The MT-07 Forum

R7 Akrapovic exhaust full system

Rtw1day

Has anyone installed one on a MT/FZ?

it looks a bit interesting, I wonder what the sound & performance is when compared to the MT Akrapovic

E839B969-7FFA-4338-A04F-FC2070BD13BC.jpeg

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I did a bit of research on this system.... I'm all about all things Akrapovic. They build high quality/premium exhaust systems. This system looks to be street legal, as it has a "catalytic-converter" incorporated into it. The $1900+ price tag seems a bit high, for what it is.... I feel that Akrapovic is the only manufacturer to be attempting the roll with the changes in the aftermarket exhaust market. I know in the "end-game" they will be successful. While I don't own a R7, it appears that Akrapovic moved the location of the O2 sensor port to be much closer the exhaust ports compared to  the engine the FZ/MT-07 variant off the CP2 platform...  I can't say if the O2 sensor wires would reach it in that location???? I doubt anyone that buys this system will be disappointed, but if you don't care about the "legal" aspects of it, I think there are better options available... I personally run the Akrapovic Ti "under-belly" exhaust system on my dedicated race-only 07. I bought my Akra for one reason- EVERYTHING that can get wrecked in a track/racing incident, is under the bike/NOT hanging off the side of the bike looking to be wrecked... If my personal Akrapovic exhaust gets wrecked in a crash, I obviously have MUCH bigger issues than my exhaust system that is 100% protected by the motor & wheels.... If the wheels get destroyed in a crash, the exhaust system is the last thing I'm concerned with-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I've also become a fan of underbelly exhaust. Like @cornerslider said, they're pretty crash proof. They also stay out of the way of burning legs, luggage and straps. Plus, weight down low. 

But a nice upswept system does have a bit of a hotrod look that I love. I really like the styling on the muffler in the picture. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
Grip it & Rip it

I would love to know if this would fit our bikes… are all of the mounting points the same? If all I had to do is get the longer 02 sensor cable from the r7 I’d totally do it

I doubt it would be compatible. The headers would be the same, but the mounting points at the passenger pegs appears to be different.

image.thumb.png.0f31e5a4942f63d2df91b06fd8cad758.png

The Akrapovic carbon is only for the MT07, but someone with an R7 was able to make it work with some light mods.

9e147b4d-b9e7-4156-be8f-a0bd116ff61e-jpe

I bit the bullet and purchased a Akropovic Loop type exhaust. I have been looking for months and it seemed like a lot of places were sold...

• Premium Member
cornerslider
15 hours ago, Grip it & Rip it said:

I would love to know if this would fit our bikes… are all of the mounting points the same? If all I had to do is get the longer 02 sensor cable from the r7 I’d totally do it

May I ask why???? I'm not in disagreement/saying you're "wrong"- just trying to understand.... When "new" bikes get released, the aftermarket parts are REALLY expensive (because they're new). Aftermarket companies are trying to re-coup their investment into the R&D that went into the new system... We as FZ/MT-07 owners are in a good spot to get some appropriately priced exhaust systems, because our bikes have been around since 2015 (in the USA). I paid about $900 for my Akra Ti underbelly exhaust in 2016. I can't imagine that the latest/greatest is $1000 "better".... Just MY thoughts, you do you-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

4 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I can't imagine that the latest/greatest is $1000 "better".... Just MY thoughts, you do you-

Funny, I saw that exhaust on the R7 today on the highway. Sounded good but not obnoxious. Not sure where the 2k price tag is? Would that be for the Euro5 compliant exhaust? Not worth it for 2k.

image.thumb.png.1159de6d84901f33536a57642d25f5ca.png

Edited by tomlichu

Grip it & Rip it
7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

May I ask why???? I'm not in disagreement/saying you're "wrong"- just trying to understand.... When "new" bikes get released, the aftermarket parts are REALLY expensive (because they're new). Aftermarket companies are trying to re-coup their investment into the R&D that went into the new system... We as FZ/MT-07 owners are in a good spot to get some appropriately priced exhaust systems, because our bikes have been around since 2015 (in the USA). I paid about $900 for my Akra Ti underbelly exhaust in 2016. I can't imagine that the latest/greatest is $1000 "better".... Just MY thoughts, you do you-

the main appeal is that it’s catted. I find the concept of paying a bunch for an aftermarket exhaust to then pollute more than before to be disagreeable. Aren’t a lot of catted options for our bikes, theres the yoshimura y series which is discontinued though you can still find them on ebay, and I think you can get catalytic converter add ons for the akra and the arrow. that $1900 figure you keep quoting is outdated at this point- the catted version sells for $1,376. Akra ti is $1,090 but the add on catalytic converter is between $300 and almost $600, so the R7 system is actually cheaper. I also like the look, though I’d have to do a mock up in photoshop to see how it actually looks on the bike. Also still unclear if the R7 footpeg bracket is in the same place

Edited by Grip it & Rip it
  • Like 1

So I've been out of the game for a while, but it looks like there have been some updated emissions restrictions? Is Akra is putting cats in the headers now?  

I guess that's a contributing factor to the 2k price tag 

4 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

So I've been out of the game for a while, but it looks like there have been some updated emissions restrictions? Is Akra is putting cats in the headers now?  

I guess that's a contributing factor to the 2k price tag 

Yes that would make sense. You can get the exhaust with a cat now to meet emissions standards in Europe. Just by doing a quick Google search, I see them selling for ~$500.