough to keep them hot (180F to 200F). Even the SC1s (work best in the heat) have manageable grip when the track is 60F (sucks the heat right out of the tires), but no where near what they have when you can keep them hot. As an example, at an AHRMA event at CMP recently lap times were about 2 seconds slower because of the cold. On my Kramer, I started out at 195 degrees off the warmers and then lost 2 psi front and rear during the 8 laps on track. The tires felt barely warm when I put the tire warmers back on after returning to the paddock. The SC2 Pirellis are more accommodating of the cold but there aren't any 180/55 SC2 rears these days, which is the size I need for my Kramer (180/60 rubs the chain badly).   

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I appreciate your input. I'm running SC1 front, and SC2 rear (slicks). I'm running a 180/60 in the rear. We have a Pirelli vendor in our club, so I just followed his lead. Like I said, I only have 10 laps on them (in cold/damp conditions), and I liked what I saw felt so far. 

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

With Kramer U.S. so close to you, I'd expect your local Pirelli guy will stock the 180/60 rears as long as he can. It's interesting, the 180/55 is much lighter than the 180/60, over a pound which, being rotating weight and all, is a big deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prepped for CMP (ASRA/CCS) this weekend.  Third season on this bike, first season with white plates.  Run most of the mid-Atlantic rounds and then Daytona if everything goes well.

Tim

54289236-1971-4F82-B60E-CB3260EDB123.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Just got back from CMP last night from the 2nd round of the WERA/N2 National Endurance Series. I'm part of Team TBEXUSA Racing. We are paraplegic racers running the whole series. Last year our team took 1st place in the Relay class (by running one more round than any other team LOL). Pic is from round 1 Road Atlanta May 26th, 2023.

RA 5-26 a resize.jpg

Edited by 50Joe
  • Like 6

• Global Moderator
20 hours ago, 50Joe said:

...I'm part of Team TBEXUSA Racing. Last year our team took 1st place in the Relay class (by running one more round than any other team LOL).

Pic is from round 1 Road Atlanta May 26th, 2023.

RA 5-26 a resize.jpg

Haha winz is za win! No need to give up the details! ✅

• Like 3